Free to play vs Pay to play.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Free to play or Pay to play?

• Free to play

• Pay to play

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
F2P is becoming more and more popular, especially in the MMORPG space. I remember when it was first introduced by Korean based publisher Nexon, remember MapleStory? And micro-transactions (mtx) slowly becoming the backbone for monetization.

I can do either way, P2P or F2P. What matters to me is content, content, content...

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Seriously? I spend $100-$180 in a night if I go out for dinner/drinks/to the movies.

For the amount of hours of entertainment a good MMO provides $15/mo. is an absolute steal...

Personally I'd go for the night out instead of sitting in a dark room all alone bathed in the light of a computer monitor. But that's just me.

Everyone who plays these games understands that there is a fundamental difference between pay-2-win microtransactions and non pay-2-win microtransactions. I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse/trolling or if you really don't understand the difference?

All MMOs are competitive games at heart, even PvE ones. If the game sells items/stat upgrades/other content that gives paying players an advantage in that competition then that game is a pay-to-win game utilizing pay-2-win microtransactions.

Costumes, pets, cosmetic crap that does not offer a power advantage (and no, your "I look cooler so I'm more likely to get help" example doesn't hold water) are not pay-2-win microtransactions.

It's an objective term, and not subject to your own person interpretation. You sound like a troll when you try to change the definition of objective terms to argue your points.

Clearly not 'Everyone' who plays these games knows the definition as you put it out there. Please be careful of using blanket terms when they are manifestly not true.

Also, I am not saying that cosmetic micro-transactions ARE pay to win micro-transactions. Clearly you and others have made it clear that you choose to segregate them. I am saying that they are both micro transactions and that any 'Better' or 'worse' comments about either side is merely invented by people who want to do one and condemn the other. Because in the end, they are both micro-transactions. How, why and on what you choose to spend your money doesn't make it any better than how, why another gamer chooses to spend their money (in this regard at least).

With a further comment that "in my view" anyone who segregates micro-transactions into two types is merely trying to justify one, while condemning the other without realizing that on a fundamental level they are the same thing (i.e. paying extra money for in game content in a game that is purported to be 'Free' but is in fact no such thing).

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I am not trying to separate Games that are pay to win from transactions that are pay to win. I am saying, have been saying all along that micro-transactions are micro-transactions. Period. I am not sure why YOU are trying to separate one type of micro-transaction from another.

Because they have different effects on the game. That is the topic of this thread after all. Games, and whether we prefer a game that is free to play or a game that is pay to play. Because pay to win games almost always fall within the free to play category, it is nearly impossible to discuss how you feel about free to play games without differentiating between games that are truly free to play versus those that are just pay to win games disguised as free to play.

Whether you respect the differentiation or not, the fact is that there is very much a divide between how most people feel about cash shops that sell vanity goods and those that sell 'power'. I'm not trying to say you have to feel the same way - if you want to despise any type of micro-transaction system regardless of its content, thats fine. But there IS a distinction, and its one that has a significant effect on how people feel about the free to play model, or about any game in particular.

That is why I'm separating one type of micro-transaction from another.

Other than the fact that you seem to regard all micro-transactions as the same (I'm assuming you dislike them all, maybe I'm wrong though) - why do you think it is important to NOT distinguish between them?

In game there “May” be a difference. From a banking perspective, from a game design perspective, from a consumer perspective and from a practical perspective, there is no difference. None.

The bolded part is critical here. Maybe you've forgotten, but this is a thread about GAMES and how the payment model affects how you feel about them. This is not an economics discussion.

As for game design, consumer perspective, and practical perspective, I'll have to disagree. Myself and others have already stated in this very thread that we don't like pay to win games, while games that sell cosmetic items are more acceptable. You'll find the same sentiments in many other forums, news sites, blogs, etc. So from a consumer perspective and a practical perspective there is a huge difference - it makes a difference to me, and many others. You are one of the few I've ever seen try to claim otherwise.

