France and Germany reject US Iraq plans

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
To the winner go the spoils. Spoils in this case are the huge expenditures and risk to our troops as far as the eye can see.
Does Bush really think he'll get others to pick up some of that burden now that the full risks and costs of this involvement are known.
The time to buy insurance is before you have a preexisting condition. It's something that even most village idiots know, but apparently not Bush.
The time to get allies on board is when you don't need them, because once you need them they won't come on board.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: phillyTIM

There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi annexation of Kuwait. Simple food chain math there--been done before by other countries and will be done again sometime.

There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <German> annexation of Kuwait <France - first time>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <German> annexation of Kuwait <Poland>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Chinese> annexation of Kuwait <Korea>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Japanese> annexation of Kuwait <China>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Cuban> annexation of Kuwait <Grenada>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Russian> annexation <massing of a jillion troops> of Kuwait <in europe>.

etc.

Maybe someday, you'll get "annexed" and feel differently.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: alchemize

There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi annexation of Kuwait. Simple food chain math there--been done before by other countries and will be done again sometime.

There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <German> annexation of Kuwait <France - first time>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <German> annexation of Kuwait <Poland>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Chinese> annexation of Kuwait <Korea>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Japanese> annexation of Kuwait <China>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Cuban> annexation of Kuwait <Grenada>.
There was absolutely no reason the US/UN should have gotten involved in the Iraqi <Russian> annexation <massing of a jillion troops> of Kuwait <in europe>.

etc.

Haven't I heard this somewhere before? :)

Uh huh. alchemize's domino theory.

You've GOT to be kidding.

Get a clue genius. It didn't work in Nam and it still doesn't work.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: tosberg34
Hitler, Mussolini, and the Japanese Empire were never a threat to America either, right? Seems to me that guys like you let these same people get a free pass back in the 20's, 30's and 40's until all hell broke loose. We've been trying diplomacy with Saddam for how many years now? 12? How many more times can you stand to get slapped in the face? The UN is nothing but a farce anyways. All it is is a bunch of countries getting together to do absolutely nothing except disagree with the US. If the US tried to push a plan declaring the Earth was round, all the other countries of the UN (with France and Germany leading the charge) would reject it. You guys couldn't see trouble if it fell out of the sky, sat on your face and wiggled. And this whole oil thing is udderly ridiculous. Is that the only soapbox you can stand on? Give me a break. Yeah, Bush sat in his office one day and said, "Gee, my family really needs oil. Let's start a war!" Drop your dope and get into the real world.

You have a cow?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BOBDN

etc.

Haven't I heard this somewhere before? :)

Uh huh. alchemize's domino theory.

You've GOT to be kidding.

Get a clue genius. It didn't work in Nam and it still doesn't work.

Tell me, ye of great cluefulness. Didn't you notice I left Nam out of there on purpose? But a great braniac like yourself can sit idly by and smell the ovens of burning human flesh and say "we shouldn't get involved".

If you were walking down the street, and saw a man beating a child, what would you do?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
You left out Nam on purpose because it disproves the domino theory.

To answer your question, if I walked down the street and saw a man beating a child I'd figure he as a right wing "Christian" fundamentalist. Someone you'd probably defend. :)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

To answer your question, if I walked down the street and saw a man beating a child I'd figure he as a right wing "Christian" fundamentalist. Someone you'd probably defend. :)
I left out Vietnam, because it clearly is not a "better place" after our military involvement. Every country post WWII is, along with (South) Korea and Grenada.

But again, you show your true colors with my analogy. You'd just stand by and let it happen. Darwin at his finest.

Wait, I made a typo, I meant to type this:

If you were walking down the street, and saw a man beating YOUR child, what would you do?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

etc.

I hope you realize that if we had let Saddam take over Kuwait, we would own not only Iraq's oil but kuwait's too. It was a big mistake stopping that takeover and the Bushes are kicking themselves about it , you can bet.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

I left out Vietnam, because it clearly is not a "better place" after our military involvement. Every country post WWII is, along with (South) Korea and Grenada.

But again, you show your true colors with my analogy. You'd just stand by and let it happen. Darwin at his finest.

Wait, I made a typo, I meant to type this:

If you were walking down the street, and saw a man beating YOUR child, what would you do?

Your true colors are showing using an analogy which promalgates the erroneous right wind radical belief that the nations of the world are America's children.

Perhaps you people should begin recognizing nations for what they are, independent soveriegn entities. Not America's children.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
PS

Why is it you right wingers always try to play to some emotionally charged analogy?

Reminds me of the question put to Dukakis during one of the Dukakis/Bush debates about what he'd do if his wife was raped.

Odd they didn't ask Bush about his Willie Horton ads.

Probably the two are actually one and the same.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

I hope you realize that if we had let Saddam take over Kuwait, we would own not only Iraq's oil but kuwait's too. It was a big mistake stopping that takeover and the Bushes are kicking themselves about it , you can bet.

I've lost all respect for you and your logic, Moonie. Your mirror is kaputz.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
PS

Why is it you right wingers always try to play to some emotionally charged analogy?

Reminds me of the question put to Dukakis during one of the Dukakis/Bush debates about what he'd do if his wife was raped.

What!!!? Are you serious!? Do you just convienently forget that it is the Liberals who use emotional rhetoric(fear mongering) all the time?
SS?
Welfare?
SS?
Employment?
SS?
Environment?
SS?

Hmm.. but yeah I guess it is a "right winger" tactic
rolleye.gif

CkG

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
PS

What!!!? Are you serious!? Do you just convienently forget that it is the Liberals who use emotional rhetoric(fear mongering) all the time?
SS?
Welfare?
SS?
Employment?
SS?
Environment?
SS?

Hmm.. but yeah I guess it is a "right winger" tactic
rolleye.gif

CkG

Social Security, (UN)-employment and the environment are issues. Not barely hidden racially and sexually charged right wing scare tactics.

No wonder you're so screwed up. You're world view equates nuts and bolts issues which affect the vast majority of Americans with the usual Republican election propaganda and dirty tricks.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

I've lost all respect for you and your logic, Moonie. Your mirror is kaputz.
That always happens when somebody sees himself in it. I'll keep my eye open for an example. :D