Free WiFI in downtown Chicago?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Wife is staying at the Hilton on Michigan but they charge $13 per day to use the internet. The conference she is attending is at the McCormick Place.

She's looking for somewhere (preferably by the Hotel) that she can go to check email and such and not have to pay for it. The hotel is at 720 South Michigan.

Anyone know anything in that specific area that has wireless? I've seen a couple site that list things but I have no idea where they are in relation to the hotel since Chicago is such a huge place.

Thanks.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
My boss has mentioned to be before that they have free WiFi downtown.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: yassine
My boss has mentioned to be before that they have free WiFi downtown.

Like the whole downtown area or just by a certain place? THat's what I'm trying to figure out.

tennisflip

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Apple store on Mich has free wifi i think... you can just use one of the display computers.

Maybe try NMH its a block or two away from the Apple store

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Starbucks isn't free is it? Always thought they charged you to use it just like the hotel... I know Panera is free but there's not one near where she'll be.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Starbucks isn't free is it? Always thought they charged you to use it just like the hotel... I know Panera is free but there's not one near where she'll be.

No Starbucks here isn't free, its like 6 dollars and hour and cheaper after that.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
You can probably find the free wifi service called "linksys" just about anywhere. lol

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: wetcat007
You can probably find the free wifi service called "linksys" just about anywhere. lol

Yep. It's one of the easiest way's to capture/observe everything you do. People are so stupid they actually associate with it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SKORPI0
Chicago WiFi map

zoom in on the map and get the location of the nearest free wi-fi.

Interesting... Kitty O'SHea's is listed and that bar is actually INSIDE the Hilton. Hmm. So assuming they really do have free WiFi, they must just have their own and the Hotel has a different system.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Does it have to be the Hilton? There's a Garden Inn and Hampton Inn in the River North area (not too far from Michigan Ave.) and both offer complementary internet access. If the conference is work related she should be able to expense internet charges anyway.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07

Yep. It's one of the easiest way's to capture/observe everything you do. People are so stupid they actually associate with it.

not as stupid as people that say "way's".

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: spidey07

not as stupid as people that say "way's".

*chuckle*

But seriously, don't associate to wireless networks you don't know. It's getting easier and easier's to do bad's stuffs with wireless these days. One of the common ones is to use "linksys" as the ssid because people think "oh, that's just somebody that didn't protect their wireless". When in reality it's a trap.

MrBlahh

Sep 15, 2004
Panera Bread has free wifi and there are a few around the city

Im surprised that they dont just offer up the Internet access for free. It seems pretty standard these days.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Geez... Even Best Western's and Econo Lodge's offer free WiFi nowadays. How does the Hilton get away with charging $13 a night, when even of the cheaper hotel chains that Hilton owns like Hampton Inn give it away?

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Geez... Even Best Western's and Econo Lodge's offer free WiFi nowadays. How does the Hilton get away with charging $13 a night, when even of the cheaper hotel chains that Hilton owns like Hampton Inn give it away?

rules chanbe in big convention hotels. They know most guests will expense it and will pay the fee regardless.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
Originally posted by: ultimatebob

rules chanbe in big convention hotels. They know most guests will expense it and will pay the fee regardless.

You normally won't find free internet access in the higher priced brands. The low- to mid-priced brands compete over the majority of business travelers, and that's where you'll find extras like free breakfast and free internet access.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Yeah, that part always just makes it so obvious that the bigger more expensive hotels are just there to screw people over.

I can go to a freaking Motel 6 or something for $40/night and get free internet. Or I can go to the Hilton and pay $200/night and have to fork out more for internet. Just doesn't make any sense except to the accountants I guess. Unless they cater specifically to business people with expense accounts but that's not what this is... Oh well.