Free Python course from udemy ($200 value)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh shit I need this, like, right now, because this is kicking my ass. thanks!

Nov 8, 2012
Cool thanks.

I don't foresee myself utilizing it - but it definitely would be fun to learn just for kicks.

Dec 10, 2005
Could have been useful when I was in my PhD and postdoc, but since I left academia, I never touch the stuff.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's nice having a formalized course so your attention can be focussed. If the course is setup well, it can give faster/better results than than figuring it out on hour own. Besides, it's free. Nothing to lose. At $200, youtube might be the better choice, but there's nothing to lose with free.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's nice having a formalized course so your attention can be focussed. If the course is setup well, it can give faster/better results than than figuring it out on hour own. Besides, it's free. Nothing to lose. At $200, youtube might be the better choice, but there's nothing to lose with free.

Yes, I like structured courses. After perusing through this, though, it is definitely not that relevant for my needs (Biology), so it isn't currently useful from my end. Some of these skills are transferable, though...well, maybe. I'm too much of a noob to comment. ....I'm also not sure that $200 is a real price for these things. Those seem to be inflated prices for content that is on "perpetual sale"

...I could be wrong. I'm not that familiar with Udemy. For me, something like Rosalind is much better, and it is always free...but that isn't really instructional like this is.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I actually looked up an Android development course last week on there cause I'm updating my app and am clueless about all the new stuff, and saw tons of courses were way marked down; mine was $20 from normally like $200.

Tried to submit the deal to Slick Deals but they apparently don't accept any from Udemy.

And yup, deals are still on. If you're new to Udemy they're $11 otherwise if you're already a member they're $20. Definitely an awesome deal.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah I find a structured course is way better than trying to just google stuff. Been wanting to get more into programming again and it might be a good time to learn a new language. I only really know basic C++, php, and html/css if that even counts. :p Nice thing with Python is that it's rather Linux oriented. I've written a couple python scripts by just googling stuff but I can't say I know the language.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I actually looked up an Android development course last week on there cause I'm updating my app and am clueless about all the new stuff, and saw tons of courses were way marked down; mine was $20 from normally like $200.

Tried to submit the deal to Slick Deals but they apparently don't accept any from Udemy.

And yup, deals are still on. If you're new to Udemy they're $11 otherwise if you're already a member they're $20. Definitely an awesome deal.
I bought and watched many courses of udemy. Some are really great quality, usually the customer ratings will weed out the bad ones. Every month or so they have a deep discount on most courses and they are discounted to 11-12$. Used to be $10 years ago but inflation. Anyway, some great stuff on there. I've actually given some thought to making one myself but it is discouraging to see that some on niche software (which I'd be after) only sell double digits. There is a lot of work put into anything good.

Reactions: clamum

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Sad I missed this. Is there any other courses like this for a good deal on Udemy or anywhere else? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

check out Humble Bundle. They routinely have various educational packages available for all manner of things, especially programming language books and courses...mostly books.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Here is a good one. Might be on sale now but since I own it, it does not tell me the price.
Bought it two years ago for 10-15$. Watched 60% of it (like most courses I buy). Learned some useful stuff like how to use the Request library to interact with web servers.