Free app to clone a HD (DOS/BIOS, not Windows)?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I need to clone a failing laptop hard drive.
I'll try to plug both SATA drives into my dekstop PC.
What program can I boot outside of Windows partition to do the clone?
I don't think my Acronis 11 boots anymore on my new PC

silicon

Nov 27, 2004
I need to clone a failing laptop hard drive.
I'll try to plug both SATA drives into my dekstop PC.
What program can I boot outside of Windows partition to do the clone?
I don't think my Acronis 11 boots anymore on my new PC

Clonezilla is free and works.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I had a spare 250GB SSD lying around ($130?)
I figured I'd just try that, instead of buying another $50 HD.
Using Acronis 11 right from Win7,
I cloned the old drive (with brand new image) onto the SSD drive.
Laptop is now fast as hell. Better than when new.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
I personally use MiniTool Partition Wizard for general cloning, and EaseUS Disk Copy for disaster cloning (because it supports a blind sector-by-sector clone). I tried Clonezilla once a number of years ago, but it didn't work as well as I needed to, though newer versions may have addressed those issues.

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Are you cloning the original hard drive to another hard drive, or are you taking the opportunity to convert to an SSD?

If you are going the SSD route, make sure your cloning software has an option to adjust the partition alignment when cloning the image to the SSD. I know the free version of Easus ToDo Backup has an option to do this (you can install it, then create the boot CD version from the installation and use that to clone the drives outside Windows).

Also, if you are cloning an OEM disk which also contains a hidden OEM restore partition and you want to retain the restore partition, you might also need a Windows repair disk to make the clone bootable if the original and new drives are different sizes (which is almost always the case if the new drive is an SSD).

Last edited:

pyjujiop

Mar 17, 2001
Also, if you are cloning an OEM disk which also contains a hidden OEM restore partition and you want to retain the restore partition, you might also need a Windows repair disk to make the clone bootable if the original and new drives are different sizes (which is almost always the case if the new drive is an SSD).

You're almost always better off just downloading a copy of your version of Windows from the Digital River site and then reinstalling from that, using your OEM product key. You'll have to go through the activation process again, but you'll also end up with a clean install without the crapware that the OEM partition reinstalls along with Windows.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
You're almost always better off just downloading a copy of your version of Windows from the Digital River site and then reinstalling from that, using your OEM product key. You'll have to go through the activation process again, but you'll also end up with a clean install without the crapware that the OEM partition reinstalls along with Windows.

Especially true on a "failing hdd". I'd install clean and put the old drive into an external enclosure to get any data off.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I upgraded the laptop to an SSD drive.
So yes, it was smaller 340GB to 250GB.
Acronis 11 allowed me to manually size the partitions.
I reduced the main 200GB partition with tons of free space down to 200GB.
All other partitions were the same or bigger (restore partition, etc)

Clone was quick and successful, and the laptop kicks ass now.

Yes, next time, I will do a fresh Win7 install from scratch.
The bloatware on this laptop OS isn't terrible, I think.

ichie

Dec 30, 2013
I think aomei backupper can also to do this, with its function WINPE bootable usb or disc

VeroK

Mar 27, 2014
Hello;
I'm trying to select a backup software package & the users discussing this thread seems to have exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Please let me know if I shold delete this post and start a separate thread.

I am not necessary looking for a free backup app, I'm very willing to step-up to a paid version, but I'm having trouble determining if any given app wold be capable of restoring my data from a backup image. I've looked into Macrium (my backups failed, doesn't like my Dell Latitude partitions), NovaBackup, Easus Todo & StoreCraft's ShadowProtect.

I'm very afraid of Acronis, with the horrible Amazon reviews & many reports of terrible tech support.

Some of the things I'm trying to understand:
1) Are all the winPE disks that every backup system allows you to create, basically the same thing or not?
2) As it was mentioned here, it seems that a clean install after disaster may be a safer bet (and better final result) than copying everything from an older disk using an image. But I just found out that you need a special Dell disk for the OEM WIn7 to be re installed. I ordered that from Dell. The question is: what about all the other programs that I've installed in my computer? How can I test if these would be recovered from an image? I have a couple of very large USB drives that I could use for simulating the recovery. Can you guys point me to a link where I can learn more on how to do this?

3) It appears to me that unless I educate myself extensively on how Windows works, it is pretty much impossible to even evaluate if any given software is giving me the safety net they promise. Would you guys agree with that statement? What do you recommend to your tech-challenged relatives to do?

4) I'm baffled on why isn't there a thriving local market of "backup set-up assistance" services: I would expect that small "fix your laptop" stores would all be set up to help noobish end-users (with their favorite backup software to sell to us) and assist us with making sure is working right, answer questions, etc. However, I found this not to be the case at all. Everybody offers cloud backup, but the recurring costs are so high and I have no need for my data to be in the cloud. Does anybody know of a service (even just remote assistance) that can hand-hold you to set up your backup strategy soundly?

Your expert opinion would be greatly appreciated!!

ignatzatsonic

Nov 20, 2006
Imaging programs (including Macrium) usually let you access and restore individual files, including data files. BUT, I wouldn't rely on any imaging product for data backup because imaging is not foolproof and could let you down when you most need it. I'd use an ordinary file by file backup program for data backup.

Acronis does seem to have more problems than some of it's competitors. I'd try Macrium Reflect Free Edition. But it can fail too.

I'm not sure if all Win PE discs are the same, but Macrium lets you make a Linux-based recovery disk if you prefer. However, the Win PE disks are more reliable and more likely to boot. If the recovery disk won't boot, you are out of luck and can't restore.

EVERYTHING on the imaged partition would be restored, including programs, licensing info, configuration details, pictures of your cat, whatever was on that partition.

The only way to confirm for an absolute fact that the restore will work is to do a restore and see if it boots and works normally. You'd have to do that to an internal drive as I don't think Windows will boot from an external.

Or--just hope it will work. In my experience, restored images DO work. The more likely source of problems is that you cannot boot the recovery disk or you make a mistake such as not making an image of your "system reserved" partition as well as C or restoring to the incorrect partition and over-writing a good data partition.

Even with extensive Windows knowledge you can't be sure about the safety net. Restoration may fail for unknown reasons. The only way to be sure is to restore as a test. Even then, the test could work and you could still fail when a real disaster strikes.

I just would NOT EVER get myself in a situation where I had to rely on images. I'd always have a Plan B. I'd hope that imaging would work, but I would NOT expect it to work.

Regarding a "thriving local market for backup assistance": there is a thriving local market in the form of online forums like this one. Actual bricks and mortar "computer shops" are a dying breed. Few can survive, even if they offer a wide variety of services, so I wouldn't expect they could survive on such a narrow basis as "backup setup assistance".

Most users don't backup and aren't interested.

A strategy isn't that difficult. Choose local or cloud and go from there. I avoid the cloud as I don't want an Internet connection to be between me and my data backup. So I use local in several ways: to a second internal drive once or twice daily, to another drive through an external dock every month or so, and to a USB thumb drive every month or so.

That's for data alone. All of my data is on D. I use Free File Sync, a free app from Sourceforge.net, but there are a number of similar programs that will do the job.

I separately make an image file of my C drive only, using Macrium, once a month. No personal data on C. Takes 6 minutes.

You could modify those methods to suit your own case.

The primary ideas are to have more than one backup, to do them on a rotating basis, and to preferably keep at least one of them stored off-site.

Last edited: