France slaps $7 billion Euro tax on the Rich, Corporations and Oil

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Good for the Frogs.

This will bring about the fall of the EU and their little over valued Euro sooner that it eventually would have.

The money is already moving out of France. A lot of it is coming to America. I like this new stupid government in France.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
As if moving from one state to another is *the same thing* as abandoning one's citizenship to move to another country. Yep, you bet. Uhh-huh!

You've never ventured outside the confines of your own little personal world view have you? Nevertheless continue on with strawman attacks.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You've never ventured outside the confines of your own little personal world view have you? Nevertheless continue on with strawman attacks.

I didn't set up a strawman when I compared moving from one state to another as being the same as moving from one country to another. You did.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I didn't set up a strawman when I compared moving from one state to another as being the same as moving from one country to another. You did.

Yes you did and please don't back pedal. You attempted to use this statement in attempt to discredit my response with your falsehood that moving around from nation to nation within the EU is difficult. However this is a false point and in fact it is one of the major benefits which is touted by the EU because everyone is guaranteed "Freedom of movement" within the EU which allows changing citizenship or living abroad to be a non-issue, especially for the wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement#European_Union

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/education_training_youth/lifelong_learning/l33152_en.htm

The Union has adopted a Directive on the right of citizens of the Union to move and reside freely within the Member States, which brings together the piecemeal measures found in the complex body of legislation that has governed this matter to date. The new measures are designed, among other things, to encourage Union citizens to exercise their right to move and reside freely within Member States, to cut back administrative formalities to the bare essentials, to provide a better definition of the status of family members, to limit the scope for refusing entry or terminating the right of residence and to introduce a new right of permanent residence.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yes you did and please don't back pedal. You attempted to use this statement in attempt to discredit my response with your falsehood that moving around from nation to nation within the EU is difficult. However this is a false point and in fact it is one of the major benefits which is touted by the EU because everyone is guaranteed "Freedom of movement" within the EU which allows changing citizenship or living abroad to be a non-issue, especially for the wealthy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_movement#European_Union

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/education_training_youth/lifelong_learning/l33152_en.htm

Yawn. It's still not "the same" as moving from state to state which is what you attempted to show with your link.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Yawn. It's still not "the same" as moving from state to state which is what you attempted to show with your link.

It may not be exactly 100% the same but moving from one EU member state to another is very much a non-issue, especially for the wealthy it is even less of a non-issue. Permanent residency is a guaranteed right to all EU citizens who move from one Union member state to another, if they meet the lax criteria to move and permanently reside in another EU nation. All of which discredits your starwman focus in a attempt to redirect for the focus of the conversation to nullify counter-points points you disagree with in this thread.

Again straight form the source.

General provisions

This proposal is designed to regulate:

the conditions in which Union citizens * and their families * exercise their right to move and reside freely within the Member States;

the right of permanent residence;

restrictions on the aforementioned rights on grounds of public policy, public security or public health.

In essence all EU citizens have "supra natural citizenship" that allows them to work and live in EU member nations without much hassle or fuss. Short of being a criminal, a known terrorist or being a source vector and host for a apocalyptic "zombie-plague", moving from one nation or another is not a huge burden at all.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
You know, I hear that raising taxes on wealthy individuals will cause them to move out of (insert nation here), but why do we believe that without evidence? All I typically see are anecdotal stories or conjecture by people who are anything but wealthy. They say, "If they raise taxes like this I'm going to move to another country!", but when push comes to shove - would/did they? There's a lot more advantages to living in the US (or similar first world country) than the tax rates.

Can anyone cite an example where a tax increase caused a statistically significant number of wealthy people to move out of their country? More to the point, can anyone show where a tax increase of this type on the wealthy has either decreased total revenue or depressed overall economic output?

Umm...There IS plenty of evidence of rich people/businesses in France moving to Switzerland.
Google it.

France(and most European countries in fact) does not tax it's citizens on worldwide income like they practice stupidly here in the US.

