Freakin' USPS gave my package to a street person!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Get an email today titled:

USPS® Item Delivered, Left with Individual <the tracking number>

I was home, live alone. Idiot took somebody walking by for the resident! Nothing in the emails to me tells me what it was or who from. I called a company I ordered an item from on Friday and they say, yeah, it was theirs, delivered at 10:38AM Left with individual. They're going to call the USPS and try to sort it out, get them to pay for it... who knows. Never had this happen to me before although an Amazon package that was supposedly delivered to my house I did not see and they sent me another some dozen or so years ago.

Edit: Company just called me back and says the USPS was "not very helpful." They are sending me a replacement with signature confirmation necessary.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

I was home, live alone. Idiot took somebody walking by for the resident! Nothing in the emails to me tells me what it was or who from. I called a company I ordered an item from on Friday and they say, yeah, it was theirs, delivered at 10:38AM Left with individual. They're going to call the USPS and try to sort it out, get them to pay for it... who knows. Never had this happen to me before although an Amazon package that was supposedly delivered to my house I did not see and they sent me another some dozen or so years ago.

Edit: Company just called me back and says the USPS was "not very helpful." They are sending me a replacement with signature confirmation necessary.
I mhave had that happen and it is frustrating! I am glad it worked out for you!!
What happened to me about 10 years ago is I ordered online a computer and the USPS person dropped it off outside in front of the gate on the street, because there was a beware of dog sign. Fortunately I pulled up and the computer was still there!1 Nobody took it!! arggg...

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I'd surmise it's probably not "Left with individual" and the status is a glitch in the tracking system. There was a time, recently, when Amazon defaulted to "Handed to occupant" as a delivery status - whether it WAS or not.
Or ... maybe it was as you suggest.
(Can you stop with the "street person" terminology? Smacks of political correctness.)

One time, tracking showed the item was delivered, but nothing was there when I got home from work. I assumed someone stole it off of my porch, or it was misdelivered to a neighbor.
Somehow, it magically turned up the next day or so. On my steps. It was still unopened. Wonder if someone decided they didn't want it after all.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I mhave had that happen and it is frustrating! I am glad it worked out for you!!
What happened to me about 10 years ago is I ordered online a computer and the USPS person dropped it off outside in front of the gate on the street, because there was a beware of dog sign. Fortunately I pulled up and the computer was still there!1 Nobody took it!! arggg...
This was no computer, it was something completely useless to anybody but me, cheap too. Wheel knuckles for a Bag Boy push cart, $8.20 including shipping. I was going to install today and play tomorrow. Fortunately, I obsessed over it the other day and spent a couple hours jury rigging the cart, so I think I can play with it anyway. It just pisses me off royally that the dumb USPS delivery truck driver would do something so fucking stupid!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This was no computer, it was something completely useless to anybody but me, cheap too. Wheel knuckles for a Bag Boy push cart, $8.20 including shipping. I was going to install today and play tomorrow. Fortunately, I obsessed over it the other day and spent a couple hours jury rigging the cart, so I think I can play with it anyway. It just pisses me off royally that the dumb USPS delivery truck driver would do something so fucking stupid!
It takes all kinds....lol

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'd surmise it's probably not "Left with individual" and the status is a glitch in the tracking system.
Or ... maybe it was.

One time, tracking showed the item was delivered, but nothing was there when I got home from work. I assumed someone stole it off of my porch, or it was misdelivered to a neighbor.
Somehow, it magically turned up the next day or so. On my steps. It was still unopened. Wonder if someone decided they didn't want it after all.
That could happen, but I figure someone of so little integrity as to accept something that was obviously meant for someone else wouldn't consider putting it where it belongs. I expect a call from the USPS any minute. I'll speak my mind and that's probably going to be the end of it. Except that I am going to call the company tomorrow (at their request) to find out the status, i.e. when I can expect delivery, I have to sign for the follow-up, after all.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
This happens all the time with UPS. They delivered my PS3 to the wrong building and it was right before the holiday which meant they wouldn't be able to get it to me for several days. I had to call and be persistent that they get it here that evening.

