French lawyer offers to represent Saddam in court.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Oh my....

French lawyer Jacques Verges offers to defend Saddam:

Referring to allegations of atrocities, Verges said: "It must be established whether everything that happened was rumour or not.."

why am i not surprised.
linky

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
So do you throw darts at a map to figure out who to hate, or is this part of some sick routine you engage in every morning?

God forbid that if you are a physician you are called to treat someone with a French surname.

Therapy is indicated

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
So do you throw darts at a map to figure out who to hate, or is this part of some sick routine you engage in every morning?
tisk, tisk, typical liberal personal attack.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
tisk, tisk, typical liberal personal attack.
STFU... he's saying what's on his mind. :| Idiot, you posted it..what were you expecting.. "Ohh lets jump on heartsurgeon's banmdwagon and bash the stoopid french frogs"

Ban HeartSurgeon :|

Fvckin "conservatives" always watching their back cuz the liberals will attack them..
Fvcking morons..

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
This is just dumb. Why on Earth would any lawyer volunteer to defend Hussein? The only thing I can think of is maybe it would increase name recognition....but at what cost? French or not, a poor decision, imo.

That said, heartsurgeon must find it amusing to troll now and then in P&N. His Clinton bashing was noticeable but a minor nuisance. Lately, however, I find his Galt impersonations irritating. Why do grown men feel the need to do this?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
So he is French; who cares? We have lawyers defending rapists, murderers and child molestors on a daily basis.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
figures a frenchmen volunteers for defending a mass murderer, but wont volunteer to help oust him.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: nick1985
figures a frenchmen volunteers for defending a mass murderer, but wont volunteer to help oust him.
Coming from a guy who thinks the GF4 4200 can beat any card on the market.. pfft

/oooh, oooh don't worry that was a Red Herring... you don't have to spell it out to everyone ;):p

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: nick1985
Last time I checked, official US foriegn policy doesn't dictate that we oust all foreign dictators accused of mass murder. If that were the case, we'd be heavily occupying several African nations right now as well (which we are not).

And yes, I'm sure that the US Armed forces would allow any French citizen interested in fighting against Saddam to join the service................or not.

If the French were to help the American's in Iraq, the war would have to be justified first. It's hard to commit troops for fighting in a political shampaign.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Yeah, due process is so overrated isn't it?
and his victoms got due process right before they were gassed/tortured/taken in the middle of the night?

please ACLU for Saddam that is stooping too low.:disgust:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: EXman
Yeah, due process is so overrated isn't it?
and his victoms got due process right before they were gassed/tortured/taken in the middle of the night?

please ACLU for Saddam that is stooping too low.:disgust:
The point is that no one is suggesting that Saddam go unpunished. It IS the point that everyone else IS NOT SADDAM. He can have a trial, be defended, and I have no doubt convicted. He then will be punished, hopefully according to Iraqi wishes.

Due process isn't for Saddam, it's for US. If you want to be like him, go ahead.

A trial is EVERYONES right.

Because Saddam is an animal is no excuse for anyone else to be.

KGB1

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
STFU..Idiot..Ban HeartSurgeon ..Fvckin "conservatives".....Fvcking morons..
please refer to my previous post......
;) You know politicians are always complaing when their quotes are used out of context. Must be another tactic used by the right to fend off liberal influence

I proudly stand by my statements :p

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
KGB want to borrow some Xanax?

Due process isn't for Saddam, it's for US. If you want to be like him, go ahead.
Well he is an Iraqi and if he is tried in Iraq what do you and I have to do with it? Think they have Due Process? They have public executions and punishment in that part of the world. I think you are assuming our laws are guaranteed to everyone on the planet. They are not :(

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
A frenchman. Is anyone here surprised at how low these degenerates will go? Perhaps Chirac slithered his way to this scumbag's office and asked him to take care of a dear friend, not unlike the other sleaze he looked after here

If anything, I would be worried if I were Hussein. The French haven't won anything in over 300 years. What makes him think that they will win in this case. If I was him, I would choose a more respectable, but still sleazy, American lawyer.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Everyone deserves a fair trial but it should be under the laws of the local jurisdiction, in this case Iraq. Well, Iraq first since Kuwait and I suppose a few other countries may have a claim on him. The fact that the lawyer is French may or may not be of significance. No matter how vile the crime, there will always be a lawyer available. That's their job. However, the fact that this guy represented Klaus Barbie (Nazi war criminal) and Carlos the Jackel (terrorist) is kind of an eye opener. He wasn't real successful in those cases.

