French physicist arrested for terrorist connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
When people think about terrorist I think many think about people using simple devices and everyday common items. I doubt they think much about others that might be a lot more educated like the person below. He has many papers published and is very well educated. The fact he was working with terrorist is a bit unsettling. Makes me wonder how many resources terrorist actually have. This isn't some guy who knows how to make a pipe bomb.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s...=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
Oct 12, 12:19 PM EDT

Preliminary charges filed against French physicist

PARIS (AP) -- A French judicial official says preliminary charges have been filed against a physicist who works at the world's largest atom smasher and is suspected of al-Qaida links.

The 32-year-old Frenchman of Algerian origin, who works on the Large Hadron Collider, is suspected of involvement with North African group Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb.

A French judicial official says preliminary charges were filed Monday for "criminal association with a terrorist enterprise." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

Under French law, filing preliminary charges gives the investigator time to pursue the inquiry before deciding whether to send a suspect for trial or drop the case.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

PARIS (AP) - A French physicist working at the world's largest atom smasher who is suspected of links to al-Qaida appeared Monday before a magistrate who will decide whether to file preliminary charges against him.

The 32-year-old Frenchman of Algerian origin, who works on the Large Hadron Collider, is suspected of involvement with Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, a North African group that targets Algerian government forces and sometimes attacks foreigners. He was arrested Thursday in France.

French judicial officials say the suspect has acknowledged that he corresponded online with the group and vaguely discussed plans for terror attacks. In line with French judicial policy, he has not been identified.

Under French law, preliminary charges mean the investigating judge has determined there is strong evidence to suggest involvement in a crime. It gives the investigator time to pursue the inquiry before deciding whether to send the suspects for trial or drop the case.

The well-educated physicist is one of more than 7,000 scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider, which straddles the border between France and Switzerland.

"This guy has a doctorate in particle physics, so he's clearly an intelligent person. It does take some intelligence, it does take some dedication to achieve qualifications at that level," said James Gillies, spokeman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known as CERN, which operates the collider.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
From the reports I have seen this guy never really got close to the HC itself.

I guess we have to give the French partial credit for catching the guy ---- even if they do like whine and cheese.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

I guess we have to give the French partial credit for catching the guy ---- even if they do like whine and cheese.

It wasn't about the HC, that wasn't what he was discussing with them. He was talking about other nuclear sites, like power plants as targets.

Besides his knowledge in the nuclear area, my bigger concern is that he is very knowledgeable in a lot of areas just by his qualifications. People that have that level of knowledge are great at coming up with ideas and ways of doing things that someone who hasn't had that formal education might overlook.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I'd be interested in seeing the evidence the authorities used to charge him.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

It wasn't about the HC, that wasn't what he was discussing with them. He was talking about other nuclear sites, like power plants as targets.

Besides his knowledge in the nuclear area, my bigger concern is that he is very knowledgeable in a lot of areas just by his qualifications. People that have that level of knowledge are great at coming up with ideas and ways of doing things that someone who hasn't had that formal education might overlook.

It will be interesting to see how everything shakes out.

For all we know right now the guy may have thought he could steal antimatter, build a starship with warp drive, and then crash it into the Klingon Empire.

Some of the smartest folks I know are highly unbalanced with poor social skills and little common sense - LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.