Free Ubuntu Linux Bible (downloadable pdf).

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
After further research, it has come to my attention that this e-book might be illegal. If you look at the ditributor's webpage, it looks like the ebook is $39.99. I am all for free stuff, but i don't like doing illegal activities and i think the author should get paid for his work. Therefore, i am taking down the links. If anyone else feels that the book is infact legal, please PM me with proof and i will put the links back up.

Apologies to everyone.

skiz6151

Jan 6, 2007
Great find OP.
I am interested in linux and this will help with everything I need.
Free is always awsome.

Only problem is that I'm going to have to read it on my pc, with over 900 pages, printing is not an option

VinceDee

Jan 26, 2007
Nice find, OP. I posted a link to it on Ubuntu Web Servers

I can tell you guys that Ubuntu is awesome. They've taken away almost every objection that people usually have to switching to Linux, and even added some things that Windows could never have (Synaptic Package Manager, for example, allows you to easily install the latest version of thousands of software programs with just a few clicks).

Also, check out this video of a Beryl-enhanced Ubuntu desktop. Windows Aero has nothing on Linux:

Windows Vista vs Ubuntu Linux

Vince

Zim

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2003
Why is the zip file asking for a password? Did I miss something?

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zim
Why is the zip file asking for a password? Did I miss something?

it shows the password on the download page

op: this may be worth posting in the OS forum as well

Kevin

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
I dual boot Ubuntu on my laptop and aside from it not fully supporting my second battery, its definitely worth a try.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Original link not working and as far as I can tell the password isn't in the 2nd link. Can someone post the password?

If you're new to Linux and want to give Ubuntu a try definitely check out Ubuntu Forums and the Operating Systems Forum here on AnandTech.

Thanks OP! :thumbsup:

Edit: FYI -- If you're running Ubuntu now and try to unpack it and it says the archive type is not supported do an 'apt-get install unrar' and it should work for you. You may have to enabled non-free repositories to do that.

Edit2: Nevermind on the password. I was able to un-rar and view it fine.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
edited original post for password. So far, 214 people downloaded it from the mediafire link. Not bad. Man i hate rapidshare...no idea as to why people keep using it.

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
After further research, it has come to my attention that this e-book might be illegal. If you look at the ditributor's webpage, it looks like the ebook is $39.99. I am all for free stuff, but i don't like doing illegal activities and i think the author should get paid for his work. Therefore, i am taking down the links. If anyone else feels that the book is infact legal, please PM me with proof and i will put the links back up.

Apologies to everyone.

VinceDee

Jan 26, 2007
Someone claiming to be the author of the book posts at the following link (implying that the free download is, indeed, legitimate). I don't know if that constitutes enough proof for you or not, but take it for what it's worth:

http://ebookspyder.net/index.php/2007/03/03/ubuntu-linux-bible.html

WVH quote:
This book actually comes with the Ubuntu 6.10 (Eft) Live Cd if you get the paper copy. If you just have the PDF, you can DL the ISO from the Ubuntu site, which is a better experience than running Ubuntu in VMWare.

I'm pretty certain of this because I am the author of the book ;-)