Free H&R Block Home Deluxe + State or Premium + State for $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Here's the deal.

H&R Block sends free copies of their software out every year trying to get people to switch from TurboTax. So you can get these CDs if they happen to market to you, but they will often ask you to send them to friends... Running their CDs will create files on your computer so they can track whether or not you've registered, so you can only register 1 Activation Code per system (Unless you know how to snapshot virtual machines)

The software requires an activation code to "Activate" the license you buy, or in this case are given.

Save this code:

Go here and download the ISO file:

After you get it downloaded, prepare to mount or burn the iso to a CD....just before you do, disconnect your computer from the internet. If you're connected and get a message stating the offer has expired, go ahead and close the application, disconnect and try again.

After you start it up, there's an offer on the left for Deluxe + State for free...add it to your cart, enter your name/address/email and when promtped for anything else, click "No Thanks".... You'll need to reconnect to the Internet here and finish the registration. You'll be Emailed your activation code from H&R Block.... The Unlock Codes out of the application are the same for anyone so if you don't print the receipt page/screenshot it or write it down, I put the unlock code above.

You'll be given the opportunity to install the software right away....if you aren't planning on installing it on the PC you're working on or need it on a second PC, do this:

1. Run the program
2. Ignore the sales pitch, Go to the "Support" menu
3. Select Install on Second Computer
4. Enter Unlock Code and install the program.

**NOTE** Once you install the program, you'll need your activation code. If it does not activate the first time you try it, you may have to do the Federal update first. Update the program and let it try again after the program restarts.

Hopefully that helps someone avoid paying for software this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Thanks! I hate paying to do my taxes so I can pay money.

I assume this is windows only, right?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Thanks! I hate paying to do my taxes so I can pay money.

I assume this is windows only, right?
This is the Windows version. I'm not sure if they have other versions that the Activation/Unlock Codes will work with. If you were to get an activation code using this method, who knows....it might work if H&R Block works on other platforms.

Lord!

So much crap to "save $40"

Is this legal?
Yeah....it's legal. H&R Block is who mails you the activation code instantly. It's their promotion that is valid thorugh 2/14/2014....

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I did something very similar to this last year and it worked great.

Wish I had remembered about such a thing this year, I just downloaded mine from Amazon near full price a week or so ago. Dangit.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
This is the Windows version. I'm not sure if they have other versions that the Activation/Unlock Codes will work with. If you were to get an activation code using this method, who knows....it might work if H&R Block works on other platforms.

Yeah....it's legal. H&R Block is who mails you the activation code instantly. It's their promotion that is valid thorugh 2/14/2014....

If it's legit why do we have to disconnect from the internet to get it to work? Seems like the offer is no longer valid, and this is just a way around their online check and this is exploiting some less than brilliant code in their software.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
If it's legit why do we have to disconnect from the internet to get it to work? Seems like the offer is no longer valid, and this is just a way around their online check and this is exploiting some less than brilliant code in their software.

I agree that this way of getting the H&R Block software pushes hard on the boundaries of legitimacy.

This "deal" has been around since early December and there are threads on SlickDeals that describe the process in much greater detail, but I'll provide a quick summary.

H&R Block mass mailed CD's for the 2013 tax software, and I received one probably because I have been a customer in past years. The come-on with the CD was a $10 discount from the regular price.

It turns out, however, that different mailings of these CD's came with different offered discounts! My $10 discount was paltry compared to what others were being offered. The contents of all the CD's are identical -- expect for two files that apparently govern the discount. So by downloading the entire high-discount CD or by using these two files in conjunction with your CD, you can get the software at a lower price.

The kicker here is that when you run the CD and complete your purchase, the software explicitly encourages you to pass the CD along to other people. Now I doubt that H&R Block anticipated that this might be done by posting the CD on the internet, but I'm not quite sure that their lack of foresight makes it illegitimate to do so.

FWIW, I eschewed the "free" version that required the internet disconnection because it would have meant taking a step to deceive H&R Block. I did use the high-discount files with my CD to purchase H&R Block 2013 Deluxe Federal + State for $16.22 (including tax), which they happily accepted.

I didn't post this earlier as a "hot deal" myself because of its borderline nature. It's up to you to decide which side of the legitimacy line this deal falls on.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I agree that this way of getting the H&R Block software pushes hard on the boundaries of legitimacy.

This "deal" has been around since early December and there are threads on SlickDeals that describe the process in much greater detail, but I'll provide a quick summary.

H&R Block mass mailed CD's for the 2013 tax software, and I received one probably because I have been a customer in past years. The come-on with the CD was a $10 discount from the regular price.

It turns out, however, that different mailings of these CD's came with different offered discounts! My $10 discount was paltry compared to what others were being offered. The contents of all the CD's are identical -- expect for two files that apparently govern the discount. So by downloading the entire high-discount CD or by using these two files in conjunction with your CD, you can get the software at a lower price.

The kicker here is that when you run the CD and complete your purchase, the software explicitly encourages you to pass the CD along to other people. Now I doubt that H&R Block anticipated that this might be done by posting the CD on the internet, but I'm not quite sure that their lack of foresight makes it illegitimate to do so.

FWIW, I eschewed the "free" version that required the internet disconnection because it would have meant taking a step to deceive H&R Block. I did use the high-discount files with my CD to purchase H&R Block 2013 Deluxe Federal + State for $16.22 (including tax), which they happily accepted.

I didn't post this earlier as a "hot deal" myself because of its borderline nature. It's up to you to decide which side of the legitimacy line this deal falls on.

Good info, thanks. I would have no problem using the lowest price CD that they encouraged to share (which I assume is what is in the OP), but disabling your connection to to get a free version that obviously wasn't meant to be used by everybody isn't right.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Isn't H&R Block free online anyway? I can't remember the last time I actually paid to have my taxes filed for me...

I don't do anything special though. And this is the first year I've had to file state taxes. =(

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Guys you don't have to pay to do taxes, only state taxes (normally around $10). Unless you run a business, have lots of "extra" deductions, etc you can do them online for FREE. Most websites even save info from last year for you so you just have to change a few numbers around.

If you are single/married and just have a normal job do it online.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Guys you don't have to pay to do taxes, only state taxes (normally around $10). Unless you run a business, have lots of "extra" deductions, etc you can do them online for FREE. Most websites even save info from last year for you so you just have to change a few numbers around.

If you are single/married and just have a normal job do it online.

Maybe true, but there's something about entering all the pertinent information for my taxes into any website that makes me cringe.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I am with PowerEngineer on this one.

Thread is locked and codes are deleted.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Status
Not open for further replies.