Free will...or...want your mind blown?

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Most people think they have free will. They are confident they choose to make the decisions they make themselves.

More often than not, most people do not choose to make the decisions they make themselves, but someone or something else chooses for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHrGgwASTF4

How many of the decisions you think you've made in your life were made for you before you even knew what you'd decided?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I wish I had someone to make more of my decisions. I have about 7 different outdoor projects going and they're all kind of stagnant because I can't make up my mind about what to do.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
More often than not, most people do not choose to make the decisions they make themselves, but someone or something else chooses for them.

Complete rubbish.

Just because a person's choices are predictable, doesn't mean they didn't have free will to make those choices.

-KeithP

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Hmm, if someone's "free will" is based on past experiences and memories; it stands to reason that if we could harness this knowledge then we could develope an algorithm to predict any choices based on these harnessed conditions.

Free will may exist, but the definition may not be what a lot of people think it means.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I wish I had someone to make more of my decisions. I have about 7 different outdoor projects going and they're all kind of stagnant because I can't make up my mind about what to do.

Put the 7 projects down in a numbered list. I will then tell you a number, and you finish that project.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I've seen a number of Derren Brown's videos, they're usually pretty interesting to watch. But even he himself has hinted that they're not all real, and he's mainly an entertainer. I haven't looked into him in a long time, but I remember him admitting as such or something similar.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

1) Restricting choices in advance is not related to free will. Asking a group of subjects to choose a random number between 1-10 does not lead to an earth-shattering conclusion when nobody picks 17.

2) Much like John Edwards, hack magicians or YouTube basketball trick shots, you can film something 1000 times and only broadcast the 1 in 1000 you got it right. Predicting a random outcome by chance is in no way linked to free will.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
1) Restricting choices in advance is not related to free will. Asking a group of subjects to choose a random number between 1-10 does not lead to an earth-shattering conclusion when nobody picks 17.

2) Much like John Edwards, hack magicians or YouTube basketball trick shots, you can film something 1000 times and only broadcast the 1 in 1000 you got it right. Predicting a random outcome by chance is in no way linked to free will.

Complete rubbish.

Just because a person's choices are predictable, doesn't mean they didn't have free will to make those choices.

-KeithP

Yes I expected the "I am in denial" contingent to drop by shortly.

Their choices were not only predictable, they were made for them.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
If pilot wave theory is correct the whole universe may be deterministic, and predetermined.

May 11, 2008
Your unconscious mind comes up with thoughts, but it is you who still has to decide it. Since everything with a brain is a habit creature and the brain tries to predict current and future situations based on past experiences, it is kind of obvious that as an outside bystander you can predict what someone might do if you observe them and motivate them in the right way. But probability is not a guarantee : probability < 1.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Yes I expected the "I am in denial" contingent to drop by shortly.

Their choices were not only predictable, they were made for them.

Even more predictable is the inability of the truly gullible to wise up and understand what's really happening. There are only so many logical ways to arrange furniture in a room. No sane person puts a chair in the middle of a doorway, a coffee table half in the fireplace and a sofa facing a blank wall from one foot away. We have all been living with furniture our entire lives and we all have pretty much the same experiences with what works and what doesn't work. Your coat rack and umbrella stand go by the main entrance, not in an upstairs bedroom. Your beds go in bedrooms, not in bathroom. Your lamps are placed next to seating areas and your seating areas are arranged to allow foot traffic to flow from one area to another without detouring outside because "free will" made somebody block off all the doorways with bookcases. It's not a lack of free will that leads to a certain predictability of furniture layout, it's common sense. Try exercising a little yourself.

We all have the free will to put a toilet in the middle of the living room, but most of us would be able to understand that's a freaking stupid idea and then exercise our free will to NOT do it.

Last edited: