French Magazine Publishes Lewd Muhammad Cartoons

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Should be interesting to see where this leads:

A French magazine's publication today of "crude caricatures" depicting the Prophet Muhammad has that nation on alert and preparing to close 20 of its embassies in Muslim nations.

As France 24 writes, the publication of the images by the weekly Charlie Hebdo comes "amid growing unrest over an anti-Islamic film that has left dozens dead." The victims include the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, who died on Sept. 11 after an attack on the American consulate in Benghazi. The video's makers have been identified as residents of California — the key figure is said to be an Egyptian-born, naturalized American, Coptic Christian named Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.

According to France 24, "the illustrations, which show the Prophet Mohammed naked and refer to the incendiary ... film which has been fueling deadly unrest among Muslim communities for over a week, hit newsstands across France on Wednesday. The magazine's editor, Stephane Charbonnier, told reporters that the pictures, which are printed on the back page, will 'shock those who will want to be shocked.' "

The Associated Press says "riot police took up positions outside the offices of the magazine, which was firebombed last year after it released an edition that mocked radical Islam."

After Charlie Hebdo's satirical issue was published last November, not only were its offices firebombed, but its website was hacked. That appears to have happened again today. The site is not displaying at this hour.

Here is how Reuters describes the cartoons published today:

"One of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons, entitled 'Mohammad: a star is born,' depicted a bearded figure crouching over to display naked buttocks and genitals, a star covering his anus.

"A second cartoon, in reference to the scandal over a French magazine's decision to publish topless photos of the wife of Britain's Prince William, showed a topless, bearded character with the caption: 'Riots in Arab countries after photos of Mrs Mohammad are published.' "

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/09/19/161394146/france-on-alert-closing-embassies-after-magazine-publishes-muhammad-cartoons

I can't decide whether this is a directed slight to further an anti-Islamic agenda or a purposeful display showing the west will not abandon its freedom of speech lightly. (Its probably the first)

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Good for them. Maybe if people keep mocking Muhammed muslims will eventually get over it.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
...the pictures, which are printed on the back page, will 'shock those who will want to be shocked.' "

this. if you let it bother you, then you're full of fail

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
SWEET, maybe the french will have a brain and arm their guards with real weapons.....so theyre not sitting ducks like we were. I think everyone should find a pen pal fundamentalist and mail him somthing lude about Muhammad. America needs to stop letting these people get away with their insanity.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
Only christians do bad things. Muslims are just misunderstood, especially with regard to rape, murder, and vandalizing things they find "offensive."

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
My how the world has changed, I never thought I'd see the day when the French had bigger balls than the United States.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Maybe unlike the rest of Europe they don't want to be overrun by Muslims.

According to USAToday most of Europe published the original cartoons in 2005 so Europe is less scared of islamic fundamentalists than the US where even South Park was censored.

This paper was fire bombed last year for:

Last November the magazine's front-page, was subtitled "Sharia Hebdo," a reference to Islamic law, and showed caricatures of radical Muslims. The newspaper's offices were destroyed in a firebomb attack just hours before the edition hit newsstands.

USAToday link

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
France is the country that passed bans on hijabs. They've already abandoned freedom of speech/expression.

They did not ban hajibs, they banned niqabs.

France becomes the first country to enforce a ban against the niqab, or Muslim face veil Monday, when new legislation comes into force.

Twenty-four-year old university student Yamina wears the hijab -- a full veil that does not cover the face. "I'm wearing the hijab and not the niqab because I haven't got the opportunity,” she said. “Because the laws are against us and against the Muslims."

The claim is mostly due to security reasons, afaik.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I wonder if this could be the one and only victory for trolls. Essentially keep trolling the Muslims until they are just completely desensitized and run out of outrage.

Then they could take their act out on each religion until they all just get over their self-importance.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
This is a good thing. I would hope that the world of infidels would publish at least once a week some shit about this so called religion of islam. Then maybe the muslim world would get real tired of demonstrating all the time and get back to tending their goats.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The French have spit out some of the greatest minds of all time, in fact American liberty was essentially born in France

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
I wonder if this could be the one and only victory for trolls. Essentially keep trolling the Muslims until they are just completely desensitized and run out of outrage.

Then they could take their act out on each religion until they all just get over their self-importance.

this ^^^^^^^

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
are there any protest with burning the french flag and chanting France is the great Satan?