Freezing problem...doesn't seem to be memory.

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Well I didn't want to cross-post this, but I thought maybe some of you guys over here might have a few ideas.

This is on a:

3200+ Clawhammer @ default
Chaintech VNF3-250
2 x 512 Geil PC4000 Ultra @ 200 mhz (2.5-4-4-10)

Well I just swapped out motherboards yesterday and went ahead with a fresh copy of windows. Now whenever I try to run Windows Update or during other random semi-resource intensive times...I just get a hard freeze that has to be rebooted.

My first instinct was bad memory...but memtest ran for several hours without a single error. Prime runs for about 20 min before hard freezing again. I was trying to isolate just the CPU to see if it was causing the problem, but I can't seem to do it. Any suggestions?... because I'm stumped.
 

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
7,032
0
76
Very unlikely to be the CPU. Even though memtest passes, try using a divider with the ram, or setting it to 2T to see if that helps. I had problems with the Nvidia onboard lan on my DFI board, it was crashing every time I did anything that connected to the internet, don't know if that could be related. What are your emps like, and what do you have for a PSU?

EDIT: and also I appologize for Dothan, he is a thorn in our side at the moment, maybe the mods will do their job one of these days..
 

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
18,927
0
76
If you're overclocking try and set things back to stock speeds. Have you checked to make sure your power supply is giving the proper voltages to each rail? I had the same problem but it was very random when it would completely freeze up. Come to find out it was my PSU. However it could be another hardware issue, so don't go only on my advice. But check your PSU voltages using a DMM.
 

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
10,085
4
76
It is unlikely the cpu is the blame for this, check your temps..if they are ok, your ok. Make sure your vcore is not jumping around, and also your other volt rails....I suspect it's your ram that's for sure.
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Originally posted by: Powermoloch
It is unlikely the cpu is the blame for this, check your temps..if they are ok, your ok. Make sure your vcore is not jumping around, and also your other volt rails....I suspect it's your ram that's for sure.

I suspected the ram as well at first, but memtest ran for about 12 hours without a single error. I'm running it way below it's rated speed as well at 2.5-4-4-10 and 2T.

The PSU is an Antec True 480 that has never let me down...so I'd be surprised if that was the problem.

Like I said this thing really stumps me. :confused:
 

monster64

Banned
Jan 18, 2005
466
0
0
It could be your ram overheating. Same thing was happening to me. 3 things to remember:
If a program closes, but your computer is still on and working, its most likely ram related. If your PC reboots constantly, its a voltage problem with some component, or because a component is overheating. If your computer freezes, make sure its freezing and not taking a long time to close a program. Next time it freezes wait about a minute or two and see if its not actually closing the program. Lower the voltage on your ram to 2.5v and run it well below its rated speed so it can run at 2.5v. See if it still freezes.

EDIT: I have the exact same ram as you. Things like that used to happen to me too, until I put some active cooling on the ram. That ram gets very hot. Now I can run it at 250mhz @2.5-3-3-7-1T @ 2.75v
When it was crashing I thought it was because it needed more voltage, tried up to 2.9 (can go to 3.1). Turned out all it needed was 2.75 because anything higher and it would overheat like crazy.
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Originally posted by: monster64
It could be your ram overheating. Same thing was happening to me. 3 things to remember:
If a program closes, but your computer is still on and working, its most likely ram related. If your PC reboots constantly, its a voltage problem with some component, or because a component is overheating. If your computer freezes, make sure its freezing and not taking a long time to close a program. Next time it freezes wait about a minute or two and see if its not actually closing the program. Lower the voltage on your ram to 2.5v and run it well below its rated speed so it can run at 2.5v. See if it still freezes.

EDIT: I have the exact same ram as you. Things like that used to happen to me too, until I put some active cooling on the ram. That ram gets very hot. Now I can run it at 250mhz @2.5-3-3-7-1T @ 2.75v
When it was crashing I thought it was because it needed more voltage, tried up to 2.9 (can go to 3.1). Turned out all it needed was 2.75 because anything higher and it would overheat like crazy.

