Question Free EPYC.... BUT see inside ** Updated, its not available anymore, see inside for why ** But I did get a 24 core EPYC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, so I have a EPYC 32 core 7551 ES I will give away for shipping only to a DC member.

Here is the catch, and I doubt anyone will take me up on it, but you never know. The only motherboard/bios it will work on is a Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 (pretty sure thats it) and only on bios G0 (I have to verify that also, I have it)

And here is the kicker.... It only runs at ONE GHZ fully loaded in linux.

But a free 32 core CPU ? Well, we will see. I got suckered into this years ago, and it cost me $300 each for 2 CPUs and $650 for the motherboard, and the other one I bought is now out of commission , but it still works. If I could sell the motherboard, it might be worth it. I may ebay it and we will see.

Edit: I hate to say it, but I might have found a reason for someone to buy the motherboard (but I will put that on ebay) 5 PCI x16 slots, and 2 x8 slots, and all of them have a decent amount of lanes. Miners might jump at it.

Edit: here is the listing for the one I was using...Miners dream ? we will see.

Last edited:

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I'm able to get it as far as the mint symbol with the black background. After this point it black screens and the board reboots and the process starts again. The only stable screen I can reach is the Mint boot menu. I'm able to examine the hardware info. I've tried boot in compatibility mode which causes some code to flash on the screen but eventually crashes and reboots.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm able to get it as far as the mint symbol with the black background. After this point it black screens and the board reboots and the process starts again. The only stable screen I can reach is the Mint boot menu. I'm able to examine the hardware info. I've tried boot in compatibility mode which causes some code to flash on the screen but eventually crashes and reboots.
This is exactly why it requires that old gigabyte board, and the old bios. You see why you got it free....

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Fair enough. I went into this expecting an outcome like this. Would you like me to ship the processor back for further experimentation on your end? Or should I keep it as a memento to the technological innovation over at AMD?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
@burninatortech4 before you throw in the towel - what bios settings have you messed around with so far? I would try disabling all integrated peripherals (nic, etc.), disable all power saving, c-states, etc. and see if you have any better luck.

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Fair enough. I went into this expecting an outcome like this. Would you like me to ship the processor back for further experimentation on your end? Or should I keep it as a memento to the technological innovation over at AMD?
Do you want to keep trying ? And if not what motherboard is it, and for sale ? I don't have the patience for what Icecold is saying, but thats the type of thing to keep trying. Its the IO that is problematic.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
@burninatortech4 before you throw in the towel - what bios settings have you messed around with so far? I would try disabling all integrated peripherals (nic, etc.), disable all power saving, c-states, etc. and see if you have any better luck.

I'll have time to try a few more steps like that this evening. If it still doesn't work I'll have the following for sale:

1) Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-B (lacks Broadcom SAS controller)
2) Samsung 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T-RD0-11-DC0

Both brand new.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'll have time to try a few more steps like that this evening. If it still doesn't work I'll have the following for sale:

1) Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-B (lacks Broadcom SAS controller)
2) Samsung 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T-RD0-11-DC0

Both brand new.
PM me a price on the motherboard. All my EPYC memory is 16 gig 2666 sticks.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I also wonder if maybe it's just a bad stick of RAM. I've had plenty of RAM out of the box where 1 stick doesn't function 100% properly. Is that the only stick of RAM you have that is compatible? Is there only one slot the RAM will function in? if not, maybe try other slots? Could also see if a memtest usb will boot and run memtest.

I feel like the fact that it POSTs and detects the CPU properly, and gets as far as it does that there's got to be at least a decent shot at getting it working :)

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So what if you use an USB attached storage device as boot device?
E.g. a SATA SSD behind an USB-SATA bridge.
I got it to boo the linix mint USB ISO, but it won't run off that will it ?

Edit: @Icecold Its doing exactly what it did for me on my EPYCD8 motherboards, only the gigabyte motherboard with the G0 bios would work. I gave it away hoping somebody else knew A workaround.

@burninatortech4 , if you give up, give it to someone else here in DC that wants to try it, for $10 shipping like we did. No sense in shipping it back to me, then me shipping it out again.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004

Edit: @Icecold Its doing exactly what it did for me on my EPYCD8 motherboards, only the gigabyte motherboard with the G0 bios would work. I gave it away hoping somebody else knew A workaround.

