France sends Emergency Doses of Flu Vaccine to US, Should arrive within the Week

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
France has nothing we need . . . except maybe some troops for Iraq . . . and a couple of billion in loan forgiveness . . . and a couple of billion in reconstruction support.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
France sends Emergency Doses of Flu Vaccine to US, Should arrive within the Week

Next up, France named as a defendant in a flu shot lawsuit by an American trial attorney.

Passions

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Why are the French sending us Flu vaccine? Oh that's right, probably want some kickbacks in Iraq.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBBY RIBS
Why are the French sending us Flu vaccine? Oh that's right, probably want some kickbacks in Iraq.

I suppose both countries should just install a prohibition on trade because of the iraq war politics.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I wonder if the roles were reversed if the US would send a vaccine to France?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Gaard

Of course we would. We haven't sunk to that level yet.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: tnitsuj

I'm assuming you feel we'd do it unconditionally and without any other motives besides to help? <---this what I think

The reason I ask is because it looks like some feel that France has alterior motives for providing these vaccines...and the posibility of simply wanting to help is nil.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard I wonder if the roles were reversed if the US would send a vaccine to France?

No we wouldn't. France was going thru a deadly heatwave and all this administration gave them was more hot air.

:p

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: Gaard I wonder if the roles were reversed if the US would send a vaccine to France?

No we wouldn't. France was going thru a deadly heatwave and all this administration gave them was more hot air.

:p

What exactly could we have done about a heat wave killing off the old and sick?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole
No we wouldn't. France was going thru a deadly heatwave and all this administration gave them was more hot air. :p
What exactly could we have done about a heat wave killing off the old and sick?

If I wasn't joking, maybe I would have used one of these - :frown: - or perhaps one of these - :disgust: - or if I was really serious perhaps a - :| -

...but did I? No, I used the - :p -, the international signal for "chill dude, have a beer, its a joke". :beer:;)

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
The vaccines aren't very effective against the strain that's going around, unfortunately.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: rjain
The vaccines aren't very effective against the strain that's going around, unfortunately.

thats what ive heard. maybe france has some sort of super flu killing juice they can send us :p

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

If it were up to you, going by some of your comments in this thread, I'd expect you to watch them die on CNN.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Hang out in here long enough DVZ and it gets pretty easy to spot sarcasm. Especially when it's posted by someone who's known for it. ;)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Best evidence to date is that this year's vaccine (which is the same as last year's vaccine) is indeed effective.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Best evidence to date is that this year's vaccine (which is the same as last year's vaccine) is indeed effective.
The strain is different, and I've seen a number of complaints that it's not effective against that strain. No idea if that's better or worse than any other year, tho.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
It is not a perfect match for the predominant strain but this isn't the first time the vaccine has missed. If you want REAL information beyond the sensationalist BS from most media outlets give Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report a whirl.

CDC has characterized antigenically 215 influenza viruses that were collected and submitted by U.S. laboratories since October 1. Of these, 212 were influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and one was an influenza A (H1) virus. Of the 212 influenza A (H3N2) viruses, 54 (25%) were similar antigenically to the vaccine strain A/Panama/2007/99 (H3N2), which is contained in this season's vaccine, whereas 158 (75%) were similar antigenically to A/Fujian/411/2002, a drift variant of A/Panama/2007/99.