Free games with 7970. What's the deal with Steam, Uplay and Origin?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Most of the games I currently have are old. I just built this PC and would like to try the free games that came with my graphics card. They are Tomb Raider on one promo and BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3 and FarCry3 Blood Dragon on the 2nd promo.

1. Are they full games?
2. How intrusive are their DRM schemes (Steam, Uplay and Origin)?
3. Do they spy on the users non-gaming activities, install toolbars, etc.?
4. Do you need to use real information when signing up for these services?
5. Which game/service would be a good place to start for a newbie? Steam seems popular here.
6. Can all of these games be played in single-player?

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
Most of the games I currently have are old. I just built this PC and would like to try the free games that came with my graphics card. They are Tomb Raider on one promo and BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3 and FarCry3 Blood Dragon on the 2nd promo.

1. Are they full games?
4. Do you need to use real information when signing up for these services? 5. Which game/service would be a good place to start for a newbie? Steam seems popular here.

1) yes
2) DRM software stays open throughout play (i think, i haven't tried turning it off)
3) I would doubt it. but who knows?
4) of course not. just stay consistent. otherwise you may lose access.
5) dunno
6) Pretty sure all can be played single player.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for your reply. Do the DRM schemes run in the background all the time. If so has this been a problem for anyone? Any problems running with a standard user account (non-admin)?

A little searching shows that Tomb Raider and Bio Shock Infinite uses Steam. Crysis 3 uses Origin and FarCry3 uses Uplay. Does that sound correct?

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Do the DRM schemes run in the background all the time. If so has this been a problem for anyone? Any problems running with a standard user account (non-admin)?

A little searching shows that Tomb Raider and Bio Shock Infinite uses Steam. Crysis 3 uses Origin and FarCry3 uses Uplay. Does that sound correct?

Steam/Uplay/etc are DRM in the sense that these games are tied to your accounts, and you need to be logged into the respective client application to authenticate your account and play the game. Beyond that, DRM schemes are on a per-game basis. If you close the Steam/Uplay/etc client while playing, some games may boot you out or crash. A lot of games *just* use the steam/uplay/whatever basic authentication as the DRM.

However, the publishers and developers may also opt-in to use their own DRM on top of the service authentication, such as Securom, activation/installation limits/etc. Some also use these methods for the retail versions of their games but remove them for Steam releases. If you're concerned, it's best to read up on the DRM scheme of the individual game in question.

As for if you need to use real info to sign up, the answer is NO. You are welcome to sign up with fake information, however be warned that if you ever lose access to your account (account compromise, forgot password/secret questions, no access to recovery email address) and need to work with support to regain access, you need to A) Know the information you signed up with, and B) PROVE THAT PERSON IS YOU. If you cant fax them a copy of a valid drivers license registered to Cupcake Petunia who lives at 123 Strawberry Lane, they're not resetting your info for you and your games are gone for good.

Last edited:

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012

Correct.

Steam appears to me the least intrusive. Origin is commonly most hated (EA) and I try to avoid these. :colbert:

Steam has become a great platform since launch some 10 years go. I source all my games from there. They all come at a great discount too.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001

1. Are they full games?
5. Which game/service would be a good place to start for a newbie? Steam seems popular here.

1. Yes complete full games.
2. They are clients to sell you games and distribute the games you buy from them. They work fine and don't get in the way.
3. Steam does not, it will ask you if you wish to take part in a survey if you are randomly selected for it. Origin does look at all programs that are installed on your PC and tells EA. No clue on Uplay, but I don't think they do anything.
4. Nope, don't need real info if you don't want too.
5. Steam, it is the most user friendly and straight forward. Though the other 2 aren't difficult to use either.
6. Yes, they are all single player games. Tomb Raider and Crysis 3 have multiplayer modes but are not the feature of the games.

Enjoy the games, they are all pretty good.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for all of the great help everyone. It's much appreciated :).

After reading Mushkins post I checked out Steams site and it seems like it only wants basic info. I guess that means I only need to give them real info if I decided to purchase anything. Uplay and Origin seems to have next steps that I can't see until I give them info.

Well, it looks like I have an Origin account because I have an EA account from BF3 on the PS3 which I don't play.

