Free software for College/Graduate Students

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Fayd
well, i just did the verification thing through journeyed, so i should be able to download soon.
Me, too. No email yet, but they did say it would take up to three hours. Slowest site I've been on in a while, so I believe it...

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: Netopia
Hammered BIG TIME... no time outs though, just L O N G load times!

Joe

yeah... delayed my going to lunch for quite some time to get that checkout finished.

freaking 5 minutes per page :eek:

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Use their alternative method. Says it will cost $2.95, but they never ask for the money.

Got my email and am download QUICKLY right now. Using the download manager and getting as high as 1.6 MB/s

Joe

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone else notice that there are only keys for Server 2003, Visual Studio 2008, and XNA Game Studio?

I wonder how you install the other ones.

Joe

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Anyone else having trouble getting their confirmation email through JourneyEd? It's been over 3 hours and nothing yet for me. Was hoping to dl these overnight :(

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Got my confirmation email last night. Downloading the software now, and at a reasonably rapid clip. Hopefully they'll toss Server 2008 up there at some point.

vortix

Jun 13, 2001
Microsoft is quite smart with all of this. This will be a great way to get students to develop some pretty cool software using Microsoft's products. Any software that is successful and can be sold or used in a business situation will likely require the developer/owner of the source code to purchase lots of expensive Microsoft software at that point, and they will be locked in to MS for a while. Either that, or risk a lawsuit by good ole' MS once all the students graduate.

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Finally got my code today at 7am - a full 12 hours after I signed up lol. Currently downloading the 3.1GB iso for VS2008. Damn I need a faster connection... 1.5Mbps down doesn't cut it anymore!

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Supplying SSN + Birthday + Name online to get free software? Being directed to sites I had no clue they existed.....I'll pass, I use Linux anyways...

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was thinking the same thing, but then I checked around the net for JourneyEd and it was legit. Combine that with the fact that MS has made a public announcement that they are doing this, and the skepticism level should drop.

Joe

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I'd been looking at this for a few days, but didn't find out about JourneyED until I found this thread. XNA Creators Club 12 Trial FTW. If anyone else is trying to redeem this, you need to put the code they give you into the "Redeem Code" section of the Marketplace on the 360 itself. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

BehindEnemyLines

Jul 24, 2000
Downloading Windows Server 2003 Standard...

Up next...Visual Studio 2008 Professional. I don't what to do with Visual, but heck, it's FREE!!! Might as well for the rainy days.

Pierce

Sep 21, 2002
how do you do the alternative? My school isn't listed and I see no other options..

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
I just passed this deal along to three teachers, all of whom teach technology or programming at our school. Thanks again for the linky, Mosh ! Now, me being the IT guy, will probably have to supply the hardware to run this stuff !

GRHawk

Jul 26, 2006
Nice! Thanks for the link, Mosh. Downloading VS2008 now. It took less than 24 hours to get my DL link.