Freezer (deep freeze) or fridge in the cold garage, is it OK?

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
We're seriously lacking on freezer space and I'd like to get a small chest freezer. The only place I have to put it would be in the garage. I live in MN so it probably gets close to freezing at times in the garage. I have a beer fridge in there now that my in-laws told me to unplug for the winter, b/c it was hard on it. I mentioned that to a co-worker and he said that's no big deal, it will just run less, it was true for older fridges/freezers.

So, can I put a freezer in my garage and leave in plugged in all year? (and my fridge)

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Why the hell would cold weather be hard on a refrigerator?

They said something about it "getting confused" or something. Now that I think about it, it really doesn't make sense. Ah, old people, they get confused sometimes! :) Maybe in "the olden days". :p

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: nebula

They said something about it "getting confused" or something. Now that I think about it, it really doesn't make sense. Ah, old people, they get confused sometimes! :) Maybe in "the olden days". :p

um, no. if the thermostat is satisfied it simply will not run.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

if its colder outside than its supposed to be in the fridge, the fridge wont run....

[/salesman]

it will work fine...I have been selling them for 4 years, and there shouldnt be any issues doing that

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
Thanks for all the input. I guess now we can get our freezer and stock up!

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002

:confused:

THey must have one of those new "Emotion Control" units.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Actually it is a problem. It will shorten the life of the motor and seals will probably fail. Manufacturers don't design freezers to work in cold weather.

I've heard this question asked on one of those handyman talk shows before and that is the answer they gave.

Much of my family has them out in their garage, or unheated enclosed porch areas.
We reside in western and upstate NY.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
Actually it is a problem. It will shorten the life of the motor and seals will probably fail. Manufacturers don't design freezers to work in cold weather. I've heard this question asked on one of those handyman talk shows before and that is the answer they gave.

Shortens so much that it will only run flawlessly for 49.5 instead of 50 years.

On our farm, we have 2 freezers in an otherwise abandoned, detached garage. They've been there for well over 20 years. We also have 2 freezers sitting in a toolshed behind the house. Those 2 have been there for over 25 years. We have freezers on another farm in a barn. They're only about 5 years old though. All of these areas are unheated, and the ambient temperature inside would be within 1 or 2 degrees of what it would be outside.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

Yeah, I'd say hot weather makes the fridge work harder.