Game design is whole other monster and I don't really feel like getting in to it in detail. I will say though, with absolute certainty, that pay to win has a much larger affect on game design than a vanity shop. Many pay to win games are designed to restrict your ability to progress to the point where you must either give up or pay up. Games that sell strictly vanity items aren't built like that - you can't force someone to buy a vanity item in order to keep playing or to remain competitive with the rest of the player base. It isn't really a vanity item at that point.

If I were to get a cosmetic enhancement to my avatar in X-game wherein my Avatar becomes 10X as large as the average avatar, this might indeed cause other players to assume that part of the enhancement means 10X the damage, 10X the range and 10X the hit points even if the actuality is something other than that. In that it might very well cause someone to back down from a fight, thus making it a win for my Avatar.

This only works under the assumption that the other players don't know about the items in the cash shop. I give you points for creativity, but I don't see how this could be considered an advantage over everyone who doesn't pay. You did not actually obtain any real power in the game. The knowledge of this enhancement would be widespread throughout the community anyways. And nobody is forced to respond to your 'giant enhancement' to continue playing the game uninterrupted. They can simply kill you the same as they could before, or ignore you since you don't actually pose any threat.

In another scenario, if a skin made a character look like Iron Man (as for example) and a group of Iron Man fans were to see that enhancement and think it cool, they may very well decide to group with that Avatar where they may not otherwise have done so. The added group might make the character more effective in game for the simple reason that they have more party members, which wouldn’t be there if the Avatar didn’t look so cool.

This doesn't even fit the scenario I asked for, but I'll respond anyways. Finding people to group with is not hard. An item is not considered pay to win if it is simply providing something that can already be accomplished in game with little to no effort. The Iron Man suit in this scenario is not giving you the ability to do something that can't be done with it, it is not impeding anyone elses ability to group up. It's existence does not directly or indirectly force any one else to buy it in order to access the content in the base game or remain competitive with you or anyone else.

That’s an extremely narrow view point. After all, it is a game. Therefore everything in the game is superficial and has absolutely zero impact on the outside world. However, even in game, prove to me that any enhancement, cosmetic or otherwise is definitionally and universally superior to any another enhancement. You can’t, because different people play the game to achieve different things. A win for one type of player may mean nothing to another type of player.

What does superiority have to do with anything? This isn't a discussion about superiority, its not even relevant. And don't ask me to prove one fictional items superiority over another fictional items superiority without even giving the criteria on which they are to be rated. Its absurd, not to mention impossible.

But the real thing at the end of the day is that every player that takes part in either purchasing a skin or purchasing an in game mechanical enhancement, they all have participated in Micro-transactions. They are all the same on that level. You can’t change that fact.

Yes, no matter what type of micro-transaction you purchase, you have still participated in the purchase of a micro-transaction. That has never been up for dispute here, and I'm not sure what point you are trying to make by this statement.

Ok, so let’s take a step back on this one. You claimed that my argument was illogical because cosmetic enhancements don’t make you win. Let’s examine this fully. The statement is “Pay to win”, which literally means that regardless of your circumstances, if you pay money you are guaranteed to win. Hence the Logical statement “Pay to Win” or Payment equals winning. Only what YOU mean by “Pay to win” is actually “Pay to advantage”. I was attempting to explain that cosmetic enhancements are advantages of a kind. Therefore my statement was a whole lot more logical than yours. And since they are both Micro-transactions, they are more similar than different.

Pay to win does not literally mean, regardless of any other circumstances, that you are guaranteed to win. I certainly never claimed as much. I don't believe that anyone else ever has either. Please provide a reference to someone making this claim in this thread.

If I didn't claim this, and nobody else did, where did it come from? Do you really believe that the phrase 'pay to win' inherently implies a guarantee of winning? Lets examine your post history.

"Pay to win" is a generic term meant for any content that you need to spend real money to unlock. Usually this content is in some way superior to the baseline content so as to entice players to want to spend money on it. Just because a given sword or set of armor (or whatever) isn't game winning, doesn't mean that it isn't a micro-transaction intent on charging you money to enhance your game experience.

You don't seem to believe that pay to win implies a guarantee of victory here.

