Free email services?

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Yes, I know there are a million topics on this (I know how to search), but I think I may have a unique situation (at least compared to the thread I checked, as far as I checked them).

I have a domain name and I'd like to use the email addresses there as a "front-end" for my and my better half's email. Forwarding to Yahoo accounts was great for a while, because it allowed me to specify a "Reply-to" and so forth. HOWEVER, a problem occurred. It's best explained in this support email I received:

Because of the volume of mail sent through the mail forwarding service,
there are frequent cases of abuse and spam complaints. Yahoo! has taken
a very aggressive stance on blocking spam. Yahoo! and a few other
e-mail providers constantly apply blacklists to the mail servers that
are relaying mail for your domain. Every few days, a customer complains
that their e-mail is not being forwarded reliably, and we complain to
eNom, who complains to Yahoo, who fixes this case, only to blacklist the
mail relays again, causing the mail to stop running again.

We have encouraged customers to complain to Yahoo that they should not
block e-mail being sent to them via eNom. If mail comes through a
machine at name-services.com, addressed to @<oboeguy's domain>, that
e-mail should be handled as legitimate e-mail, and not blocked by
Yahoo!. Failing that, reliable e-mail forwarding would be ensured only
by switching your e-mail provider to one who is more flexible in their
Spam management policies.

So, any suggestions on services that could help get around this problem? Remember, FREE is the key word here. :) I found one local service that allows the forward to come through, but it is so stripped-down that it won't allow me to set the "Reply-to" field.

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
ok i read your post, and to be honest i don't really "get" the problem (which may be why nobody has responded yet.)

basically what you're looking for is a free email service that can forward emails but change the reply-to address? or what? give me specifics... there are a bunch of free SMTP servers out there that you could use; even use your ISP's and set up a subaccount or something.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Why don't you just pay for a webmail service that is linked directly to your domain? Something like GoDaddy.com can set you up with full webmail and all for around $10 a year.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
don't be a cheap ass and put up the $20 it will cost you to have your own domain, own website & own web accesible e-mail...

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
$10 per year? Somebody show me a link! I guess the last time I checked it was more like $10/month. That sounds like a much better option.

FYI, my registrar is servercentral.net. They have served me well for a number of years.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
Is this recent? I started having problems with this mail forwarding business just yesterday.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: oboeguy
$10 per year? Somebody show me a link! I guess the last time I checked it was more like $10/month. That sounds like a much better option.

FYI, my registrar is servercentral.net. They have served me well for a number of years.

The $10/yr is offered by RippleHost.com which offers 200MB disk space (can be used for your web site and email accounts), 4GB per month bandwidth, up to 10 e-mail addresses, email (POP3/IMAP), webmail and of course plain 'ole web site hosting. Unfortunately they are currently having DNS issues so you cannot access their site but their clients sites should be working just fine.

You do NOT have to pay $10/mo for decent email hosting, other affordable choices are:
e-rice.net
HostPC.com - I use this to host my email only account, works great!
SolidInternet.com

If you can afford the $29.95/yr I would recommend going with SolidInternet.com which is owned and operated by the established and reputable Myacen Network.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
I've offered email hosting to members of this forum for a while. If you are willing to buy a domain name for ~$8-$9 a year, I would be glad to help you out with the hosting for free. Ripplehost seems to have been having some outages recently, some of which lasted over 24 hours.

Origional Post

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I don't really get it either. My host (8-95.com) lets me create aliases that point to a real address that I do not give out. My reply-to address in Outlook is different from the actual account I send the email from, so my REAL account is not seen. Is this what you're trying to accomplish?

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: beatle
I don't really get it either. My host (8-95.com) lets me create aliases that point to a real address that I do not give out. My reply-to address in Outlook is different from the actual account I send the email from, so my REAL account is not seen. Is this what you're trying to accomplish?

Of course that is what I am trying to do. I guess what you're missing is that 1) I need the mail account and 2) I want webmail. I guess I could try my ISP's stuff, but last I recall I didn't like it much. Besides, I'd like to keep it separate from whatever ISP I am using.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002

Of course that is what I am trying to do. I guess what you're missing is that 1) I need the mail account and 2) I want webmail. I guess I could try my ISP's stuff, but last I recall I didn't like it much. Besides, I'd like to keep it separate from whatever ISP I am using.

Now, I'm also a bit confused :(, are you looking for a new email address or a way to forward the address somewhere else?

Either way, send me a PM and I can help you out.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

I would PM DeviousTrap he has some very nice dedicated servers and can offer you some great deals -or- sign up for HostPC.com which offers all the e-mail you need (POP3/IMAP) with webmail included. I use HostPC exclusively for my webmail and it's been nothing but excellent. Plus I also love the DirectAdmin control panel.

OZEE

Feb 23, 2001
HostPC (see link in Rossman's msg) has a great $25/year account that has both webmail and squirrelmail... plus pop3 and imap.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: OZEE
HostPC (see link in Rossman's msg) has a great $25/year account that has both webmail and squirrelmail... plus pop3 and imap.

They have discontinued the $12/yr plan, I forgot why. So the only affordable option is the $25/yr which is a still a good deal.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002