USPS delivers my mail daily and have a key to get in the building so I haven't had an issue. Only problem is if the regular mail person takes a day off sometimes the sub forgets the key and doesn't deliver until the next day.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
USPS calls me back, I explain. She asks the nature of the package, how much I paid for it ($8.20), gives me a service number (i.e. confirmation number) says they will contact me at the phone number I gave them within 2-3 business days. Don't know what if anything this will accomplish, maybe the USPS will compensate the company for having to send me a replacement package based on my insistence that I never got the original one.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
USPS calls me back, I explain. She asks the nature of the package, how much I paid for it ($8.20), gives me a service number (i.e. confirmation number) says they will contact me at the phone number I gave them within 2-3 business days. Don't know what if anything this will accomplish, maybe the USPS will compensate the company for having to send me a replacement package based on my insistence that I never got the original one.

I really hate getting packages shipped via USPS. Their tracking system is useless; you typically never know when you're actually going to get your delivery. Plus, at least in my area, it arrives pretty beat-up. I vastly prefer UPS! Or Amazon last-mile delivery services...they do a really great job! I even get a photo from them of the package at my doorstep when they deliver it, which was initially creepy but pretty cool, lol.

I should really invest in one of those ring doorbells.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Hey!! Who are you to judge me? "Street Person" is hate speech and I'm not one anyway. I was just walking by and a guy gave me a free package. What was I supposed to do, say no? It could have been a game show.

Oh, and BTW, screw you for being so cheap. Next time order something a street person would want or at least be able to sell easily.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Hey!! Who are you to judge me? "Street Person" is hate speech and I'm not one anyway. I was just walking by and a guy gave me a free package. What was I supposed to do, say no? It could have been a game show.

Oh, and BTW, screw you for being so cheap. Next time order something a street person would want or at least be able to sell easily.
WTF is a game show? Fock you.

• Haha
Reactions: darkswordsman17

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I really hate getting packages shipped via USPS. Their tracking system is useless; you typically never know when you're actually going to get your delivery. Plus, at least in my area, it arrives pretty beat-up. I vastly prefer UPS! Or Amazon last-mile delivery services...they do a really great job! I even get a photo from them of the package at my doorstep when they deliver it, which was initially creepy but pretty cool, lol.

I had a doorbell, but it was battery powered and 1/2 the time didn't go off, totally useless. I think something's there, a transformer, not sure it would work with a wired doorbell, I've never tested it. Old house, built in 1910!

Delivery people here, I never know what's going to happen. The good ones tuck packages behind a post at the top of my porch steps. The brainless ones just leave it in front of the door, happens a lot. AFAIK, nobody's actually walked up my steps and swiped a package. Like I said above, an Amazon package supposedly delivered I never saw, could have been delivered to the wrong address, AFAIK. But giving it to somebody who doesn't live here? WTF! I hope that creep gets fired. They have no business delivering packages.

Been a long time since I got a UPS delivery here, tons of USPS, once in a while Fedex or a low profile service. I don't have Amazon Prime. I order from Amazon once in a while, but I don't know who delivers the boxes. Got one the other day. AFAIK, it's USPS.

I hate that this happened. I'm generally nervous about deliveries. This makes it worse, of course. Usually there's a lot more than $8.20 at stake.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

I just knowed I shouda patented it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Oh, and dig, we got prisons for people like you.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
One of the best things of living in an apartment building that has its own mail room is, .....
at least you know an outsider will not be the one who gets tbe packave. Thus it would be someone in the apartment who received it, and might be nice enough to inform me about it a,d give me the package.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I did a feedback thing for my delivery at USPS page, noticed timeline for this delivery. I have a number for local PO and I called it and got an employee and explained. She got the tracking number from me and called the delivery guy and I could hear the whole conversation. He said literally, "there were a shitload of packages for that block." What a blockhead. He's supposed to come back to the block, report to whomever, and I should hear back from them. Otherwise I'm supposed to call them back. I'm not holding my breath.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
One of the best things of living in an apartment building that has its own mail room is, .....
at least you know an outsider will not be the one who gets tbe packave. Thus it would be someone in the apartment who received it, and might be nice enough to inform me about it a,d give me the package.
There are advantages to most living situations. Living on the street has few of those, but one should not be accepting packages meant for others.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
all the major carries have screwed me over at least once.
UPS many times.
And DHL is so unrealiable I dont even know why anybody would voluntarily use them.