Well the real difference is that my definition of "Pay to win" is "Any micro-transaction that unlocks content that consumers are incentivized to pay for (read 'adds perceived value')". That could include item/ability upgrades, but it could equally include skins and the like that don't increase playability but is still a value add to some players. I don't discount the coolness factor as a way for the company to make money from consumers who have more cash than sense.

Hmm, 'guarantee a win' is not part of your definition here either.

My point before it got muddled was that every free to play game I have gotten involved in relies on either excessive adds cluttering up my gaming experience or the model of micro-transactions to unlock additional content. This latter strategy to me is the same thing as pay to win. Not because the added content always allows you to "win" but because the business model is such that they are planning on consumers to pay what ends up in the long run to be more than the $60 up front price of similar games that are Pay to play.

Strange, I don't see any indication here either that you believe the phrase 'pay to win' inherently implies a guarantee that you will win.

So why have you created this premise of 'pay to win means you are guaranteed to win if you pay', and then tried to discredit my definition of pay to win by claiming it is not aligned with this premise - when your own definition does not fit it either? If you actually believe that you my definition of pay to win is illogical because the phrase 'pay to win' implies a guarantee of winning, then your definition is also. If you don't believe that the phrase 'pay to win' implies a guarantee of winning, then you are simply making things up out of thin air in dishonesty. Please stop.

Nor is there evidence to the contrary.

Fair enough.

I made no such claim. I claimed that people were making a DIFFERENTIATION between cosmetic micro-transactions and those which give mechanical advantage were different because they wanted to use one while making fun of the other. A justification of sorts on their part so that they could do what they wanted and still feel good about laughing at others. When in fact they are both Micro-transactions.

Fair enough, I misunderstood what you said originally. But my confusion about that statement is not lessened, because the differentiation is made for the opposite reason. The differentiation between pay to win shops and vanity shops is made because people want to AVOID pay to win games, NOT so people can justify buying their way to victory while making fun of people who use vanity shops.

Wait, what? Who said that gaining popularity was only achieved through skins? I certainly never said anything of the like. I said that it is A way to gain a certain amount of popularity, but the two are in no way similar or equivalent.

I did not attribute the claim that gaining popularity is only achieved through skins to you.

You said a cosmetic add on might increase a persons popularity, allowing them to 'win' the game indirectly through influencing others.

I countered by saying that gaining popularity through cosmetic add ons does not fall under the umbrella of pay to win because it does not provide anything unique - meaning that there are other ways to gain popularity and make friends. This is not an attempt to attribute this claim to you. The point this makes is that even if cosmetic skins boosted ones popularity (a point that I'm not conceding), they are not required to boost ones popularity. There are other ways to gain popularity and makes friends. Furthermore, they are not the fastest or most effective way to gain popularity or make friends. It doesn't make sense to call something pay to win if the thing you are paying for is both freely available within the game, and less effective than the free in-game option for obtaining the thing that it provides.

Starting off with ‘advantage’ meaning “any state, circumstance, opportunity, or means speciallyfavorable to success, interest, or any desired end: theadvantage of a good education. (according to Websters.com), looking cool is an advantage and, by your own admission above it can cause popularity increase. Hence cosmetic enhancements easily meet your criteria.

For the record, I don't believe cosmetic items increase a persons popularity in any meaningful way. I entertained the idea in an attempt to show you why it doesn't matter even if they do. At best though, I believe they might spark up a conversation very rarely, and generally be of no use to you whatsoever except the pleasure you get from looking at your fancy outfits as you run around the game world.

Anyways, you are deliberately playing word games again, and I am tiring of it. I said 'advantage over others'. I have stated clearly on multiple occasions why 'looking cool' does not meet the criteria of having an advantage OVER ANOTHER PERSON, and I will not spell it out for you again.

I never claimed that. You wanted to turn what I said into that. I only ever said that cosmetic enhancements can engender some level of popularity. There is a HUGE difference.

I never said you claimed it, I was asking you if you believed it and would openly declare your support for it. If you read my responses to the last few quotes it should become apparent why.