@burninatortech4 , if you give up, give it to someone else here in DC that wants to try it, for $10 shipping like we did. No sense in shipping it back to me, then me shipping it out again.
You can create it as a 'persistent' usb, which will then keep all your settings and programs and everything after a reboot - https://www.debugpoint.com/2019/10/how-to-create-persistent-usb-ubuntu-linux-mint/

BOINC would most likely kill a flash drive after awhile due to task writes('m guessing), but a cheap SATA SSD with a USB adapter should work just fine.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If he gives up, and you want to try, wherever this goes, I just want it used for TEAM Anandtech DC work. That sounds like a real possibility. I KNOW it booted fine, but would not install on a SATA HD or SSD or NVME drive. blue screen or lockup, just like what he is experiencing.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
You can create it as a 'persistent' usb, which will then keep all your settings and programs and everything after a reboot - https://www.debugpoint.com/2019/10/how-to-create-persistent-usb-ubuntu-linux-mint/

BOINC would most likely kill a flash drive after awhile due to task writes('m guessing), but a cheap SATA SSD with a USB adapter should work just fine.
You could boot from USB and use network storage for the boinc directory. I do that with my raspberry pi’s.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
So what if you use an USB attached storage device as boot device?
E.g. a SATA SSD behind an USB-SATA bridge.
What @Icecold and @Endgame124 said.

The various Linux distributions may have different support for less common storage layers for the (a) boot loader, (b) kernel and initial RAM disk (initrd), and (c) OS filesystems. But I haven't been following which distributions have what extent of support. For the lowest barrier of entry, there are of course many 'live' Linux images which work off of a USB stick.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'd try a live distro just for kicks. If it works, you could then try hooking up a HDD and see if the OS can access that once it is booted. If that works, a USB connected HDD could be used as a boot device, or if that fails, an SLC USB stick.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Minor update. I was able to create a live USB and disable the following settings in BIOS

0.jpg

(The BIOS settings I assume) has changed the behavior negatively. It now gets locked on the Supermicro splash screen on the DXE--CPU Initialization step. I'm going to clear the CMOS and keep at it.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I would try turning off SVM Mode. That's the virtualization setting on newer AMD processors, and I've read of issues on certain boards and CPU's with having that enabled. Unless you're running a BOINC project that requires Virtualbox, or using it for other VM stuff you won't need it.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
Any combination of disabling these features just makes the machine freeze on DXE--CPU initialization. Default gets me through but then I'm back to the same issues as my previous posts.

Edit: Yes I did disable SVM mode.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Any combination of disabling these features just makes the machine freeze on DXE--CPU initialization. Default gets me through but then I'm back to the same issues as my previous posts.

Edit: Yes I did disable SVM mode.
BTW, its DOES work on that gigabyte motherboard with G0 bios. But that damn thing is $625 ! Of course if you get the CPU free, then its not as bad.

Anyway, I hope you succeed !!!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Question... I know the problem is in the IO stream. Sata, nvme and USB so far no good. What about an IDE card in the PCI slots ? I have one.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
If NVME doesn't boot, chances are slim that any other PCIe attached device would boot.

BTW, for NVME boot, Supermicro's AMI BIOS needs to be in UEFI boot mode, or Dual boot mode, but not Legacy boot mode — AFAIK. This setting is in the "Boot" tab, "Boot Mode Select" option.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
If NVME doesn't boot, chances are slim that any other PCIe attached device would boot.

BTW, for NVME boot, Supermicro's AMI BIOS needs to be in UEFI boot mode, or Dual boot mode, but not Legacy boot mode — AFAIK. This setting is in the "Boot" tab, "Boot Mode Select" option.
This card is PCI, not express... Any chance ? I will have it back next Friday. old artic cooler 360 AIO for the cooler (found it while cleaning out for AC install)

Edit: I just looked. NO EPYC board has any PCI slots, all PCI Express x16 or X8 or X4.

Edit 2: Ordered an x1 PCIE card to IDE.

This one

Last edited: