French lawyer offers to represent Saddam in court.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Pers
hicks piss me off. how do you guys get internet connections in your trailers??

Same way you get connections in your commune.

I have nothing against french people or any other group of people.
I found this amusing because France was the biggest defender of Saddam and had significant financial reasons to oppose the war.
I just find it fitting that it is now a French lawyer who is volunteering to defend Saddam again.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti

I found this amusing because France was the biggest defender of Saddam and had significant financial reasons to oppose the war.
I just find it fitting that it is now a French lawyer who is volunteering to defend Saddam again.

aww the hick got offended...hold my hand and sing koombaya with me?

"i have nothing against french people...but uhm...i ....find it necessary to point out the dude was french because...um..this indicates how low french people are....but i'm not racist"

go watch the nascar channel and quit posting please.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: nick1985
figures a frenchmen volunteers for defending a mass murderer, but wont volunteer to help oust him.

Last time I checked, official US foriegn policy doesn't dictate that we oust all foreign dictators accused of mass murder. If that were the case, we'd be heavily occupying several African nations right now as well (which we are not).

See, this is one thing I can't seem to even makeup a conclusion for. Africa would be pretty much ours, the Soviet Union would have been invaded long ago. China, well, you get the picture.

Saddam, an evil tyrant, gives us an excuse to attack preemptively! Looks like we're going to be busy for a loooooooong time, fellas. We have a long way to go.

rolleye.gif

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002

"i have nothing against french people...but uhm...i ....find it necessary to point out the dude was french because...um..this indicates how low french people are....but i'm not racist"

Wow, I knew you were an idiot, but this makes it even more clear.
FIRST OF ALL, MORON, I DIDN'T POINT OUT THAT THE GUY WAS FRENCH.
Why did you put quotes around something I didn't say.
I never said anything negative about French people.
I found it amusing that when France was the biggest defender of Saddam, they are now the country volunteering legal defense. There is nothing racist at all in stating that.
If you are reading racism into that, you've got to get the chip off your shoulder and the stick out of your ass. Not everthing in this world is about the man holding you down.
And I don't have a tractor, a truck, a gun, watch Nascar, beat my wife, have a mullet, wear sleeveless t-shirts, etc.
dumbfvck.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
What surprises me about this board is not so much the typical subject matter, after all, we're all entitled to our OPINIONS, but the personal attacks that take place. Unbelievable. Regardless of what side you're on, it does your argument no good at all to lash out blindly.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: arsbanned
What surprises me about this board is not so much the typical subject matter, after all, we're all entitled to our OPINIONS, but the personal attacks that take place. Unbelievable. Regardless of what side you're on, it does your argument no good at all to lash out blindly.
Agreed.

I find it sad that a post of mine like this:
Probably Chirac's attempt to keep Saddam quiet about their "business relationships".

brings out the namecalling from people like Pers.
But of course, we all know that anyone who disagrees with him is just a dumb racist hick.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Ultima
The prejudice against the french on these boards sometimes comes across as downright racist. I never see anything done about it though, while if someone uses the word 'gay' as a synonym for 'stupid', 'idiot', whatever, everyone makes a big hoopla about it.
rolleye.gif

Thank you...

I wonder how many of these people realize that the US would still be under British Rule had it not been for the Massive Financial and Military Assistance from the French ;)

http://www.voy.com/22043/14.html
Historians also stress the importance of the direct assistance that the European allies gave to the Americans in their victory over the British. It is probably not going too far to say that America owes its independence to foreign intervention and aid, especially from France. The French monarchy sent arms, clothing, and ammunition to America; it also sent soldiers and the French Navy. Most importantly, the French kept the United States government solvent by lending it the money to keep the Revolution alive. The magnitude of French support of the American Revolution can be glimpsed at the battle of Yorktown. There, the majority of George Washington's 15,000 man Continental Army were French soldiers. Washington's men were clothed by the French, the rifles they used were French, and French gold paid their wages. Nor must we forget that it was the French Navy that trapped Cornwallis's soldiers at Yorktown by preventing English ships sent from New York from rescuing the British army. Perhaps the final irony of the French monarchy's assistance to America (and proving once again that no good deed goes unpunished) is that it led to the financial collapse of the French ancient regime. And the bankruptcy of Louis XVI was one of the major causes of the French Revolution

It was a marriage of convenience. We and the French hated the British (at the time). Once the tie that binds unwinded, there was a speedy divorce.

Then maybe we should give back the Statue Of Liberty?

The Statue of Liberty was not a gift from the people of france to the people of America. It was a gift from the Grand Orient of France to the Scottish Rite of the Southern Jurisdiction. It was a gift from Masons in France to the Masons of America. Don't believe me, go visit her yourself and you will see.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Agreed.

Probably Chirac's attempt to keep Saddam quiet about their "business relationships".

But of course, we all know that anyone who disagrees with him is just a dumb racist hick.

Do you also find it sad that a post like this:

Shanti - <<My condolences to the liberals. Just wanted to express my sorrow and sincere condolences on this day of the capture of your great leader. Have faith, be glad at least Bin Laden is still free to carry on in your goal to destroy everything that is good and right.>>

brings out the namecalling?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultima
The prejudice against the french on these boards sometimes comes across as downright racist. I never see anything done about it though, while if someone uses the word 'gay' as a synonym for 'stupid', 'idiot', whatever, everyone makes a big hoopla about it.
rolleye.gif

Thank you...