Your definition is widely accepted by people whom you know and are not willing to point out the flaw to you. That in no way means that it is “Widely accepted” in the conventional meaning. Even your paragraph above has qualifications and exceptions. I did above restate my position that my main complaint was with Micro-transactions rather than just Pay to win, but now that we are into it, there are HUGE flaws in your logic on the definition of Pay to win. In short even if you do pay, you don’t win every time even using your loose and spurious definition of ‘win’. Therefore, NO. your definition is in no way definitive.

My definition is more widely accepted than yours, lets put it that way. I'm not going to bother arguing more than that, because I don't feel like polling the entire internet to prove my point. You can choose to believe it or not, but maybe you should just take a look at this thread for a small sample. I count the number of people who agree with you at zero currently, and I don't think you are going to find many more anywhere else.

There are no holes in my logic, and every attempt you have made to point one out has depended on dishonest semantics games, literally making things up that are not true, or intentionally misrepresenting my position.

You can win a popularity contest?

I've never heard of a game in which popularity contests were an advertised feature. Or a feature at all. We're still talking about MMO's here right?

Fair enough. Up until this post, you hadn’t made that clear. Yet still I will point out that merely paying money won’t guarantee you a ‘win’ in any of the scenarios you indicate. Therefore ‘Pay to win’ is at minimum a misnomer.

I've already touched on the 'pay to win doesn't guarantee a win' absurdity and won't repeat those points here.

I will however point out that 'pay to win' is not in any way a misnomer. The same way that 'pay to play' is not a misnomer. Just because you buy Guild Wars does NOT guarantee you the ability to play it. If you don't have a computer, you can't play. If you don't have an internet connection, you can't play. If your monitor has a bullet hole in it, you (probably) can't play. There is no inherent guarantee of winning implied by the phrase 'pay to win', that is something you literally made up out of thin air. A blatant lie that even you don't agree with.

It’s a game. If you don’t call having fun a win, you really REALLY need to get a life.

You post the dictionary definition of 'win', while subsequently claiming elsewhere that you consider having fun to be a 'win'. I point out that the dictionary does not include 'having fun' within the definition. And now I apparently am a loser who needs to get a life. Huh.

Anyways, your sentence above is misleading and dishonest. I consider it fun to have fun. Having fun is, to me, fun. I have fun when I have fun. I like to have fun, it is fun to me to have fun.

Do you see what I'm getting at? I can have fun, and be happy, without calling it a win. Its not that I don't have fun (I have tons of fun!), its that I choose to call it fun, instead of 'a win'. That you would insult me because I choose not to include 'having fun' in my definition of 'win' is pretty despicable.

So in other words, it isn’t “Pay to win” it is “Pay to advantage” and any “Logical” arguments that you say refute my claims are not based on logic because the statement itself is inaccurate? Got it.

I don't even know what you are saying here. I think this is another reference to this bogus lie you created about how pay to win is illogical because it doesn't guarantee you a win. If so, its already been covered.

I suppose 'pay to advantage' is pretty accurate as well. You can try to start using it, but I doubt it will catch on.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Because they have different effects on the game. That is the topic of this thread after all. Games,
That’s right. It’s a GAME. Don’t get so worked up about it all. Micro-transactions are micro-transactions. And the topic of the thread is not “Pay to win”, it is “Free to Play versus Pay to play”.
The bolded part is critical here. Maybe you've forgotten, but this is a thread about GAMES and how the payment model affects how you feel about them. This is not an economics discussion.
That is right. It is about GAMES payment model (which is economics. That’s what “Payment” in the statement means). And how I feel about the payment model is that I dislike Micro-transactions, NOT how you use them in game. The differentiation you keep on trying to force down my throat matters only to people who obsess about their status in the game. It’s a game. Get out and have a life for a while.
Yes, no matter what type of micro-transaction you purchase, you have still participated in the purchase of a micro-transaction.
The sum total of my point.
Pay to win does not literally mean, regardless of any other circumstances, that you are guaranteed to win. I certainly never claimed as much. I don't believe that anyone else ever has either. Please provide a reference to someone making this claim in this thread.
You yourself claimed that my argument made no sense because certain micro-transactions weren’t ‘Pay to win’. You couldn’t ‘Win’ with skins. So you are fine that your definition of Pay to win makes no logical sense (You don’t always win if you pay), but when I say that paying for a cosmetic advantage is “To me” the same as paying for a +500 sword, that I am the illogical one?
For the record, I don't believe cosmetic items increase a persons popularity in any meaningful way.
Fair enough. You don’t think it does.
My definition is more widely accepted than yours, lets put it that way.
I stopped using “Pay to win” a while back. My definition of Micro-transactions is anything wherein the consumer has to pay extra for in game content. I am not seeing anyone disagreeing with that statement. I just see someone trying to cram Play to win down my throat because they can’t debate Micro-transactions.

