Free to play MMORPGs, what one are you playing?

Coffinmaker

Sep 15, 2010
As the title says, just want to get a feel for what's out there and good. Currently playing Dragon Nest, it's not bad but a little cartoony. I'm interested to hear what you all are playing!

P.S. If you're not playing one or think they suck then don't answer.

P.S. #2 If you wanna be cool by saying they suck anyway despite the above PS, it's not cool.

quakeworld

Aug 5, 2009
btw, thanks for clueing me in to Dragon Nest. I checked out some videos of it and it looks pretty decent. will d/l it over the weekend.

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I've tried a number of the f2p's recently and I think the best are lotro (for pve) and warhammer online (for pvp). Lotro gives you a lot for free without many restrictions. Warhammer isn't technically f2p but you can play the free trial up to level 10, which allows you to play tier 1 rvr and a lot of people play there because it's a lot of fun. I'd still be playing if it wasn't for their buggy patcher which kept forcing me to download 5GB of files that I already had.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I was playing Allods Online (from mid summer 2010 to February of this year), I got bored and I quit. I played many games in between until my latest preferred F2P MMORPG being Champions Online, it's a very solid game, I like it and I like the creativity of some people out there with their very unique characters and fleshed out bio. There's also some role-play thrown here and there (Club Caprice mostly) and it's fun. The missions are diverse, not much grinding, and not as character level-dependent of a game than Allods Online was, so in Champions Online I can often take on foes of three or four levels above me, one at a time that is but it can be done. I like that, it's risks I can take if I feel like it and not a guaranteed death if I'm careful.

Champions Online has evolved quite well since I first played it about three months ago, there's regular updates and its current status now is quite better than it was when I played it back then. I've tried many other F2P MMORPGs out there and so far Champions Online is my favorite of the bunch. Last but not least, Champions Online can be played solo from start to finish, as far as I know. There's only a few number of bosses that occasionally spawn from quests or just some non-quest tough bosses that need to be killed in a party, but other than that pretty much all the rest can be solo'ed. That way I don't have to look around for "properly balanced" parties to completed quests and I can play it all on my own as casual as I want if necessary.

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
SWTOR beta :sneaky:

Well thats not exactly free to play, :sneaky:

I have been playing predominantly Lotro, tried out City of Heroes once it went f2p, could not get into it very much, had tried Champions Online as well but could not get into that either

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i've never stuck with a f2p mmo because they have all sucked. not that most pay to play mmos are all that great either.

theb144

Sep 23, 2011
I've tried a number of the f2p's recently and I think the best are lotro (for pve) and warhammer online (for pvp). Lotro gives you a lot for free without many restrictions. Warhammer isn't technically f2p but you can play the free trial up to level 10, which allows you to play tier 1 rvr and a lot of people play there because it's a lot of fun. I'd still be playing if it wasn't for their buggy patcher which kept forcing me to download 5GB of files that I already had.

i had this same problem when i went to full membership it fixed itself

FancyTurtle

Oct 7, 2011
I played D&D online for a bit but I think im going to go over to city of heroes once it goes ftp always wanted to play with the hero creator but never wanted to pay for it

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I played D&D online for a bit but I think im going to go over to city of heroes once it goes ftp always wanted to play with the hero creator but never wanted to pay for it

The one in Champions Online is pretty much the same, if not better than CoH's. You could always try CO's creator for free which will give you a good idea of how it will be for CoH.

FancyTurtle

Oct 7, 2011
The one in Champions Online is pretty much the same, if not better than CoH's. You could always try CO's creator for free which will give you a good idea of how it will be for CoH.

I was in the beta for champions online. anyone who tries to defend that pile of garbage must have bought the lifer account lol same deal with StarTrek online only defenders of STOOL are hardcore trekies or lifers

FancyTurtle

Oct 7, 2011
Guild Wars

Guild Wars II, Still Guilding.
Alternate titles:
Guild Wars II, Electric Boogaloo.
Guild Wars II, Back in the habit.
Guild Wars II, The two II 2.
Guild Wars II, 2 Guild 2 War.
Guild Wars II, Return of the Guild Wars.
Guild Wars II, ATTACK! of the Guild Wars.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Guild Wars

Guild Wars is not F2P. it simply has no monthly subscription.

F2P are games that, when you want to get to level 10 or so, a message will pop up: "Spend 300 super awesome points to unlock the next levels!"

or, to unlock characters, or skill slots, or regions in the game. F2P = completely free to download, install, and play, based on micro-transactions to unlock the full game.

I love GW, btw, and GW2 is really the only upcoming game that I am looking forward to.

jlee1

Jun 27, 2011
Guild Wars is not F2P. it simply has no monthly subscription.

F2P are games that, when you want to get to level 10 or so, a message will pop up: "Spend 300 super awesome points to unlock the next levels!"

or, to unlock characters, or skill slots, or regions in the game. F2P = completely free to download, install, and play, based on micro-transactions to unlock the full game.

I love GW, btw, and GW2 is really the only upcoming game that I am looking forward to.

I can't wait for GW2 either!:biggrin:

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Been playing Hellgate at t3fun.com
It's actually been a lot of fun and the new content has been pretty cool.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I've been playing Aion on a mid/high rate private server for a year and a half. It's infinitely more fun than retail. With all the bullshit grinding circumvented it's really a great game.