Freddie Mac Paid McCain's campaign manager lobby firm 30k per month.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
2. These are not Campaign Donations, these are campaign access payments directly to a MCCAIN's main guy
3. McCain and davis LIED
4. HE was paid until last month!
5. MCCAIN WAS CAUGHT LYING AGAIN.

HE was paid? or the firm was paid?

Please post the link where is says the Davis himself (not the firm) received money.

You know your side is doing bad when you start arguing over semantics:).

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
2. These are not Campaign Donations, these are campaign access payments directly to a MCCAIN's main guy
3. McCain and davis LIED

Please post the link where is says the Davis himself (not the firm) received money.

What is my side? Truth?

And if you think there's no difference between a company he's not receiving distributions from receiving payments and him receiving payments, then you should go work for the media!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
3. McCain and davis LIED

What is my side? Truth?

And if you think there's no difference between a company he's not receiving distributions from receiving payments and him receiving payments, then you should go work for the media!

Keep focusing on the wordings of the debate rather than the larger implications. We know your mind is closed regarding your preference so you do no favors to yourself or others by trying to make yourself believe that there is nothing wrong here. Continue your focus on what the meaning of "is" is and let us know how it turns out.

Butterbean

Banned
Oct 12, 2006
Just a peer media hatchet job. Paul Begala was also paid by Fannie for consulting. Of course Obama had Fannie CEO picking VP's for him. Americans would have to be dumb to swallow this. Then again they swallow lots of things these days.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Butterbean
Just a peer media hatchet job. Paul Begala was also paid by Fannie for consulting. Of course Obama had Fannie CEO picking VP's for him. Americans would have to be dumb to swallow this. Then again they swallow lots of things these days.

Man I know. They are so mind bogglingly stupid that they think Obama is a stealth marxist who wants to teach kindergarteners how to have sex.

So yes, some people in America are apparently very very dumb.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

What have you been swallowing recently?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
3. McCain and davis LIED

What is my side? Truth?

Keep focusing on the wordings of the debate rather than the larger implications. We know your mind is closed regarding your preference so you do no favors to yourself or others by trying to make yourself believe that there is nothing wrong here. Continue your focus on what the meaning of "is" is and let us know how it turns out.

I guess when you can't focus on the stated facts, you just accuse others of playing semantics. Pretty sorry defense of your supposed point.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
3. McCain and davis LIED

What is my side? Truth?

I guess when you can't focus on the stated facts, you just accuse others of playing semantics. Pretty sorry defense of your supposed point.

Don't mind me. I was enjoying your focus on the meaning of words. It's like concentrating on the trees and ignoring the forests. But please continue as if I don't exist.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: loki8481
but it's stupid that we demonize lobbyists and turn them into boogeymen.

No it isn't. These people exist solely to engage in legal thievery from the american taxpayer. There is no merit in that, and lobbyists are paid to advance their clients interests ahead of what is best for the country.

Their bad reputation is well deserved. I've sat next to many a lobbyist on business trips and overheard their phone conversations.

what about the people/groups who lobby to represent your interests?

I'm sure microsoft employees don't mind microsoft's lobbyists... I'm pretty happy that gay rights and environmental lobbyists exist, old people would probably say the same about AARP.

Well it's influence peddling pure and simple, and it's antithetical to our democratic principles. The fact is that most bills are written by lobbyists, for lobbyists. It really doesn't matter what X% of lobbying might represent causes or interests that I support. I am against it on principle. I already supposedly have someone to represent my interests, my Senators and my Congressman.

It's no small coincidence that the telecoms threw a huge party for the D's that supported telecom immunity or that Dept of Interior employees were snorting coke off the fake tits of some oil lobbyists. It's a wholly corrupt system and needs to be abolished.

It's tantamount to treason in my eyes, there are plenty of legitimate avenues for Congress people to become informed about an issue without being coerced with "gifts", campaign contributions, and other perks.

A step in the right direction would be term limits for both the House and Senate. This would certainly free up Congress to spend more time doing work and less time trying to get reelected.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Go back in your closet.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
3. McCain and davis LIED

What is my side? Truth?

Let me get this straight. He owns the firm that's getting the donations but he's not profiting from them? Yeah, right. If your really believe that I've got land in S Florida to sell you.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I heard the payments his firm got don't go to him. To me this complicates this as a black and white issue.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

Let me get this straight. He owns the firm that's getting the donations but he's not profiting from them? Yeah, right. If your really believe that I've got land in S Florida to sell you.

until someone finds check stubs or wire transfer receipts saying otherwise, he's not only not getting his partnership share of freddie's money, he's not getting his partnership share of anything.

otherwise it's all just bullshiting and something for junkies to get their jollies off with.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix

until someone finds check stubs or wire transfer receipts saying otherwise, he's not only not getting his partnership share of freddie's money, he's not getting his partnership share of anything.

otherwise it's all just bullshiting and something for junkies to get their jollies off with.

If you say so;)

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
The big deal ?

1. McCain and davis LIED
3. McCain and davis LIED

What is my side? Truth?

What the hell is the difference if its him personally or the firm? The fact is he is a lobbyist and is being paid to get favorable votes from Congress. That is broken and needs to stop. It matters zero whether he was paid directly or via company profit, or for that matter, if he was just an employee getting a paycheck. The whole thing is bogus.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005

If you say so;)

lol at you calling people close minded while screaming LALALA with your fingers in your ears.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please. I expected better of you, sir.

Payments go to Davis' firm, which is a partnership. He's not receiving payment *at this time*. So what happens to the money, anyway? It stays in the firm until it's disbursed to the partners. He'll get his share before it's over.

It doesn't bother me that he's a lobbyist, or that Freddie has been paying his firm. That's largely expected and unexceptional. Nor is lobbying "evil!" by definition- it's as old as the Republic itself, actually older, becoming problematical only in the kind of quid pro quo we've seen a lot of recently. Anybody who has a particular pov to express to the congresscritters wants spokespeople who are highly persuasive and well-connected. I would, in their place. Doesn't mean that the congresscritters have to do what the lobbyists' clients want, either.

It does bother me when somebody's pissing down my leg, telling me it's raining, which is the way that the McCain campaign has been handling the whole issue of lobbyists. It's not straight talk, it's dishonest, and anybody with a lick of sense should realize that.