Fraudulent Charge on Credit Card.... What to do?

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
So I was checking my AMEX Blue statement this morning and I see two charges that I most definitely did not authorize. The first one was for $19.95 "Software Works Group." The second was for $79.00 and from "Managed Solutions Group." They both have the same number listed. So first I called AMEX and asked them what they could do. They said I can't dispute it until my bill comes, which won't be for 2 weeks. They did, however, tell me the times of the transactions and I most definitely did not order anything from them. I called the number and the company seems to be Managed.com. I called 10 times and no one has picked up the phone. What can I do in the meantime?

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
What do you mean you can't dispute it until then... tell AMEX you think somebody has your acct #, you want the old one shut off and you want a new card.

-geoff

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Contact your CC company immediately. The sooner you contact them, the better chance that they will cover it for you.

Nov 5, 2001
I work for the CIA. Just give me your CC#, expiration date, and security code. I will check into it for you.... ;)

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
Contact your CC company immediately. The sooner you contact them, the better chance that they will cover it for you.

maybe you didn't read it but I said that I called AMEX and they said they can't dispute it until my statement comes out...

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: cchen

maybe you didn't read it but I said that I called AMEX and they said they can't dispute it until my statement comes out...

um...

wait for your statement then?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
You own some domains and have them hosted and the hosting company got bought out?

Aug 14, 2001
Sometimes when you charge stuff to your card, the name for the company appears differently than the store that you bought it at. However, if you're sure that you didn't buy anything at those values, then get your credit card put on hold so that no other charges can be placed onto it. Then just dispute it when the bill comes in. Some credit cards (like my AMEX Blue) also let you dispute charges online and will credit your account until the dispute is settled.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
But they can cancel your account number and send you a new card. Tell them your number has been stolen, apperently.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001

That's bs. I've disputed transactions on my Blue with them the minute they posted to the account. Call again and if they still give you the run around ask to speak to a supervisor. It's especially important if you think somebody's got your card information. They should cancel the account, make a note that it was stolen, and then send you a new card with a new account number.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I finally reached someone at this Managed.com place. They said they'll look into it and call me back. If they don't get back to me before I get out of work then I'll call AMEX and put the card on hold. Thanks guys.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Amex Blue worked great with a problem I had. I booked a trip for around 2 grand, and the travel company went bankrupt and screwed everyone. Amex blue covered it for me!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Bull. I think you presented it to them wrong. You're not disputing a charge (a disagreement in charges between you and a vendor), you are claiming fraud and possible identity theft (which is criminal). Make sure AMEX understands that.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
ok wtf.... now citibank just called me to verify some charges on my debit card.... and more freaking fraudulent activity! WTF?

I'm really worried now.....

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Ok, so I just called Capital One to check my card (which i rarely use) but used two or three times in the past week..... and there seems to be more fraudulent activity too! what the heck is goign on here?

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Do you have all your credit card/debit card info stored in a single file on your computer? Or did you recently misplace your wallet for a period of time?

Time to start calling/cancelling cards and performing damage control.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Do you have all your credit card/debit card info stored in a single file on your computer? Or did you recently misplace your wallet for a period of time?

Time to start calling/cancelling cards and performing damage control.

I don't.... but I did recently use all three cards in the past two weeks..... this doesn't make sense....

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I dunno..... I really hope not. I have one backup card that I can use temporarily that I havne't used in months. It seems that this card hasn't been compromised..... I guess I'll be using cash for the next few days, though I don't even have much of that at the moment :confused:

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
You better have cancelled all your cards by now. Do that first, then try to find out what happened.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: benchiu
You better have cancelled all your cards by now. Do that first, then try to find out what happened.

Already done.... now I'm just waiting for the new cards and for the companies to investigate....

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Originally posted by: benchiu You better have cancelled all your cards by now. Do that first, then try to find out what happened.
Already done.... now I'm just waiting for the new cards and for the companies to investigate....

You're just lucky you caught it when you did.