Freespace 2 type games

fourty03

Mar 7, 2010
Hey guys,

About a year ago, I stumbled upon Freespace 2, and which I was hooked on for a while... I am wondering is there any other games that come close to Freespace 2?

Currently, I play DCS a10, FSX, and a couple new FPS that just came out (Crysis2, Homefront, etc) and wanted to see if there was anything else like Freespace 2. I am more of a Flight Sim / Combat Flight than anything else, and that is why I loved freespace.

Thanks !

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
You can give the new F2P MMO Black Prophecy a go. It's in beta right now but I think you should still be able to get keys if you search around. I don't think it's too far from release at this point. But it's got space sim controls (unlike Eve) and the graphics are pretty good. The depth of the gameplay remains to be seen as I've only sunk a few hours into it so far.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
You can give the new F2P MMO Black Prophecy a go. It's in beta right now but I think you should still be able to get keys if you search around. I don't think it's too far from release at this point. But it's got space sim controls (unlike Eve) and the graphics are pretty good. The depth of the gameplay remains to be seen as I've only sunk a few hours into it so far.

It's released in the EU.

Plays like a dumbed down Freelancer with minor RPG aspects. Preview/Review's in my blog (see sig).

Freelancer and DarkStar One are your closest bets. Unfortunately that's it really.

The X series is great (X3 etc) but they are very in-depth, not as well story driven and involve lots of trading/random combat etc (non-linear).

fourty03

Mar 7, 2010
Thanks guys!

I will definitely post back with what I find. Great sources+ and great recommendations.

A while ago, I installed X3 but for some reason I exited within 10 mintues, like you said, it involved a lot of trading and other things..
Maybe I need to change the type perspective I have .. lol again, thanks!!

fourty03

Mar 7, 2010
I forgot to add, I never really was into MMOs or games like that, but I believe with the right game, I could get into it...

An example, I just tried Crysis 1 about 2 months ago and loved it.. which made me try Battlefield 2, COD... I just didn't have the time back in the days to try them, nor the proper hardware. Back then, I was forever attracted strictly to Flight Sims..

Again, thanks for the recommendations, and I surely will give these a try.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Sadly, the last other decent space combat sim I can think of was X-Wing Alliance. It's pretty much a dead genre.

Your best bet it to get the FS2 SCP, and pick a couple of the user campaigns.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Freelancer and DarkStar One

I can not comment on Freelancer (did not play it), but darkstar one plays simarly, but you are more of a independant vs others than in a war like free space.

Darkstar one also had a economical side to it.

Personally, while the game was good, the style of DRM in the game made it one of the worst games I have purchased. I would nearly say do not bother with it if your computer setup is on the guru side of "normal mum and dad". (ie: non standard/common software, burning programs, multiple dvd drives ect. All triggered the DRM on me).

Note this was the original Darkstar One, not the recently release consoled version darkstar one: broken allience.

JPS35

Apr 9, 2006
The next best thing to any of the Freespace games is Independence War 2. Other mentionables include Freelancer, Tachyon the Fringe, Darkstart One, Starlancer, Wing Commander series.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I feel compelled to offer Starwars Galaxies' Jump To Lightspeed expansion. Freakin love that expansion.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I forgot to add, I never really was into MMOs or games like that, but I believe with the right game, I could get into it...

Well if you are open to that you need to give EVE a try. Pm and I'll send you a buddy trial. You get a extra week that way.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The next best thing to any of the Freespace games is Independence War 2. Other mentionables include Freelancer, Tachyon the Fringe, Darkstart One, Starlancer, Wing Commander series.

Good memories from Starlancer, I had that for the Dreamcast, it was fun.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I'm have to try Darkstar one again. I bought it on steam because I loved Freelancer and X2 and was looking for something similar to those games.

But whenever I try to up the resolution or graphical quality the game crashes like 50% of the time, and I didn't have the patience for more tweaking.

Has anyone ever tried that Tarr Chronicles game?

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Well, I second all the recommendations for Freelancer. Though similar to Freelancer, I just couldn't get into Darkstar One and wouldn't recommend it. It just wasn't as engaging and combat got to be more tedious than fun.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Wing Commander Prophecy was awesome (if you don't mind dated graphics).
Aquanox 2 was fun (underwater combat sim)
there is, of course, the first Freespace game...

but nothing comes close to Freespace 2 IMO.