Freedom as you see it

NewPhone

Banned
Dec 14, 2008
Did you ever notice people call it Freedom when it suits them.

For Exmaple
The same people that support gay marriage are against polgamy

The same people that support "abortion aka murder" are against silicon breat implants

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: NewPhone

For Exmaple

The same people that support "abortion aka murder" are against silicon breat implants

The first one... uh, are they?
The second one... :confused:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Sarah Palin is a member here.:shocked:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

For Exmaple

you must be some snot nosed kid who has no clue as to what people do and do not support!!

Your examples are totally wrong!!!
You cannot assume that because somebody supports gay marriage that they oppose polygamy.....

So we could also say that the same people who eat tottsies rolls also Love colon exams!!

ModerateRepZero

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2006
this guy's long overdo for a logic class.....

sometimes I wonder if he even makes "arguments" or just throws together random sentences which he assumes constitute evidence.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
In a way I see his point. It's kind of like people who prefer Levi's over Lee jeans are against special sauce being on anything other than a Big Mac.

See what I mean?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Really in my mind it comes down to the fact that some people like banana's and some people like rwd cars. i personally am against bad hair cuts but i know some commie no good bastard wants to make sure that I get one every week!

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
It depends on what category. You have to narrow it down if you want to get any intelligent discourse on the subject. Do you mean Economic, social, or civic freedom? There are many different types.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Look, people coming to realize how language is abused for propaganda, for ideology, often unintentionally, is one step in learning how politics works.

It sounds like maybe he's noticing how the word freedom is selectively used as a 'good word' for arguing, but the same people might act hypcrotically later.

Cliche example: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

If he's noticing thst, fine.

I've actually considered at times writing a small list of some of the 'good word/bad word' combinations for the same thing to demonstrate the point more broadly.

For just one example, he's a 'bureacrat' when you are against him, and a 'public servant' when you are for him. There's 'big government' and there's 'bold initiative', and so on.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
To give this thread a half-serious answer: When I was a kid in school, we were taught in simplistic terms that freedom was "the right to do pretty much anything you wanted, so long as you didn't hurt anyone doing it". Sadly, such an idealistic notion has no place in real society, where freedom is more like "the right of everyone to do pretty much what I agree with them doing".

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I wonder if we'd still get these insightful posts if the ad in the sig wasn't allowed?

Personally, I support the right for well-regulated gay polygamists to keep and bear arms, and to abort the children of their large-breasted surrogate mothers while smoking weed.