I wonder how many of these people realize that the US would still be under British Rule had it not been for the Massive Financial and Military Assistance from the French ;)

http://www.voy.com/22043/14.html
Historians also stress the importance of the direct assistance that the European allies gave to the Americans in their victory over the British. It is probably not going too far to say that America owes its independence to foreign intervention and aid, especially from France. The French monarchy sent arms, clothing, and ammunition to America; it also sent soldiers and the French Navy. Most importantly, the French kept the United States government solvent by lending it the money to keep the Revolution alive. The magnitude of French support of the American Revolution can be glimpsed at the battle of Yorktown. There, the majority of George Washington's 15,000 man Continental Army were French soldiers. Washington's men were clothed by the French, the rifles they used were French, and French gold paid their wages. Nor must we forget that it was the French Navy that trapped Cornwallis's soldiers at Yorktown by preventing English ships sent from New York from rescuing the British army. Perhaps the final irony of the French monarchy's assistance to America (and proving once again that no good deed goes unpunished) is that it led to the financial collapse of the French ancient regime. And the bankruptcy of Louis XVI was one of the major causes of the French Revolution

It was a marriage of convenience. We and the French hated the British (at the time). Once the tie that binds unwinded, there was a speedy divorce.

Then maybe we should give back the Statue Of Liberty?

The Statue of Liberty was not a gift from the people of france to the people of America. It was a gift from the Grand Orient of France to the Scottish Rite of the Southern Jurisdiction. It was a gift from Masons in France to the Masons of America. Don't believe me, go visit her yourself and you will see.

???

From the National Park Service Website
http://www.nps.gov/stli/prod02.htm
Statue of Liberty History

The Statue of Liberty National Monument officially celebrated her 100th birthday on October 28, 1986. The people of France gave the Statue to the people of the United States over one hundred years ago in recognition of the friendship established during the American Revolution. Over the years, the Statue of Liberty has grown to include freedom and democracy as well as this international friendship.

Sculptor Frederic Auguste Bartholdi was commissioned to design a sculpture with the year 1876 in mind for completion, to commemorate the centennial of the American Declaration of Independence. The Statue was a joint effort between America and France and it was agreed upon that the American people were to build the pedestal, and the French people were responsible for the Statue and its assembly here in the United States. However, lack of funds was a problem on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean. In France, public fees, various forms of entertainment, and a lottery were among the methods used to raise funds. In the United States, benefit theatricalevents, art exhibitions, auctions and prize fights assisted in providing needed funds. Meanwhile in France, Bartholdi required the assistance of an engineer to address structural issues associated with designing such as colossal copper sculpture. Alexandre Gustave Eiffel (designer of the Eiffel Tower) was commissioned to design the massive iron pylon and secondary skeletal framework which allows the Statue's copper skin to move independently yet stand upright. Back in America, fund raising for the pedestal was going particularly slowly, so Joseph Pulitzer (noted for the Pulitzer Prize) opened up the editorial pages of his newspaper, "The World" to support the fund raising effort. Pulitzer used his newspaper to criticize both the rich who had failed to finance the pedestal construction and the middle class who were content to rely upon the wealthy to provide the funds. Pulitzer's campaign of harsh criticism was successful in motivating the people of America to donate.

Financing for the pedestal was completed in August 1885, and pedestal construction was finished in April of 1886. The Statue was completed in France in July, 1884 and arrived in New York Harbor in June of 1885 on board the French frigate "Isere" which transported the Statue of Liberty from France to the United States. In transit, the Statue was reduced to 350 individual pieces and packed in 214 crates. The Statue was re-assembled on her new pedestal in four months time. On October 28th 1886, the dedication of the Statue of Liberty took place in front of thousands of spectators. She was a centennial gift ten years late.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Gaard
Agreed.

Do you also find it sad that a post like this:

Shanti - <<My condolences to the liberals. Just wanted to express my sorrow and sincere condolences on this day of the capture of your great leader. Have faith, be glad at least Bin Laden is still free to carry on in your goal to destroy everything that is good and right.>>

brings out the namecalling?

Nope, I figured that one would get you guys riled up.:beer::D;)

gaga38

Apr 15, 2003

And what about all the previous "business relationships" betwwen saddam and the us
i am sure we wont learn anything about it duritn the trial :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: gaga38

And what about all the previous "business relationships" betwwen saddam and the us

I am sure that everything that can, will be dredged up by the lawyers to attempt to portray Saddam as a victim. classified and embarassing documents will also be entered into evidence.

The evidence presented and the charges will be tailored by the Iraqi council to try and aviod the potential of a circus.

They will have learned from the WWII, Balkans, Panama, OK City and OJ on what pitfalls to avoid.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: gaga38

The "business relationships" between saddam and the U.S. are well documented. Maybe we'll learn something new, who knows. But I've acknowledged the U.S. support of Saddam. I don't see anybody arguing about that. We supported Saddam in the 80's because he was an enemy of Iran. Iran had a more advanced nuclear program, seemingly stronger conquest ambitions, and we viewed them as the larger threat in the region. We chose the "lesser of two evils", at least in a political sense, because we feared that without a strong Iraq, Iran would invade and occupy Iraq, building their empire in the process. I'm sure many regret this now, but at the time, we did what we thought was best for the region and for our own security.

I've seen numerous reports, perhaps of suspect credibility, that say the French have been doing business with Saddam even after the first Gulf war. This is what I was joking about.