• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Freeze after updating catalyst drivers

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
For reference this is my main pc in my signature below. About 2 months ago I updated this pc to catalyst 12.6 (from 12.3) and immediately after that I had a game freeze and crash any time I played games which typically occurred 1-3 min into game play. I played around with my CPU OC, swapped power supplies and many other settings. Once I rolled back to a previous system restore the problem went away.

Yesterday I updated to catalyst 12.8 and the exact same problem happened, only this time my system restore points appear to not be working. I'm debating either doing a complete windows reinstall or reloading from a home server backup but I wanted to see what you guys thought first. What could my graphics drivers have done to cause this type of crash? Was there a significant change between 12.3 and the later releases? I tried reinstalled 12.3 but that did not fix the problem so something else changed.

Thanks!

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Try the normal debugging, run memtest86 overnight, and do occt or prime95 for a few hours. If those pass without error, then it could be a corrupted system file.
I also suppose it could be the video card as well, how are the temps ?

I would still do the memtest and prime95 tests before installing windows again, either fresh, or from a backup.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
Try the normal debugging, run memtest86 overnight, and do occt or prime95 for a few hours. If those pass without error, then it could be a corrupted system file.
I also suppose it could be the video card as well, how are the temps ?

I would still do the memtest and prime95 tests before installing windows again, either fresh, or from a backup.
I ran memtest, intel burn test, and occt last time this occured and encountered no errors. What I did find was that I could crash the system by running ATI tool, sometimes almost immediately and sometimes it took a while. From everything I can tell the problem is related entirely to the GPU which could be software, power, or the GPU itself.

Temps were fine last I look but I do not actively monitor them. I've been getting into the upper 70's when I play stressful games (like BF3). Right now I'm idling at 63.

ASK THE COMMUNITY