FreeOS Zoo: Images for you and qemu

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
This is nice! Information on Qemu and images to boot. Pun intended.

I've played a bit with qemu previously on my Powerbook, and boy was it slow! I don't have the beefiest of powerbooks though, so it isn't a surprise. I've been planning on playing with it again to use some other OSes, but hadn't gotten around to it. Here's my chance.

Gues OSes available: ((GNU/)Linux until FreeBSD, and all x86) ArchLinux, ArkLinux, CentOS, Darwin, EucaristOS, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, Slackware, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, FreeDos, Minix, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, PcBSD, Plan9, ReacOS (which recently closed shop, temporarily, hopefully), GNU/Linux PPC, and Debian PPC.

Most of them are ho-hum boring. I want to fire up Plan9 though. grr.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I'm going to try it out, but those torrents are painfully slow. It'll be tomorrow before I can try anything.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
I'm finding the open solaris a bit odd. It took a really long time to boot with no relevant messages (like generating encryption keys or something), takes a significant amount of processor time while just sitting at the command prompt (haven't checked, maybe they all do this), and lacks many familiar commands including man!! My first go with solaris, but not the best experience so far...

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: kamper
I'm finding the open solaris a bit odd. It took a really long time to boot with no relevant messages (like generating encryption keys or something), takes a significant amount of processor time while just sitting at the command prompt (haven't checked, maybe they all do this), and lacks many familiar commands including man!! My first go with solaris, but not the best experience so far...

I haven't tried OpenSolaris, but I don't think I have the same problems with regular Solaris. Except the slow boots, it can take a while.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

I haven't tried OpenSolaris, but I don't think I have the same problems with regular Solaris. Except the slow boots, it can take a while.
I've only been using the isos that they had on the site you linked. Do I gather, though, that you can just as easily install your own from an install iso or cd? I'll give that a whirl if I find the time.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey

I've only been using the isos that they had on the site you linked. Do I gather, though, that you can just as easily install your own from an install iso or cd? I'll give that a whirl if I find the time.

Yeah, you can. I installed NetBSD and OpenBSD on Qemu on my powerbook. One of the flags to start qemu allows you to select an iso to be booted from, just like a cd. I remember setting up a disk image for the OpenBSD install sets and using the installer iso from the site.