fragglestick ankle owee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I have to admit, this thread made me laugh - particularly how candid you are about pussying up on it.

At least the nice thing is said tissue will be somewhat more limber now...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
well, there's your opinion and then there's therapeutic knowledge.

you don't brace stable structures. they will weaken and become more unstable, which will tend to lead to a greater risk of injury in the future. you only wear one if the structure can't stabilize itself due to chronic injuries and repair causing rigity or laxity.

The strongest ankle money can buy won't protect from rolling an ankle on someone's foot. Ankle braces don't prohibit use of the ankle either, just limit the range of motion in the wrong direction, hopefully.

It doesn't sound like you're very familiar with playing basketball. Altho pro players don't like to wear braces because it limits their range of motion for sharp cuts, etc., their ankles are still heavily taped.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Heh. I honestly didn't want to get xrays. It was only on the urging of a bunch of other people that I did. I was really confused by the total absence of pain. I went in just for a piece of mind that there wasn't a fracture or detachment that I would make worse by getting back into playing too soon.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
The strongest ankle money can buy won't protect from rolling an ankle on someone's foot. Ankle braces don't prohibit use of the ankle either, just limit the range of motion in the wrong direction, hopefully.

It doesn't sound like you're very familiar with playing basketball. Altho pro players don't like to wear braces because it limits their range of motion for sharp cuts, etc., their ankles are still heavily taped.

lol you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
cure me? i don't have a problem.

i do, however, know what i'm talking about whenever it comes to sports injuries and rehab... considering i'm getting a master's degree on the subject.

Sounds like you have little to no experience, which is what I suspected. The way you were talking, I thought you were a high level athlete who practiced medicine. Yet you only practice blowing smoke. At this point I I'm surprised you backtracked and admitted you're ignorant.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Oooh, this thread just got gooder.

funny-picture18.jpg

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Sounds like you have little to no experience, which is what I suspected. The way you were talking, I thought you were a high level athlete who practiced medicine. Yet you only practice blowing smoke. At this point I I'm surprised you backtracked and admitted you're ignorant.

lol i didn't backtrack at all. also, i do have experience.

you don't brace stable ankles. you strengthen them by doing stability exercises (basically, training them in instability to be stable for when you do roll an ankle, or whatnot).

if you brace a joint, you are restricting it's motion, which, over time, atrophies the joint (due to stimulation of the motor neurons to fire, which increases tendon tension across the joint to help create stability, depending on the muscles needed to maintain stability), thereby causing instability.

professional athletes are able to roll their ankles, limp for a second, then resume playing. it's because their tendons and ligaments have been trained to handle an ankle roll by being trained while in an unstable position (for example, rehabbing an ankle on a bosu or a wobble board).

this is why you never see pitchers wearing a shoulder brace during a game or anything. the only times you really see anyone wear a shoulder brace is if they've dislocated their shoulder, sprained/tore a rotator cuff muscle, or had an ac joint separation.

athletes are trained to bypass injuries by training easily damaged joints (typically unstable joints, like the shoulder, knee, or ankle) to become more stable joints. they don't do it by bracing it when it's not injured. bracing it when it's not injured will lead to injury.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
lol i didn't backtrack at all. also, i do have experience.

you don't brace stable ankles. you strengthen them by doing stability exercises (basically, training them in instability to be stable for when you do roll an ankle, or whatnot).

if you brace a joint, you are restricting it's motion, which, over time, atrophies the joint (due to stimulation of the motor neurons to fire, which increases tendon tension across the joint to help create stability, depending on the muscles needed to maintain stability), thereby causing instability.

professional athletes are able to roll their ankles, limp for a second, then resume playing. it's because their tendons and ligaments have been trained to handle an ankle roll by being trained while in an unstable position (for example, rehabbing an ankle on a bosu or a wobble board).

this is why you never see pitchers wearing a shoulder brace during a game or anything. the only times you really see anyone wear a shoulder brace is if they've dislocated their shoulder, sprained/tore a rotator cuff muscle, or had an ac joint separation.

athletes are trained to bypass injuries by training easily damaged joints (typically unstable joints, like the shoulder, knee, or ankle) to become more stable joints. they don't do it by bracing it when it's not injured. bracing it when it's not injured will lead to injury.

"Bracing something that's stable" is an ignorant comment. Even what you choose to call a stable ankle can not withstand the force and weight of something like an ankle roll. Its often many times one's own weight on an ankle in an already compromised position. Strength is generally not going to overcome vulnerability to this type of injury, but flexibility, that is if you're lucky enough for a roll not be too severe a strain on the joint. However flexibility is also lost gradually with recurring injuries and accumulated scar tissue etc. (and age.)