French, British, and Germans that stuff their money in Swiss banks don't have to pay taxes on them, unlike here in the US.
You can in fact move to Switzerland to evade this tax increase while still retaining your French citizenship.
There's nothing illegal about that.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
If rich people are so adverse to paying back into the systems that enabled them to become rich in the first place, then they should be encouraged to leave, and as quickly as possible.

We don't want them, and they won't be missed.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
If rich people are so adverse to paying back into the systems that enabled them to become rich in the first place, then they should be encouraged to leave, and as quickly as possible.

We don't want them, and they won't be missed.

Who would pay for all the stuff you libs give away?

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
forgive me if i'm wrong, but didn't a bunch of french rich peeps ask to be taxed more or at least indicate they wanted to help their country?

yep, here we go
http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2011/08/23/frances-rich-say-tax-us-more/

maybe they're doing something americas rich don't understand - being patriotic and helping their fellow countryman out by paying their share instead of hoarding money and slowly causing the collapse of the middle class. helping the society that allowed them to become rich in the 1st place.

tis odd, but the french do have more backbone than the US and the UK. especially during the UK fuel protests 12 odd years ago

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
forgive me if i'm wrong, but didn't a bunch of french rich peeps ask to be taxed more or at least indicate they wanted to help their country?

yep, here we go

maybe they're doing something americas rich don't understand - being patriotic and helping their fellow countryman out by paying their share instead of hoarding money and slowly causing the collapse of the middle class. helping the society that allowed them to become rich in the 1st place.

tis odd, but the french do have more backbone than the US and the UK. especially during the UK fuel protests 12 odd years ago

Yup. Vodafone managed to dodge £6 billion through tax avoidance here in the UK.

They have agreed to pay back £1 billion of it, over a period of five years.

If the government had any bottle, they would have called Vodafone's bluff, and told them to piss off out of the country; I am sure that the likes of O2 and 3 Mobile would have been more than happy to snap up their old customers.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Time will tell if 50% of the rich leave France.

They would be so better off if they did so would the U.S.

That means more than 50% of the posters in here would leave the U.S. too and the U.S. would be so better off as well.

The rich leaving France and the U.S. leaves real French and real Americans behind to re-build their respective countries without the greedy bastards that have destroyed them.

Good riddance.

1 question:

Who exactly is going to pay for said "rebuilding"?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

yep, here we go

Falling back on the tired and failed policies of blaming everything on the faceless "rich" does not constitute having a backbone. It's the same easy way out that every leftist takes: Blaming someone else for your problems; fomenting class hatred among your countrymen. That's leadership only to leftists.

Backbone constitutes living within your means in the first place.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
France slaps 7 billion euros in taxes on rich, big firms

Good, they need to pay their fair share.

I don't know about france, but if 1% of the population controls 99% of the wealth, then that 1% should pay 99% of the taxes.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Falling back on the tired and failed policies of blaming everything on the faceless "rich" does not constitute having a backbone. It's the same easy way out that every leftist takes: Blaming someone else for your problems; fomenting class hatred among your countrymen. That's leadership only to leftists.

What does any of this even mean?

Have you already forgotten who caused the recession?

Clue: It wasn't poor people buying plasma TVs and iPhones.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
What does any of this even mean?

Guess I have to repeat myself.

Have you already forgotten who caused the recession?

Clue: It wasn't poor people buying plasma TVs and iPhones.

Who do you think caused the recession? Rich people hoarding all the wealth?

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You know, I hear that raising taxes on wealthy individuals will cause them to move out of (insert nation here), but why do we believe that without evidence? All I typically see are anecdotal stories or conjecture by people who are anything but wealthy. They say, "If they raise taxes like this I'm going to move to another country!", but when push comes to shove - would/did they? There's a lot more advantages to living in the US (or similar first world country) than the tax rates.

Can anyone cite an example where a tax increase caused a statistically significant number of wealthy people to move out of their country? More to the point, can anyone show where a tax increase of this type on the wealthy has either decreased total revenue or depressed overall economic output?

Look at New Jersey for an example.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Good, they need to pay their fair share.

I don't know about france, but if 1% of the population controls 99% of the wealth, then that 1% should pay 99% of the taxes.

Then they should get 99% of the benefits.

why should they support those that are not contributing?

See how far the logic can take you.