Free Internet????? Joe Says so.

Nov 17, 2019
May 9 (UPI) -- President Joe Biden on Monday announced an agreement with 20 of the country's leading Internet providers to lower costs and increase broadband speeds for millions of Americans through the bipartisan infrastructure law.

"Over the last few months, my administration has worked closely with Internet providers, and this is a case where big business stepped up, urging them to cut their prices and raise their speeds. I'm trying to get others to do the same thing in the place, but these guys are the best," Biden said.

"We secured a commitment from 20 providers, most of whom are in the [Rose Garden] today, and lower prices for high-speed Internet for tens of millions of households. So now families who are eligible can select a plan from a participating provider and receive high-speed Internet for no cost in most cases."

Companies that have now committed to providing free high-speed Internet for families eligible under the previously announced Affordable Connectivity Program include AT&T, Comcast, Frontier, Spectrum and Verizon, among others, which together cover about 80% of the United States' population.

"The program provides monthly broadband Internet discounts of up to $30 for households that are at or below 200% of federal poverty guidelines.

Biden said that such commitments include Verizon agreeing to lower the price of it's its high-speed service from $40 per month to $30 per month, which would allow for families eligible for the ACP program to receive Internet for free. Spectrum, which already had a $30 monthly plan, has committed to doubling its Internet speeds for eligible families."

I haven't seen a full list of providers just quite yet.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Don't think "discount" means free. Something obviously had to be done after schools were closed and low income students were having to do classes in library parking lots. In 2022 internet service is an essential utility.

Reactions: KidNiki1

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Don't think "discount" means free. Something obviously had to be done after schools were closed and low income students were having to do classes in library parking lots. In 2022 internet service is an essential utility.

Technically correct however Comcast/Xfinity for example will offer 100mbs internet for $29.95 total price so with a $30 credit applied it will cost nothing.

100 down is fast enough for 1-2 people but things might get rough for a big household and/or heavy-data users.... still beats getting cut off.

Nov 17, 2019
I'm still at '27 to 30' and rarely get more than 25. Short of some major changes, I don't expect to get more than that any time soon. Too far from a node, over 6,000 cable feet on 40 year old copper.

Maybe if some reliable cell based system comes into range, but not until.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My current internet is SUPPOSEDLY 600 down now but I rarely see much over 120 in reality.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
While i'm not "low income" i'll bet 100 quatloos this will never help get faster/cheaper internet to my area.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Nothing new, Spectrum (Charter) has been offereing this for at least a year, probably longer. IF you qualify for ACP. All this does is raise the qualification from household income less than 135% of poverty level to 200% of poverty level.

Reactions: Captante

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Joe says a lot of shit that makes no fucking sense. I mean what the fuck happened to student loans?

Nov 17, 2019
^^^ Hopefully, the people that signed the agreements to pay will need to do so.

But that's probably a different thread, no?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Technically correct however Comcast/Xfinity for example will offer 100mbs internet for $29.95 total price so with a $30 credit applied it will cost nothing.

100 down is fast enough for 1-2 people but things might get rough for a big household and/or heavy-data users.... still beats getting cut off.
My Comcast/Inifinity 100mbs internet costs roughly $85 per month with taxes, my own modem and router. You must live in an area where there is competition.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My Comcast/Inifinity 100mbs internet costs roughly $85 per month with taxes, my own modem and router. You must live in an area where there is competition.

Not really .... Comcast/Xfinity or Frontier although a couple fiber-based services supposedly will be joining them soon. (I'll believe it when I see it)

Comcast already had the plans available for $30 a month what's changing is the bandwidth is doubling from 50 to 100mbs while the price stays unchanged. I currently pay $79 per month for 600 down.

Keep in mind these plans are only allowed if income is at or below 200% of the federal poverty-rate which for a single adult in 2022 is roughly $28k.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
ObamaNet

Seriously though these days it's practically essential to have internet so not a bad idea. The only issue is who pays for that. Tax payers. I think it's best to concentrate on fixing the economy so that there are not so many people who have trouble making ends meet in first place. Lower taxes, reverse inflation, create job creation policies etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
ObamaNet

Seriously though these days it's practically essential to have internet so not a bad idea. The only issue is who pays for that. Tax payers. I think it's best to concentrate on fixing the economy so that there are not so many people who have trouble making ends meet in first place. Lower taxes, reverse inflation, create job creation policies etc.
UBI, UHC, K-99 and be done with it. People would only have to work 8 hours a week to sustain it all, can't have that though, because grampy said if you don't work you're worthless.

Reactions: nakedfrog