FreeDOS 1.1 released after 17 years

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I have to be honest: what's the point? It's not as if DOS users are dying to upgrade.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have to be honest: what's the point? It's not as if DOS users are dying to upgrade.

Without looking at the change log, it could be to increase compatibility with MS-DOS. There's a shocking amount of old programs still running that require DOS, and whatever it is they changed in this version may make the difference between running a valuable piece of software, and having to abandon it, for ??? Some of that old stuff doesn't have a modern replacement, or the cost is excessive for the job that needs to be done.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Without looking at the change log, it could be to increase compatibility with MS-DOS. There's a shocking amount of old programs still running that require DOS, and whatever it is they changed in this version may make the difference between running a valuable piece of software, and having to abandon it, for ??? Some of that old stuff doesn't have a modern replacement, or the cost is excessive for the job that needs to be done.
But if you're already running MS-DOS, why would you switch? You're by definition a legacy user, which means you don't want to upgrade to newer software or newer hardware.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
But if you're already running MS-DOS, why would you switch? You're by definition a legacy user, which means you don't want to upgrade to newer software or newer hardware.

Lack of a license maybe. At my old job, I had to rescue an old DOS based program when the machine died. I used a personal copy of Win98 for the install. If that weren't available, the options would be pirate a copy(not a good idea for a business), search for a copy to buy(I have no idea how difficult that would be), or download a copy of FreeDOS. The last option is the best if it works for your specific situation.