If I was Saddam, I think I would look for someone with a better track record. Johnnie Cochran maybe?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Saddam could be tried by a special tribunal set up last week by Iraq's US-appointed Governing Council with a mandate covering war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

Charges against him could focus on the campaign against Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s, the use of chemical weapons on Iranian troops and Kurdish civilians, the suppression of the Kurdish and Shi'ite uprisings in 1991, the punishment of the Marsh Arabs and the forced expulsions of ethnic minorities in the north.

Verges warned such charges could implicate Western leaders who once backed Saddam.

I think we can assume that those charges won't be brought then. ;)

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Dari mentions the French... while it seems to me we are somewhat entangled in Saddam's crimes againt the Iranians and maybe even accessories before the fact regarding the Kurds (chem wmd)... And, what occured between Iraq and the Ambassador from the US just prior to the Kuwaiti invasion by Iraq.. What did she say to him?

I'd move the issue to the Hague.. It is the proper venue for international crimes... And, takes us out of the loop..

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: KenGr
Everyone deserves a fair trial but it should be under the laws of the local jurisdiction, in this case Iraq. Well, Iraq first since Kuwait and I suppose a few other countries may have a claim on him. The fact that the lawyer is French may or may not be of significance. No matter how vile the crime, there will always be a lawyer available. That's their job. However, the fact that this guy represented Klaus Barbie (Nazi war criminal) and Carlos the Jackel (terrorist) is kind of an eye opener. He wasn't real successful in those cases.

If I was Saddam, I think I would look for someone with a better track record. Johnnie Cochran maybe?
Maybe he likes the notoriety of defending characters like that.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Gaard
Saddam could be tried by a special tribunal set up last week by Iraq's US-appointed Governing Council with a mandate covering war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

Charges against him could focus on the campaign against Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s, the use of chemical weapons on Iranian troops and Kurdish civilians, the suppression of the Kurdish and Shi'ite uprisings in 1991, the punishment of the Marsh Arabs and the forced expulsions of ethnic minorities in the north.

Verges warned such charges could implicate Western leaders who once backed Saddam.

I think we can assume that those charges won't be brought then. ;)

Exactly.. Unclassified documents have shown that the Kurds at halabja were gassed by the Iranians. The blood agents in the chemicals were only found in Iranian Weapons.. not in the weaons we helped provide Saddam with.

Saddam can claim he was quelling violent uprisings... just like the Americans did when they slaughtered Native Americans...

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
A frenchman. Is anyone here surprised at how low these degenerates will go? Perhaps Chirac slithered his way to this scumbag's office and asked him to take care of a dear friend, not unlike the other sleaze he looked after here

If anything, I would be worried if I were Hussein. The French haven't won anything in over 300 years. What makes him think that they will win in this case. If I was him, I would choose a more respectable, but still sleazy, American lawyer.
[sarcasm] That's right. They're all degenerates.[/sarcasm]

Maybe you should deal with *people* on a case by case basis - you know, like when I meet my US friends and accept that they're not all as jingoistic as yourself. It's not political - I have friends who label themselves liberal, conservative, neocon, libertarian, etc. - and in all these groups there are people who are great to be around. Must be something else then.

Andy

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this thread is awful

Nothing wrong with Saddam getting propper defense, after all there still are debates over who gassed the kurds in the Iraq/Iran war, both were belived to using chemical weapons and the said attack was under Iraqi control at that time of the war. Well according to what I have been reading. Would be great to get some closure on all that, expecialy since both Israel and Iran are prepearing lawsuits for the International court.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
this thread is awful

Nothing wrong with Saddam getting propper defense, after all there still are debates over who gassed the kurds in the Iraq/Iran war, both were belived to using chemical weapons and the said attack was under Iraqi control at that time of the war. Well according to what I have been reading. Would be great to get some closure on all that, expecialy since both Israel and Iran are prepearing lawsuits for the International court.
Exactly. Yes, he's guilty as far as I can see - but not to give it due legal process makes a mockery of the system and sets a disturbing precedent for future, less clear-cut trials.

Cheers,

Andy

ASK THE COMMUNITY