I kind of stopped reading at this point because I too am kind of sick of this narrow and rigid obsession on something as mindless as this.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I won't respond to your most recent post, there is nothing meaningful to discuss there that isn't in the quoted sections below.

Also, I am not saying that cosmetic micro-transactions ARE pay to win micro-transactions.

Great. Finally. This is really all I was trying to get you to admit in the first place, and thus lays to bed basically everything that we've been arguing about up to this point.

Clearly you and others have made it clear that you choose to segregate them. I am saying that they are both micro transactions and that any 'Better' or 'worse' comments about either side is merely invented by people who want to do one and condemn the other. Because in the end, they are both micro-transactions. How, why and on what you choose to spend your money doesn't make it any better than how, why another gamer chooses to spend their money (in this regard at least).

With a further comment that "in my view" anyone who segregates micro-transactions into two types is merely trying to justify one, while condemning the other without realizing that on a fundamental level they are the same thing (i.e. paying extra money for in game content in a game that is purported to be 'Free' but is in fact no such thing).

This is where you go off the deep end though. I find it absurd that you would claim that the only reason anyone has ever differentiated between different types of micro-transactions is so that they can hypocritically spend money on one type while turning their nose up at the other. This is not only incredibly ignorant, but also offensive to an enormous amount of people, the vast majority of which you've never even met.

I understand and respect your decision to dislike micro-transactions of any kind. But you've clearly made no attempt at all to understand what the difference really is between pay-to-win and non-pay-to-win micro-transactions, and why it is such an important distinction for many people when discussing 'free to play' games. I don't care to continue this discussion, you've clearly made up your mind and I could explain a hundred different reasons why there is a significant and meaningful difference between the two, you wouldn't care, because you already believe you know what people are REALLY thinking. You already know that people are REALLY just being hypocrites, trying to create justifications out of thin air for how they spend their money. All evidence to the contrary be damned - you've already figured it out!

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Yep. That is one dead horse. Keep on beating it.

I'd draw your attention to my comment "In my view", which I quoted in the original post. I am entitled to have my own view. Regardless of how ridiculous you think it might be.

I also stopped trying to relate to Pay to win several posts back. I dislike Micro-transactions. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

But clearly one of us is rigid minded and unyielding. One of us can't accept that there might be another interpretation or side of things to the argument. One of us can't let it drop. So I am going to let it drop.

Back on topic, I strongly dislike Micro-transactions. I think that model is just not customer-centric and is intent on convincing consumers to pay a lot more than Pay to play methods. In my personal opinion, this strategy probably came about by someone watching a drug dealer who gives 'free' samples out to new customers with the intent to hook unaware consumers on the drug. The philosophy (in my opinion) is the same as Micro-transactions. I'd like to see consumers stand up to developers and tell them that they won't stand for it anymore. But that is all merely my view and opinion.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I also stopped trying to relate to Pay to win several posts back. I dislike Micro-transactions. If you can't understand that, I can't help you.

But clearly one of us is rigid minded and unyielding. One of us can't accept that there might be another interpretation or side of things to the argument. One of us can't let it drop. So I am going to let it drop.

Hmmm...

I understand and respect your decision to dislike micro-transactions of any kind.

I'm not trying to say you have to feel the same way - if you want to despise any type of micro-transaction system regardless of its content, thats fine.

