Free ISPs

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
AARG!! With the death of WorldSpy, I need some suggestions.

Is there any other free ISPs out there that doesn't disconnect you? And what's the typical speed of the service?

I don't care if the banner is half the size of the screen, since I'll just use Internet Connection Sharing if that is the case.

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
WOW, that was fast. Joeyman, you da man.

I'll give bluelight a try. Guess KMart is good for something afterall.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't forget http://www.freewwweb.com. No banners and it has pop3 email. I had three numbers to call here near Cleveland and all have initial V90 connect speed over 46,666. Connect on first try 4 out of 5 times. Throughput is adequate and never disconnected, but I've only had it a couple days so far.

Livin4Real

Mar 25, 2000
Hey Joeyman, go to Ourhouse.net and see if your dial up number is the same as bluelight.com. Somethin fishy here. :Q

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
1nol and worldspy were great while they lasted. Now I use either freei.net or even netzero. Both have no ads but there is a little trick needed to get rid of the ads with netzero.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Livin4Real,
The access number is the same...hmm.....oh well as long as it works I guess.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Freewwweb is slow, buggy as hell as my place. It disconnects every hour.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Freewwweb is slow, buggy as hell as my place. It disconnects every hour. >>

Yeah, whatever. There's nothing buggy about it, it's a pure DUN ;)
Freewwweb is the best. I connect at 52k everytime and I never get disconnected on my Winmodem. I even use it on my PDA to access the net.

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
Can someone tell me how they connect with Freewwweb without getting disconnected?

I just tried Freewwweb, and they disconnect you in almost exactly 5 hours. (BTW - I use pure DUN w/ FW)

What I am really looking for is something that can stay online for 12+ hours without the user actually being present at the computer. Also open to proggie suggestions.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
GammaRayX, try a different access number and see if that helps. As far as I'm concerned, five hours is not too bad! :Q

And try setting your mail to check for new messages every 20 minutes or so. Some ISPs are wise to that, but you may get lucky. And even if they do bump you off, the mail program will dial back in at some point.

What is it you have running that needs to be on so long? MP3 downloads or something?

DarkManX

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I've been on Worldspy for about 5 days with straight. Now freeinet is slow as hell, and blulight disconnects every 8 hours.

Kitros

Golden Member
May 6, 2000
If you need to get dl's and keep getting disconnected, get GetRight.;)

Get optout, too, because it spams your system:(....but well worth it!

ApacheXMD

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
i use altavista's service, which is served up by 1stup.com
i connect at 49,333 everytime and i've been connected since about4pm yesterday, (11am here now).
tho i'm at work now, but i just called my modem line and it's busy so i assume it's still connected :)

-patchy

GammaRayX

Oct 11, 1999
I do use GetRight and have it re-dial.

But that's not the problem. Sometimes, I download monster size files from non-resumeable servers, and for that, I want to stay online until I can finish the download. For some non-resumable files, I just freshly sign on and have it just download that file until done. But sometimes, even that won't do it for files in the 200+Meg range.

And also, there's also those mega-busy FTPs that takes hours of hammering just to get on. And Leech, leech leech the MP3s on those servers once I get in.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
I always download files larger than 1GB by my 56k winmodem. :)
For bragging right, I've downloaded 4.3GB movies in last two weeks.

blade

1957 - 2008<br>Elite Moderator Emeritus<br>Troll H
Oct 9, 1999
Nutcase99, I have searched around and have found no way to stop the banners when using bluelight. And they are by far the worst that I have see. They also change your browser by putting the &quot;yahoo&quot; name everywhere.

btw, I set my email to check for new mail every minute and I never get cut off less than 5 hours. Sometimes netzero will cut me off after 6-8 hours, but not always. Freei never has. And no ads for either.

kduncan5

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Try WorldShare.Net, no banners and it'll only cost ya $15 a year, or whatever you feel you can afford, and the profits (are supposed to) go to the charity of your choice. Whether they really do or not.....who knows? Actually, I don't really care. I do know that it seems to work pretty well. It takes over the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop. That's what you double-click on to access the program. And, what the h*ll, you only pay for it once a year!!! According to the GF, it's a tiny file that &quot;barely
takes up any space at all&quot;.

I use Lycos' free ISP as a backup. It works pretty well too, and it only takes up less than 1mb of space! -kd5-

birddog

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2000
try freedsl.com . If The DSL service is not availible in your area, you get a free 56K connection (with no disconnects), and a very small ad banner.