Oh, I almost forgot. I have a small 128GB SSD for Windows 8 64bit and commonly used apps and a 1TB for large programs like games. Is it a problem to install the DRM platforms on the SSD and the games on the HDD?

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Thanks for all of the great help everyone. It's much appreciated :).

After reading Mushkins post I checked out Steams site and it seems like it only wants basic info. I guess that means I only need to give them real info if I decided to purchase anything. Uplay and Origin seems to have next steps that I can't see until I give them info.

Well, it looks like I have an Origin account because I have an EA account from BF3 on the PS3 which I don't play.

Oh, I almost forgot. I have a small 128GB SSD for Windows 8 64bit and commonly used apps and a 1TB for large programs like games. Is it a problem to install the DRM platforms on the SSD and the games on the HDD?

I wouldn't even bother installing them on the SSD, the clients wont gain any advantage to it. But yes you can do install them there and the games on the HDD. Note, not all Steam games yet allow the installation of a game outside of the Steam client directory, but in this case with TR and BSI they both do support being able to be installed on another directory. I can't speak for certain about Uplay though as I have only used their client that is a bit different for the Steam version of their games but I believe they allow installation to other drives.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
You have a 7970....use that baby to the full potential. Get your ass on Steam and enjoy the huge summer sale they're having right now!

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011

1. Are they full games?

I use both Steam and Origin. They require you to be online when you are installing the games, but you can switch the applications to be offline once the games are installed. Both Steam and Origin will collect information on you, the difference being that Steam usually asks first while Origin just does it, though you can go into the settings and switch information gathering off. Games on Uplay used to require you to be online constantly while playing Ubisoft games, but I think they removed that a year ago.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I wouldn't even bother installing them on the SSD, the clients wont gain any advantage to it. But yes you can do install them there and the games on the HDD. Note, not all Steam games yet allow the installation of a game outside of the Steam client directory, but in this case with TR and BSI they both do support being able to be installed on another directory. I can't speak for certain about Uplay though as I have only used their client that is a bit different for the Steam version of their games but I believe they allow installation to other drives.
Thanks! It sounds as if I better install the clients and games on the HDD.

You have a 7970....use that baby to the full potential. Get your ass on Steam and enjoy the huge summer sale they're having right now!
LOL. I've had this rig build for almost a week and still haven't played a game :(.

I use both Steam and Origin. They require you to be online when you are installing the games, but you can switch the applications to be offline once the games are installed. Both Steam and Origin will collect information on you, the difference being that Steam usually asks first while Origin just does it, though you can go into the settings and switch information gathering off. Games on Uplay used to require you to be online constantly while playing Ubisoft games, but I think they removed that a year ago.
Thanks for the tip on the Origin option :).

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
The NSA reports your gaming habits to Obama, even if you use fake info to register.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
LOL. I've had this rig build for almost a week and still haven't played a game :(.

You are in trouble, then. If you have never used steam, then logging in now during the summer sale for the first time ever will ruin you!

But GL and do enjoy!

Skyrim was already on sale but could be again. If you like that sort of game, then I would suggest grabbing that off of steam (wait to see if it hits another daily deal), grab the recommended texture pack updates from the workshop, and see what that card can do.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I think Steam is fantastic. I signed up to it a few years ago and have never looked back.

I do have half a dozen games on Origin but Steam is far superior imo.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm finally getting everything settled on this PC and got Steam and Bioshock infinite installed.

Since there is a sale I could use a few game suggestions. I have no recent games other than the free games I got with my card. I'm mainly looking for single player games for the time being.

I really like single player games like Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefront II. Larger maps with good AI is what I'm looking for.

I liked infamous on the PS3. I liked being randomly harassed by the AI with the choice to fight or run from the AI enemies in a relatively large world.

I like GTA4 on the PS3.

I liked Jane's Combat Simulations WWII Fighters for Windows 98. Any offline flight combat simulator from WWI to the future would sound interesting to me.

I also like GT5 on the PS3. I've been addicted to playing "Dirty Nascar" with my friends for the past two years. I seek a realistic driving sim with the option to have fun. I also have Dirt Track Racing 1 and 2 on the PC and like playing them.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
I REALLY liked Sleeping Dogs. It came with my free promo package (I didn't get Tomb Raider.) I think it's like GTA(I don't know, I haven't played GTA since the first one). You run around beating people up and racing cars. All with a story line.