Free-to-play MMO that isn't Pay-to-Win?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by slugg, Aug 12, 2012.

1. slugg

slugg Diamond Member

Hey guys. I'm looking for a decent F2P MMO game, but I don't want to go through the trouble of learning which games have the best balance between paying members and non paying members. Most importantly, I just want to be able to play the game normally and be able to keep up WITHOUT spending money.

2. Loading...

3. Craig234

Craig234 Lifer

I'd say world of tanks is good for that, as long as you are happy to play lower tier tanks.

There can still be some advantage for those who spend, but it's not too bad.

I can only give an impression, haven't played them much, but also Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online have pretty good reputations.

Even Star Trek Online is similarly said to be fine playing for free.

4. masterxfob

masterxfob Diamond Member

don't think it falls under the MMO cat, but PoE (path of exile) is pretty solid.

5. gladiatorua

gladiatorua Member

DC Universe Online
    If the problem is not money but monthly subscription, then you can look on Guild Wars 2. It has buy once and play forever system.
    PlanetSide2 is on the way. It is MMOFPS and will be free to play.
    SWTOR is going to be f2p soon. But, from what I heard, it will have unrestricted access to story, limited access to PvP and no raids in f2p mode.

6. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

Yah guild wars 2 is pretty fun from the limited play time i've got in beta. It comes out end of this month.

Planetside 2 is pretty fun..but still doing lots of work on it and no release date.

World of tanks is not a mmo...lol

7. LurkerPrime

LurkerPrime Senior member

An argument could be made that it is. Hell it even has rpg elements (xp, crew training, etc...). It also has a persistant world clan map, that clans fight over for resources. Either way, its fun, and free.

8. diesbudt

diesbudt Diamond Member

May have RPG elements, but MMO isn't always connected to RPG. It doesn't fit the MMO "requirements".

NOt saying it cant be a good f2p choice for the OP. Just it is not a MMO by definition.

9. darkewaffle

darkewaffle Diamond Member

Depends on your description of "pay to win". IMO as long as the same items/abilities/etc are available to all players (within reason, some games skirt this by making a $5 item take 5000 hours of gameplay) and there are neither exclusive nor custom items available for cash then I don't think it's a problem. Some people consider any use of money for 'enhancements' (of various types) to be "pay to win".

Far as free MMOs go, if I was to try one I'd probably start with LOTRO or DDO.

10. pathos

pathos Senior member

I've only played a little bit since it went free to play (busy with Tera and The Secret World), but I don't think Aion is pay to win. I didn't see much in the item shop that suggested it would affect your play much. Mostly just vanity items and some 30 day mounts, as far as I could tell.

The biggest complaint against Aion I remember while it was still pay to play was the level grind (very typical Korean level grind at the time it was released). They've since made leveling alot easier and faster since, so that shouldn't be nearly as much of an issue now.

Another thing that could be good or bad, depending on the person - the combat feels very WoWish to me. I think most people who played WoW would find the combat familar.

The biggest issue of it for me when the game was released, was the forced pvp. I'm not that big into pvp myself. Which makes me wonder why I played it in the first place, since it was billed as a pvp game.

But, there were pvp zones (the abyss), and non pvp zones (pretty much everywhere else), so I thought I was safe. Besides not caring for pvp, I'm also a slow leveler, so I fall behind the curve quite quickly.

But, the biggest problem with pvp was Rifts. You'd have a rift open up in a non pvp zone, and membes of the opposing faction would be able to pour in and attack you in "safe" zones. The number of people going through a rift was limited, but that number was failry large. And, they could bring kiosks with them, which would allow them to revive in zone, instead of having to go back through the rift every time they died.

Which meant that I was constantly getting killed when I tried to pve, and leveling slowed down to non existant. The worst parts, was when they weren't killing me after I had already engaged a mob, they were wearing pvp gear far better than mine, and were usually 10+ levels higher than me, so it wasn't a pvp battle, just a slaughter.

I know right before I had dropped my subscription, they had changed rifts to only work every other week, so you could actually pve in peace every other week. I dont know how it works now.

the thing I liked best about Aion was it's character creation system. I personally haven't played a game with more customization than Aion. I wish more games would give that kind of flexibility when creating characters.

11. JJ650

JJ650 Golden Member

It looks like Hellgate is back in North America and is free to play.
    I might check this out. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

12. Magusigne

Magusigne Golden Member

DDO is solid.

