fraps questions

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I had no clue where to put this so I will start here, if its the wrong section please feel free to move it someone. First off what this is about. I want to upload gameplay videos on YouTube for someone to see how well my sig rig plays games, now to the questions.

When I am recording a video how can I make my fps stay in the corner of the video so everyone can see?
What is the best way to record if my Res is 1280x720?
My 30 second clip at 12x7 was 500mb how can I shrink it to 100mb to play on YouTube?

I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated, thanks

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I had no clue where to put this so I will start here, if its the wrong section please feel free to move it someone. First off what this is about. I want to upload gameplay videos on YouTube for someone to see how well my sig rig plays games, now to the questions.

When I am recording a video how can I make my fps stay in the corner of the video so everyone can see?

If the game supports it, you can set it via command. BF3 for example, its "render.showfps 1". Otherwise, you would need something to display the frame rate. MSI Afterburner is free (which also records btw), and it can display the frame rate and you can use Fraps to record it. Just be aware that Fraps will cap your framerate to what your recording frame rate is, so its not reliable. Also, recording at a high frame rate will actually lower your in game frame rate. I have done videos like this, and I use the in game frame rate counter and use Dxtory. That way the recording will not effect the results.

What is the best way to record if my Res is 1280x720?

Fraps is limited in this way. On a 2560x1440, you can record at 1/2. Unfortunately there is no 3/4 setting (if your native resolution is 1080p). What you can do is set the game to 1280x720, and play windowed. Dxtory is better in this regard, as you can set the capture resolution independent of the game resolution, and it'll scale on the fly. MSI Afterburner can do the same.

My 30 second clip at 12x7 was 500mb how can I shrink it to 100mb to play on YouTube?

You just take your clip, and encode it H.264 using any number of programs. Something simple and free would be Handbrake. Virtualdub is also free, and would allow you to do some edits. Others have been know to use Windows Movie Maker. Otherwise, use a video editor to make cuts and add titles, transitions, etc. Vegas is popular in the Youtube community, but there are many free options.

I've never done this before so any help would be appreciated, thanks

Good luck! And post your videos when you get going. Its generally frowned upon to make threads to drive up traffic on your videos, but no one should mind in this thread. Fraps is cheaper than Dxtory, but its somewhat outdated. If I was starting fresh and didnt already purchase Fraps and Dxtory, I would go with MSI Afterburner. If you are pirating (ya ya, dont do it - but people do it anyways), go with Dxtory.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I am using the fraps free version so my clip is only 30 seconds long. I am trying to record a mw3 single player video so I can show some people what my CPU can do as a budget build at 1280x720

Its fine with me if fraps records it at 30 fps, people will still see there is no lag and that's basically what I'm going for here, i will try to run the msi program at the same time so the framerate will be shown also.

I figure if I start a video and soon as it stops hit the hotkey again and continue so the video is at least a minute long which is enough time to see how its running. I appreciate the help, I'm gonna try to do some of it if not all of it tonight.

The last thing I want is to try to reel people in for views on my videos. I just want people to see what this sandy bridge celeron is capable of. Thank-you so much I really appreciate the help

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
The built-in Fraps framerate overlay shows up in my recorded Fraps videos. On the 'FPS' tab, there is a box in the lower right corner; click a corner and frames per second will be displayed in an overlay.

As for using the free version, I finally took the plunge and bought Fraps this build. I've been using Fraps for years, and like it, so I bought it. Take it from someone that literally captured a hundred hours of 30 second free-Fraps videos... the ability to capture unlimited length videos is totally worth it (although Fraps will split them - size issue I guess).

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I just recorded some game play, back to changing the settings I guess, its staying locked at 30 fps in the video. Ill try it again real quick. Taking a smoke break because I got a feeling I'm gonna be up late doing this lol.

After I get the video recorded how long do you think take to encode it on my PC? When its ready for upload ill transfer it to my phone and upload it on my 4g it will be like 5 times faster

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I recorded the chopper fight again and the same thing it is showing my FPS at 60 when the max I actually got was 42fps
LOL oh well when I have more time to mess around with it I will give it another go

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I believe fraps has an option in the overlay or capture settings to include the FPS counter in the actual recordings itself.

Be careful not to get confused with fraps running, if you play back video footage with fraps running then fraps will display the FPS of the video as its played back which can be confusing. Make sure to completely close fraps (unload from the system tray) before playing back any clips if you're testing to see if you captured the frame rate overlay or not.

If you want to record a res of 1280x720 and you use that resolution in game then simply keep your in game resolution at 1280x720 and set fraps to record full screen/resolution and you'll get a 1280x720 video.

Compression is simplest in something like windows movie maker, you don't need to worry about settings and codecs and stuff like that, you can compress it down to 100mb or so, then upload that to Youtube which will only further compress it.

I'm not sure what frame rate youtube supports but I'd honestly be surprised if it exceeds 30fps, you'd probably be best off locking fraps to record at 30fps, it's also going to make file size smaller and conversion faster. The speed at which movie maker will process the final video will mostly depend on your CPU speed.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Yeah, as Frosty said the 60fps is the refresh of your monitor. You have to unload Fraps to see if the frame rate was burned in. Unless I'm missing something, the include frame rate overlay only applies to screenshots, not recorded video. This has been a requested feature of fraps for some time.

The problem with recording at 1280x720 is if that isnt your monitors native resolution. It will look like crap when you are playing. If its a one time thing for a short duration, it might not be bad. Any longer, from an esthetic point of view, its better to play windowed.

Youtube only supports 30fps max. And Youtube always seems to recompress your video, even if it is within the supported specs. Most encoders have Youtube presets, but for 720p30 having a data rate higher than 5Mbps is a waste since I think thats the current Youtube limit, and what it will be recompressed to.