France to veto another U.N. resolution *Poll Included*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Damn, you can't even practice extortion any more without a bunch of imitators trying to get into the act.

that is one of the sickest things i have ever heard. not single family member would choose to trade their loved one for any amount of money. libya sponsored and supported these terrorists in their killings of innocent civilians and are lucky to get off this easy. any indivual guilty of a crime goes to jail but that cannot be applied in this case.

by your line of reasoning, anyone who commits a crime and goes to jail or pays a fine has been extorted.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: kaizersose
Damn, you can't even practice extortion any more without a bunch of imitators trying to get into the act.

that is one of the sickest things i have ever heard. not single family member would choose to trade their loved one for any amount of money. libya sponsored and supported these terrorists in their killings of innocent civilians and are lucky to get off this easy. any indivual guilty of a crime goes to jail but that cannot be applied in this case.

by your line of reasoning, anyone who commits a crime and goes to jail or pays a fine has been extorted.

Still a quid pro quo. You give us the money, we lift the sanctions. France can do same thing too. Use their veto as a negotiating tool, just like us. That's what a veto is. Any dissatisfied party that holds veto power can block the lifting of the sanctions. Eventually once Lybia satisfies all the veto holding powers, then the deal will go through.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
veto it. $$ for lifting economic sanctions is absurd in the first place, but if its going to happen, the french deserve more $$ for the lives they lost.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Veto. In another article I read some French families recieved as little as $3000. I don't see a problem with them wanting more, its not like Libya can't afford it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: kaizersose

Sorry to offend you kai. It's not the victims who negotiate a deal or who play politics with the issue, it the countries. I just hope you hadn't factored that in and weren't taking a cheep shot.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole
veto it. $$ for lifting economic sanctions is absurd in the first place, but if its going to happen, the french deserve more $$ for the lives they lost.

Do the families of the 10,000 victims from the recent heat wave also have a claim against the government? Chirac was on vacation, many heath providers closed their doors, no policy was put in place to mitigate the lost of life, and the Health Minister was in Canada with the president and refused to return to address the problem. though they were "following the situation closely" from their air-conditioned hotel. Though Chirac is not to blame for the heat, he is taking a lot of heat for not acting more quickly and not having a contingency plan in place to handle such situations...5000+ had to die before he lifted the mandated 35-hour maximum work week...he just stayed abroad...and let them die :(

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
It's so funny how everyone has an oppinion despite the fact that no one has any real information on the subject.