Mar 11, 2004
I'd surmise it's probably not "Left with individual" and the status is a glitch in the tracking system. There was a time, recently, when Amazon defaulted to "Handed to occupant" as a delivery status - whether it WAS or not.
Or ... maybe it was as you suggest.
(Can you stop with the "street person" terminology? Smacks of political correctness.)

WTF? How is that PC? If anything it'd be the opposite. He's not claiming its a homeless person for fuck's sake. He's claiming they just handed it to a random person on the street. What the fuck else would you call that? Is "random person on the street" less PC than "street person"?

Yeah, so people have caught those people stealing packages too, where the driver comes up to the door, puts the package down, takes a pic claiming its delivered, then picks the package up and takes it with them.

I would agree, but then Ring has been caught giving police access to people's stuff. I think they might be selling recorded conversations as well. Really shady shit. The wife of one of the execs is a politician and has been trying to neuter the recent privacy bill passed there.

I did a feedback thing for my delivery at USPS page, noticed timeline for this delivery. I have a number for local PO and I called it and got an employee and explained. She got the tracking number from me and called the delivery guy and I could hear the whole conversation. He said literally, "there were a shitload of packages for that block." What a blockhead. He's supposed to come back to the block, report to whomever, and I should hear back from them. Otherwise I'm supposed to call them back. I'm not holding my breath.

That's actually refreshingly honest (granted it wasn't likely intended for you to hear).

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I would agree, but then Ring has been caught giving police access to people's stuff. I think they might be selling recorded conversations as well. Really shady shit. The wife of one of the execs is a politician and has been trying to neuter the recent privacy bill passed there.

I have privacy concerns about Ring as well, which is one of the reasons I don't have one. Then again, Amazon & Apple have real people listening to my recordings, so whatever, I guess.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wait, you are saying they gave it to a homeless person?
Not necessarily, but they are not uncommon around here... at all. In fact, every time I put out my trash barrel on Wednesdays, not the recycling one but the for-landfill one, I see tidy little plastic bags with a twisty on them, usually more than one. I'm convinced it's shit left by a truly homeless person. That person probably has more scruples than the person who made off with my package, assuming I'm right about what happened.

I called the PO again late in the afternoon because they hadn't called me back. I got a woman with good English (better than the one I talked to before, who left work shortly after I talked to her). This new one had heard nothing about it. I filled her in and she said she'd talk to the carrier when he got back and she'd call me tomorrow afternoon. We'll see. I wasn't impressed with her warmth and humanity. Meantime, I have a complaint with the USPS at a higher level, they're supposed to contact me in 2-3 days, and one with the company who sent it to me who already told me they were sending a replacement, signature required. I'm really flogging this mainly because I don't want that company screwed... even though they aren't exactly a tiny firm. I guess it's the principle of the thing. It rubs me the wrong way, gets my dander up. I'm not a complainer, but in certain circumstances I will be.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
GF of mine used that term once, made an impression on me. In this context it's the best characterization I can come up with for a person who would accept that package from a postal person in front of my house. Even if they live in apartment or house nearby, they are in my view a street person if they have those morals. It's a state of being. Myself, I take nothing for myself if someone else has a claim to it. Nothing save currency when I figure no rightful owner has a chance of reclaiming it, i.e. found on the street, etc. People leave things on the curb here purposefully for anyone to take who cares to. That's different, but if I think there's a chance it was left there without that intention, I leave it there... always.