Free software to play Blu-Ray movies on PC?

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
I can't seem to find any free reliable software to play Blu-ray films on my PC. I tried VLC put the AACS keys available for it are not complete and many movies do not work. Why do they make it so difficult to play these movies that I rent or own.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Why do they make it so difficult to play these movies that I rent or own.

Because they're assholes, and you support their business model by buying trash that infringes on your rights. They also bought laws that prevent you from exercising your rights.

Edit:
could have sworn this was in OT. I wouldn't have editorialized it as much in software, but the truth is truth :^D

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It was in OT, now here.

And they are greedy but so is every business. This is why I just stream HD. My blu-ray player has been acting up and I wont replace it.

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
I can't seem to find any free reliable software to play Blu-ray films on my PC. I tried VLC put the AACS keys available for it are not complete and many movies do not work. Why do they make it so difficult to play these movies that I rent or own.

Your BluRay drive didn't come with a BluRay player software?

Strange..

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Your BluRay drive didn't come with a BluRay player software?

Strange..

Most OEM drives don't come with the software - it is why they are usually priced so cheaply relative to retail drives which include software.

You aren't going to find any free software to play blurays. You'll have to invest in software to do it.

My experience is the best software to purchase is Slysoft's AnyDVDHD. While it has gotten somewhat expensive (though not any more so than most other paid commercial playback software packages on the market), it is very frequently updated and well supported by Slysoft. With AnyDVDHD installed, you can use either Media Player Classic and VLC Player to play your Bluray discs. DVDFab is also popular, but I don't know much about it as I don't use it.

If you can catch one of their 40% off coupons, ArcSoft's Total Media Theatre is probably the best of the regular commercial packages. However, I never cared much for it as I absolutely hate the user interface.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
If you are investing already, just go with AnyDVD HD. Not only will it let you play everything back, it will let you use your BRs in many other ways that wouldn't otherwise be possible.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Dudes, macblurayplayer. Its like, free. Works on PC and Mac. Been using it for years.