I suspect what you are actually trying to say though is that to you it does not matter how the game is trying to extract money from you, the micro-transactions model is bad no matter how its implemented. And thats a valid stance,

Funny, I've expressed multiple times that I actually do understand and respect your position. You are the only one here refusing to accept that there is another side to this argument. You are the one dismissing everyone elses position because 'in your view' they are all lying and just making up a bunch of meaningless, artificial distinctions to justify what they spend their money on. I'll let it drop when you stop trying to make me look bad by putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting my position.

Back on topic, I strongly dislike Micro-transactions. I think that model is just not customer-centric and is intent on convincing consumers to pay a lot more than Pay to play methods. In my personal opinion, this strategy probably came about by someone watching a drug dealer who gives 'free' samples out to new customers with the intent to hook unaware consumers on the drug. The philosophy (in my opinion) is the same as Micro-transactions. I'd like to see consumers stand up to developers and tell them that they won't stand for it anymore. But that is all merely my view and opinion.

If you are wondering why I keep not really responding to this, its because I mostly agree - not because I want to 'cram pay to win down your throat' or because 'I can't debate micro-transactions'. I agree that the whole advent of the micro-transaction model did not come around for the benefit of the customer. I agree that the hope of the developers is to try to convince people to spend more money on their game than they could normally expect to get by just charging a single up front fee for the game. I think it is disgusting that the vast majority of 'free to play' games are not really free at all, that most of them are actually designed to slowly nickel and dime their players into paying exponentially more than what they would ever have payed to gain full access to the game in the first place. I also think that most people understand and agree with this assessment.

What I disagree with is that ALL of them are the same, and that ALL games with micro-transactions deserve to be treated with the same contempt just because others are doing it the wrong way. I gave you the example of a game called Path of Exile earlier in this thread. They are doing micro-transactions the right way, and some other games are as well (granted, very few of them are compared to the number of games that are doing it the wrong way). I don't want micro-transactions to go away, I just want companies to do it right. I think Path of Exile is a fantastic game, and it is great that they are completely supporting it off voluntary donations and vanity micro-transactions. Thousands and thousands of players have got dozens, even hundreds, of hours of enjoyment out of it without having to spend a penny, and without having to feel like they were playing a subpar version of the game or that they were at a disadvantage compared to the players who were spending money. This is a good thing, and its really at the heart of why I, and others, keep harping on the distinction between pay to win and vanity shops.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Clearly not 'Everyone' who plays these games knows the definition as you put it out there. Please be careful of using blanket terms when they are manifestly not true.

well, if you use this thread and its posters as a decent sample size of the community, then you might realize that, clearly, just about everyone knows these distinctions and recognizes them...as everyone here, but you, understands that.

It's not so much a blanket term (which implies something is being misappropriated) as it is, more or less, a statement of fact.

Honestly, I think you are simply arguing for the sake of argument. Either you don't want to accept that there is a very tangible difference, so you have orchestrated to angle the argument in your favor and against the point of this thread, or you simply never got it in the first place, and will likely never get it.

heh, I avoided this thread for days because I knew it was pointless to keep bashing this out, but when you make a statement like that--in the face of everyone else in this thread that clearly thinks the way you claim that they don't think--then I have to comment.

:)

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Honestly, I think you are simply arguing for the sake of argument. Either you don't want to accept that there is a very tangible difference, so you have orchestrated to angle the argument in your favor and against the point of this thread, or you simply never got it in the first place, and will likely never get it.

I'd say rather that I understand conceptually why people differentiate Pay to win from cosmetic skins (have done for several posts). The math makes sense to me. I am (was. I gave up a while back) trying to make a point that even though the differentiation exists and is a strong driver for some players, maybe it shouldn't be?

I do admit to feeding at least a tiny bit into the fire that seemed to be brewing and I am sorry for that. But it struck me kind of like listening to someone explain in detail about why Team Edward is superior to Team Jacob. Every time I said "It's a movie" I got "But TEAM JACOB is BETTER!!!" (yes, I have a teenage daughter). And the further it went, the more heated the passion got. So I fed it a tiny bit. Again I apologize.

Edited for tone.

Last edited: