FREE HDTV Questions

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
When you get a external antenna (NOT CABLE/SAT) but a physical antenna.

How is the quality of the DTV reception usually ?

Mar 19, 2003
As long as you get a reasonably strong signal (and the strength doesn't fluctuate too much), it will be perfect. :)

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Do DTV also get those white cloudy fuzz and misaligned pictures if the signal isn't upto par ?

Also how strong is free DTV signal ?

GoSharks

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 1999
you either have the signal or you dont. you should be fine with a regular antenna if you are within ~30 miles or so of the tower. if you are further, you may need more than that.

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
it's pretty good...i have a radio shack antenna and it works great! Super bowl in HD!!!! FREE

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
OTA picture quality is as good as it gets for HD right now. I believe even cable companies don't use the full bitrate that OTA operates at.

DTV signal drops off VERY sharply, you essentially have it or you don't. Interruptions in signal show up as pixelization & stuttering, much like a dirty DVD.

Viper GTS

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
As long as you get a reasonably strong signal (and the strength doesn't fluctuate too much), it will be perfect. :)

Heh...when you tell that to people their reactiosn are plriceless

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
my rabbit ear antenna picks up some stations but not others.
i went ahead and got an amplified radioshack antenna...it memorizes what positions of the antenna are best for EACH hd channel.....highly recommend it!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

Heh...when you tell that to people their reactiosn are plriceless

yeah, but its true.

TCPpacket

Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Qwest
i went ahead and got an amplified radioshack antenna...it memorizes what positions of the antenna are best for EACH hd channel.....highly recommend it!

do you have a model number for this antenna? also is it indoor or outdoor?

Qwest

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TCPpacket
Originally posted by: Qwest

do you have a model number for this antenna? also is it indoor or outdoor?

it's an indoor amplified antenna
model

knyghtbyte

Oct 20, 2004
analog whips digi tv if ur gonna get a weaker signal cuz u can still see the picture even if it is a bit ghosted or fuzzy.....digi tv just cocks up completely....

also the sound disappears totally on digi tv if signal is weak, analog normally retains sounds quite well, altho in mono.

i would imagine even more so for HDtv would be cack as its even more packed with data to transmit, any loss would suck mightily......