Interesting analysis...thanks I'll give it a try. :)
 

nakamex

Junior Member
Aug 28, 2005
1
0
0
hi i have a same trouble

the problem start when update the ethernet driver for new one
i fix back to old one

good luck
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Originally posted by: nakamex
hi i have a same trouble

the problem start when update the ethernet driver for new one
i fix back to old one

good luck

Hmm two mentions of ethernet drivers...I might give this a shot.

I tried backing down the voltage and running a divider, but no luck. Still the same hard freeze.
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Hmm no luck once again...could this be heat related? CPU at idle is hovering around 50C in the BIOS...but I don't really trust the onboard temps. I let my brother apply the thermal compound and he's not exactly great with computers, so maybe I'll try re-applying it. :)
 

monster64

Banned
Jan 18, 2005
466
0
0
Not cpu heat, ram heat. The ram shouldnt get above 60C. Anything higher and it overheats. Try lowering the ram voltage to 2.7.

EDIT: Whoops, missed that you already did that. Did you try 2.5v? Also that ram gets really hot no matter what. If you have bad airflow it could easily overheat anyways. Try taking the side panel of teh case off and blowing a small fan onto the ram and see if you still get the freeze, again, make sure prime is just taking a while to close. Wait about 1-2 mins after it feezes and see if its still frozen.
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Originally posted by: monster64
Not cpu heat, ram heat. The ram shouldnt get above 60C. Anything higher and it overheats. Try lowering the ram voltage to 2.7.

EDIT: Whoops, missed that you already did that. Did you try 2.5v? Also that ram gets really hot no matter what. If you have bad airflow it could easily overheat anyways. Try taking the side panel of teh case off and blowing a small fan onto the ram and see if you still get the freeze, again, make sure prime is just taking a while to close. Wait about 1-2 mins after it feezes and see if its still frozen.

Yeah it's definitely still frozen after a few minutes. I'll stick a fan on the side of the case and see if that helps, but otherwise I'm still stumped. I still don't get why it would pass several hours of memtest, but freeze within 5 minutes after booting into Windows.


 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Well sorry to bump this back to the top...but I have an update. I have two rigs with the VNF3 and neither one will run 2 sticks of 512. They both run just fine with 1 stick, but put that second one in and I can't boot fully into Windows without it hard-freezing.

One board has the 10/19 bios...the other the most recent one (don't know the date off the top of my head). Is running 2 sticks of double-sided ram an issue with this particular board? I've heard a few people mention this but haven't seen any confirmation.

Ideas?
 

Furen

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2004
1,567
0
0
Have you tried setting your command rate to 2T? I think s754 clawhammers will may force 333MHz ram speed with more than one stick, but I'm not sure.
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Originally posted by: Furen
Have you tried setting your command rate to 2T? I think s754 clawhammers will may force 333MHz ram speed with more than one stick, but I'm not sure.

I have tried very loose timings, different vdimms, and 1T vs. 2T...nothing made a difference. One chip is a Sempron and the other is a CG Clawhammer...neither will run 2 sticks. Running a divider doesn't help either.

I'm starting to think this board just doesn't like it. :confused:
 

smthmlk

Senior member
Apr 19, 2003
493
0
0
can't boot with more than 1 stick of ram in? Sounds *exactly* like what happened with my venice. Worked fine for months slightly overclocked, then started freezing, replaced psu, ram, etc, still froze. On a hunch, bought another venice and it's perfectly fine. Memtest86 gave no errors, either, but it wouldn't boot with more than 1 stick in.

It's dying... get a new cpu and try it, I would suspect that would fix your problems. hope that helps!
 

charloscarlies

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,288
0
0
Actually I think I figured it out. :)

I was browsing some other forums and found people having trouble running CnQ w/ 2 sticks of ram. I disabled CnQ and sure enough...I'm posting w/ both sticks running stable as can be.