Free to air satellite receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Where can I read more on free to air satellite receivers? I know some people use them, and some of them have DVR capabilities as well. Dish just jacked up my bill to $77/month, and I practically don't even watch TV. This is outrageous, I am calling the wambulance.

But in all seriousness, I would like to know more about it.
Thanks.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Do you have a fast enough internet connection to move to 100% streaming content? I would consider that long before looking at investing in any more satellite equipment.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cut the TV completely. Most of it's garbage, and for stuff you really want to see, you should be able to find it online, or buy DVDs.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Cut the TV completely. Most of it's garbage, and for stuff you really want to see, you should be able to find it online, or buy DVDs.

I wish. The stuff I watch is local channels news anyway, but both wife and mother-in-law who'll be staying with us and helping with the new kid would like to watch foreign TV channels as well.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
Do you have a fast enough internet connection to move to 100% streaming content? I would consider that long before looking at investing in any more satellite equipment.

Unfortunately I'm limited to 3mbs down if using DSL. Why streaming? I need local news and a few foreign channels from Europe.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Unfortunately I'm limited to 3mbs down if using DSL. Why streaming? I need local news and a few foreign channels from Europe.

I do local news over the air for that and you may be able to get the channels from Europe from other sources.

I suggested streaming because you can watch quite a bit on Hulu or many TV channel's websites for free. The streaming content on Netflix is also very good and that would cost a tiny fraction of what you're paying per month on your satellite right now.

I cancelled cable a while ago and used some of the money I saved to get Netflix and a faster internet connection. I haven't regretted it in the slightest.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I briefly worked at a place that sold these, before it went out of business. FTA satellite requires a lot of complex setup. More trouble than it's worth. If you don't watch international broadcasts, I'd stick with over-the-air DTV. Even Hulu is a better option if you live in the states.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
My friend used to do this. Said one of the guys that was leaking the monthly passwords at DTV got fired so it's a lot harder to get the passwords now.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I had to post and run so I'll go into more detail this time.

FTA satellite uses the same equipment Dish does. You get a dish, LNB (antenna), DiSEqC (digital satellite equipment controller) switch, and converter box. You'll also need a tool for measuring azimuth and a signal strength meter to help point the dish. Finally, you'll want a list of satellites you'll be able to tune. Google that.

Dishes vary in size. Larger dishes support more LNBs, oval dishes allow you to tune multiple satellites. Each LNB supports one satellite and a maximum of two TV outputs. Typically, the largest dishes support up to four antennas. You'll often see hardcore FTA junkies with multiple dishes to tune multiple satellites.

The boxes are basically like DTV converters. They take the digital signal and turn it into something you can use. They come in both SD and HD flavours and start around $100 or so. I can't remember the exact cost. Most of them have a USB port on the back to connect an external hard drive for recording. Some do have DVRs built in though, but those units are expensive.

So you might be wondering what kind of TV you'll be able to watch. Well, network TV pretty much. ABC, PBS, NBC, CBS, and FOX all send their signals unencrypted so you can tune into Dish's or DirectTV's satellites to get them free, and in HD. It's perfectly legal since the same rules with antennas apply. You can also get international network broadcasts. Stuff like CTV out of Canada, or TV Polonia out of Poland. FTA is somewhat popular with ex-pats for that reason. What you won't get is cable networks and specialty channels. So if you like Comedy Central or HBO, you can forget about it.

After some experience with this system, I think it's overly complicated for what it's worth. It's a fickle technology. That's why so many flocked to pay satellite. A lot of the boxes aren't vary user friendly and you have to come in with some knowledge of what you're doing.

If you want to cut the cable, the best thing to do is set up a DTV antenna. Setup is simple, strait forward, and most TVs already are ATSC capable in the US. Just put it on your roof, plug it into the TV, and you're off. Works with TIVO and your PC for recording, and the content is largely the same as FTA satellite. Just no international channels. Plus, it requires minimal equipment and knowledge to set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.