Great game. Not pay to win, but you can unlock Classes/Races with money. Highly recommend it.

13. terry107

terry107 Senior member

Give Lord of the Rings Online a shot.

14. SViper

SViper Senior member

I play Fallen Earth extensively on Steam and I think that would fit your bill. You can pay money for convenience items, but 100% of the best items in the game relating to combat (weapons, armor, etc) are available to free and paid accounts alike.

Primarily what people pay for is crafting to decrease the amount of time crafting takes, or to increase your crafting "queue," which would allow your character to automatically create a certain number of items in succession without input from you. This can be useful as the higher end crafted items can take real time days to complete (crafting timer continues to count down when you aren't logged into the game).

Estimates put 95% of the in-game items are player crafted.

15. PingSpike

PingSpike Lifer

Honestly, that business model is not compatible with the design you want. You might find a few games in their infancy that haven't made the move to get their return on investment or some simple browser based games but they have to make their money somehow.

16. Sentrosi2121

Sentrosi2121 Platinum Member

First and LAST collectors edition I ever purchased. Though I remember about 15 minutes of actually liking it.

In regards to the OP, if you want to see if you can get into the Planetside2 beta, go over to Planetside-Universe.com and visit the KeyExchange link here ---> Beta Key Exchange. Then wait a couple of weeks to see if you like the Planetside2 beta. Just remember that it's beta and not completely optimized yet.

If you're looking for more of a RPG theme, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes went F2P. I don't know much about it but one of my outfit mates is raving about the game. He played the original and he says that the game is 100x better than when it was released.

#15 Sentrosi2121, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  17. imaheadcase

imaheadcase Diamond Member

No argument can be made its a MMO. By that logic you could call Orcs Must Die a MMO because its also has multiplayer. Or left for dead because it has matchmaking.

18. LurkerPrime

LurkerPrime Senior member

Well its interesting that it holds the Guinness World Record for Most Players Online Simultaneously on One MMO Server.

Not to mention the following awards:
    "Best Free MMORPG" according to the MMORPG Center’s 2010 Player’s Choice Awards.[45]
    "Most Anticipated Free MMORPG" according to the MMORPG Center’s 2010 Player’s Choice Awards.[45]
    "Most Anticipated MMO in 2010" according to the MMOSITE's Reader's Choice Awards 2010
    "Favorite Strategy MMO in 2010" according to the MMOSITE's Reader's Choice Awards 2010 [46]

19. Ns1

Ns1 No Lifer

Ignore all those, it's not an MMO because imaheadcase says so.

20. clamum

clamum Lifer

I'd say Lord of the Rings Online would fit your criteria. I used to be a paying member so when it went free-to-play my account has some perks but nothing real overpowered over new free-to-play members. I've been meaning to get back into LOTRO actually.

21. brandonb

brandonb Diamond Member

I'm playing Everquest F2P, and I am enjoying it. I will likely try out Vanguard here sometime in the future, but EQ is still fun for me and is holding my interest. I'm not really high enough level to play with others to see how the F2P compares with the subscribers so I can't comment really on the F2P aspect.

22. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

Guess diablo 3 isn't mmo either by your definition.

23. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Diablo 3 (and the previous two Diablos) are action RPGs. They are not considered MMOs.

24. PowerYoga

PowerYoga Diamond Member

action RPGs can't have a MMO aspect to it? News to me.

Massive Multiplayer Online.

Not talking about MMORPGs here.

25. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Your statement was whether or not Diablo 3 is an MMO, and I'm saying that it's not, as Blizzard clearly categorized it as an action RPG.

It does have multiplayer capabilities, and some other aspects like auction house, etc. that are usually found in an MMO, but it does not make it a Massive Multiplayer Online game. One main thing that an MMO has is 'persistent world', which Diablo 3 does not have.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_game

26. zinfamous

zinfamous No Lifer

I tried LOTRO F2P...for about 5 days. I suppose this shouldn't have surprised me...but I really didn't like that I had to pay $5 here, $10 there, just to unlock skill slots and greyed-out bag slots. It seems to me that locking one out of content--higher level content--makes more sense from a F2P perspective, but locking one out of character and player-specific needs to early on seems like a bad idea if you want to keep people playing--and actually paying to play