France Announces Early Afghanistan Withdrawal, Breaks from NATO

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well, the US gave up on Afghanistan in '03 and the only reason any of us were ever there was to fight the Taliban that refused to give up Al Qaida operatives that were responsible for the 9/11 attacks so why the world we would want to stay for something that the US gave up on 9 years ago i don't know.

I advocate a complete withdrawal of all forces from the area, if you want to stay there wanking your cocks, go right ahead but since you are now negotiating with the enemy, why the fuck should we stick around?

The change of emphasis from Afghanistan to Iraq will go down as one of most bizarre moves in history and perhaps the greatest error in the history of US warfare. It was the result of enormous ego leading to a tragic case of assumed correctness. What should have happened was to get in, make those who attacked and their supporters pay for their actions and then leave, all the while attempting to use 9/11 to reach out to the world and especially nations like Iran. We had a rare unifying opportunity, one which could have given meaning to the deaths of those on that September day. Instead "Vanity, vaninity, all is vanity" was how it ended, a failure which defines tragedy.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Those who say the people there do not want democracy forget that they have a much higher voting rate than all the western nations have (save those with mandatory voting, naturally). This higher rate is in spite of armed men trying to kill them for voting.

The only people who do not want democracy are those who want to rule as despots.

Iran had extremely high voter turnout when they voted for their Islamic revolution. Just sayin'.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
IMO nation building in Afghanistan is a joke. My opinion is to make sure that Al Qaida is smashed, then GTFO and let the Taliban have the place. If those people want their fucked up religion and customs, let them have it.

This. We'll never be able to "win" in Afghanistan unless we destroy their culture and convert most of the population away from Islam. This will obviously never happen so we might as well just accept that the country is a write-off. If you ban anyone from Afghanistan from entering the United States that will take care of the terrorism threat.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
lols, this is unacceptable after Libya. Sorry France you have to stay. you got us involved in that ridiculous fight over oil so you get to stick around and eat lead with us in Afghanistan. lols who am i kidding, the french don't give a fuck if they've viewed as hypocrites, they give less a shit about saving face than we Americans do.