Freakomonics - What did you think?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Freakonomics - Steven Levitt & Stephen Dubner
^- is the book -^

This is an absolutely amazing book, a must read.

For those who have read the book, please leave comments and reviews on the topics discussed. This is a non-partisan piece of literature focusing on social issues, but from an economist's perspective. I think both sides will thoroughly enjoy and agree with its content.

Cheers!

sellmen

May 4, 2003
I thought it was a good book. Intesting, but not "amazing" in my opinion.

Esentially it is a book on causation vs correlation. I found some of the examples they selected very interesting; the abortion/crime connection for example. Other parts were less interesting to me.

For whatever reason, it just didn't "wow" me though. Perhaps it's the writing style, perhaps its the examples they selected. I read it once, put it down, and haven't looked at it since.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Ehhh, I put it in the same category as "The MIllionaire Next Door". Some interesting examples but nothing that anyone with above average common sense didnt already know.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I liked it a lot. Improved my feelings about abortions, and I laughed at the gun vs. backyard pool chapter.

Jun 27, 2005
There were a lot of good nuggets in that book.

Nobody has said it yet but I found his reasoning interesting in regards to Roe v Wade and the drop in crime.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

Nobody has said it yet but I found his reasoning interesting in regards to Roe v Wade and the drop in crime.

Uh yes, I already mentioned it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Summary of this idea?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Syringer

Summary of this idea?

Welcome to P&N

Based on the fact it is the Radical Right pushing reading this book I would suspect it is a Republican circle jerk.

A shame they have to resort to this when they still rule the roost quite handedly.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Summary of this idea?
Welcome to P&N

Based on the fact it is the Radical Right pushing reading this book I would suspect it is a Republican circle jerk.

A shame they have to resort to this when they still rule the roost quite handedly.
Actually dave, i'd like you to go read the book.
Until then you can shut up...

This book has absolutely no political leanings...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Stunt

Summary of this idea?
Welcome to P&N

I may in fact get it because I find that very very hard to believe.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
It has its own political leanings, if the "Freakonomics crowd" was a political party.

Quite simply, it follows its own agenda.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002

Summary of this idea?
Welcome to P&N

I may in fact get it because I find that very very hard to believe.
If you find comments in the book supporting a right wing agenda, I give you full authority to call me a radical republican.

wetech

Jul 16, 2002

Summary of this idea?

It's been awhile since I've read this, but if I remember correctly (someone who's read it recently correct me if I'm mistaken here), the theory is that those who tend to get abortions are usually from the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum. This is the same part of the population that has a higher propensity to commit a crime. So through the legalization of abortion, the potential population of criminals has been reduced, leading to a drop in crime rate.

Again, that's a very brief description of probably 30 pages of the book that I read almost a year ago.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I bought the book today at Barnes & Noble
Cool...you just gained a little respect from me :)

Today is the day I've set aside to read this book.

Right away in the first chapter is a partisan subject.

He starts right off that Legalizing Abortion is the reason for a crime drop that no one predicted because the environmental criminal pool dropped so much with all the poor liberal trash aborting their pregnacies rather than adding to the crime wave.

This has been discussed on here ad naueusm.

The Republicans in here including you still insist Abortion is bad even though right off in this book he clearly shows it had a positive affec on crime.

Partisan.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

He starts right off that Legalizing Abortion is the reason for a crime drop that no one predicted because the environmental criminal pool dropped so much with all the poor liberal trash aborting their pregnacies rather than adding to the crime wave.

The Republicans in here including you still insist Abortion is bad even though right off in this book he clearly shows it had a positive affec on crime.

Partisan.

Not a right-wing POV though (in the book).

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I didn't read the book but I learned from this thread that we should sterilize poor people to reduce crime. Either that or do something about their poverty, now that I think a bit.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000

Partisan.
I don't follow your logic here; the author starts out by takeing argument against a Republican position, yet you claim he is right-wing partisan?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: TheSnowman

The Republicans in here including you still insist Abortion is bad even though right off in this book he clearly shows it had a positive affect on crime.

Partisan.
I don't follow your logic here; the author starts out by taking argument against a Republican position, yet you claim he is right-wing partisan?

No, I was just stating it was partisan in nature.

Most of it is against the Republican agenda, some against Democrat.

Thanks Stunt for suggesting I read it. I would also suggest that all folks that frequent P&N read it.

The folks at Barnes & Noble said it is always a top seller for them and I see why.

Steven simply gave it a personal name (Freakonomics) in an effort to cement himself in American Economist history which judging by the success of this book he accomplished his own goal and agenda. Congrats to him.

My summation:

He pulls no punches by immediately trampling on the Republican agenda on banning Abortion by clearly showing what happened to Romania from 1966 to 1987 when they banned abortion.

I had no idea Romania had done that, no wonder there was so many gymnasts from there.

Then I like how he calls fellow Economicist's devils with their own personal incentive schemes.

I also like how he affirmed the higher folks get on the ladder the more likely they not only will cheat but also cheated in getting up the ladder in the first place.

Interesting take on the KKK actually being a Third Party in the U.S.

Very true on Fearmongering; Like how you will die in a $20K car Vs a $50 car simply because you paid more for it.

Or how if Bush did not say there was WMD in Iraq that he would not have been able to instill enough fear with any other fear subject.

or how a simple toast to an old buddy politician led to the downfall of Trent Lott.

The comparison to gang members being the same as Mickey D employees, very cool.

How Crack stopped Blacks from becoming the dominant ethnicity in America.

It was intersting that Levitt could not put a finger on why people turn out the way that they do, in fact Chapter 5 and the last line of the book point to that confusion.

I have an answer for that but will reserve for a later appropriate time and place.

His last Chapter is also a pet peeve with me. I can't stand how the American Sheeple place such an emphasis on simply the name of a person. What really bothers me is the Hollywoodization of two first names.

Finally his destruction of the whole myth of "Conventional Wisdom". Kudos

Many of us do just that here in P&N except for the Republicans because anything that breaks control of the people goes against their grain of absolute control over the citizenry.

Through it all the book clearly shows one thing, Human Nature trumps wisdom.

Sad but true, tis the reason History repeats itself and destined to do so until the Earth and humans no longer exist.

Dave