FreeSync vs. G-Sync Delay Analysis [Battle(non)sense]

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Yeah he has some good video's.

High performance powerplan, ingame fps limiters and exclusive fullscreen mode shave off quite a bit of latency.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Per his own analysis, the Freesync monitor he reviewed had the same delays (within a couple mS) yet he still prefers to pay more for the G-sync. :confused:

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Very interesting. I have some playing around to do in Overwatch now to compare...

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
Per his own analysis, the Freesync monitor he reviewed had the same delays (within a couple mS) yet he still prefers to pay more for the G-sync. :confused:

I have both (Asus PG278Q 1440p 144hz TN and Acer XF270HU Same as Asus, but with IPS) and G-sync is better in following areas (SLI and FPS at or above refresh (so >=144fps in my case).

If you go SLI I highly recommend getting a G-Sync monitor as it removes all SLI related stutter as far as I can tell (ie. frametime smoothness between SLI vs single GPU is the same to my eyes). Freesync with Xfire is hit and miss in terms of smoothness vs single GPU.

GSync is basically plug and play where as FS may need some user intervention (as stated in Video, it's best to have a frame limiter of of a few frames below max refresh (ie. 140) to reduce lag and to ensure FS stays on (FS will turn off if at close to max refresh when vsync is off so tearing occurs). Actually with Gsync you may need frame limiter too when Vsync is off as it either goes to non Gsync mode (tearing) or enables VSync at >144fps. However, I wouldn't pay more for Gsync unless going SLI (and don't need SLI because of GSync makes everything smooth already lol) and FS monitors tend to have alot more input options.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016

Didn't he say that he would use whatever he had for whatever video card he has? He keeps gsync because after using it he can't go back and he has a nvidia GPU.

FS will turn off if at close to max refresh when vsync is off so tearing occurs). Actually with Gsync you may need frame limiter too

From his testing he had to limit both with frame limiters. The only issue he had with freesync seemed to be more related to frame limiting with AMD cards in overwatch, not freesync itself. The game doesn't want to limit properly so he had to drop to 130. I do wonder if 135 would have had the same high peaks as his 130 footage seemed very steady.

It is odd that the Nvidia fps display is off so much compared to any other he used.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Only thing I'd like to add, is does anyone who has G-Sync use the option for G-Sync on Exclusive Fullscreen/non-Fullscreen modes?

I noticed switching that option on basically makes my whole desktop act like exclusive fullscreen. What I mean is since turning it on (I normally don't play Exclusive since it adds a delay to alt-tabbing) I can alt-tab out of my games, have no delay, and still get the benefits of Exclusive Full Screen (some games are borked if not in exclusive, such as what I'm currently playing Trails of the Sky 1).

Anyways, never going back to non Adaptive sync. Considering my $1400 monitor only cost me $400, I feel like I made out like a bandit!

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
He had to limit fps further below the display refresh rate to eliminate stutter on the freesync screen.

Amd power management might be too agressive, if this is the case you coud probably fix it in wattman, but he sent the stuff back to asus already. There's also a tool called clockblocker, that supposedly keeps the gpu at max clocks which might be worth trying.