The most important thing for the weekend warrior imo is to try and avoid severe injuries. And it's these players who's balance isn't as accute as someone who is playing every day etc., are more prone to land awkwardly and potentially suffering a severe injury. Not to mention that it's the most common and near-unavoidable injury a basketball player can have.

Last edited:

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
"Bracing something that's stable" is an ignorant comment. Even what you choose to call a stable ankle can not withstand the force and weight of something like an ankle roll. Its often many times one's own weight on an ankle in an already compromised position. Strength is generally not going to overcome vulnerability to this type of injury, but flexibility, that is if you're lucky enough for a roll not be too severe a strain on the joint. However flexibility is also lost gradually with recurring injuries and accumulated scar tissue etc. (and age.)

The most important thing for the weekend warrior imo is to try and avoid severe injuries. And it's these players who's balance isn't as accute as someone who is playing every day etc., are more prone to land awkwardly.

lol wtf? how's that an ignorant comment? when an ankle is stable (as stable as it can be, given its an ankle), it shouldn't be braced.

ankles withstand ankle rolls all the time in sports. most of the time, the players hobble for a second, then resume play. sometimes, a player ends up with a sprain/strain/fracture.

flexibility can be damaging to injury-prone joints... ligamentous laxity will cause more incidents of dislocations, strains, etc. strength of a joint aids in stability. the key is making the strong, stable joints more elastic and flexible without making them loose.

a good exercise is to practice walking around on rolled-in ankles as well as using a bosu for each foot and catching something someone throws to you (eventually, standing one leg at a time on a bosu and catching things someone throws at you). that will help maintain this injury from happening again.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Quit "lol"-ing in all your posts, you sound like a fvcking adolescent whiner on myspace.

It's clear you're going to be a shitty practitioner. Not because you know nothing first hand about sports injuries (altho it certainly doesn't help, holy sh!t you're shallower than a 6" deep olympic size swimming pool), but because you're an arrogant fvck. Arrogant fvcks make the worlds worst practitioners because they practice for their egos and not their patients, which they suck at listening to.

I'm just curious, wtf was wrong with business administration when you chose a major? You sound much better suited for an antisocial desk job. I'm going to have to chalk this thread up to a book-smart/life-ignorant debate against common sense...and since common sense is leaving the building now, you're on your own...same place you probably were before the thread began. ;)

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
What kind of thread title is that? Are you sure you don't want to post a "Kewl Poal" as well? Jesus.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Quit "lol"-ing in all your posts, you sound like a fvcking adolescent whiner on myspace.

It's clear you're going to be a shitty practitioner. Not because you know nothing first hand about sports injuries (altho it certainly doesn't help, holy sh!t you're shallower than a 6" deep olympic size swimming pool), but because you're an arrogant fvck. Arrogant fvcks make the worlds worst practitioners because they practice for their egos and not their patients, which they suck at listening to.

I'm just curious, wtf was wrong with business administration when you chose a major? You sound much better suited for an antisocial desk job. I'm going to have to chalk this thread up to a book-smart/life-ignorant debate against common sense...and since common sense is leaving the building now, you're on your own...same place you probably were before the thread began. ;)

haha how the hell am i arrogant? just because i explained to you how you aren't supposed to brace a structure when it's not necessary or else it makes it weaker isn't arrogance. you questioned me, i offered my credentials, then i explained to you, respectfully, why what i was saying was correct.

by the way, i've played soccer since i was 4 until i was about 21. i've had my fair share of ankle and knee injuries. however, i don't have to have a torn supraspinatus in order to know how to manage it and make it better. a surgeon doesn't need to have a torn tendon in order to know how to repair one.

this entire time, i've been respectful to you in our disagreement. all you've been to me is an asshole for explaining why you don't brace stable joints. you know nothing about me or how i am as a practitioner. i don't make accusations about how bad you are at taking orders at a drive-thru window just because i'd do something differently (and more incorrectly) than you.

bottom line, just cut it out and continue bracing your ankle if you want. i really don't care. i'm not here to argue about the standards of bracing joints.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Update: Played ball again last night. Over 2 hours of full court with no real issues. In fact had one of my better shooting and defensive nights in a long time.

:O

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
WTF man, I still can't run/jump well on my ankle and it sounds like I didn't sprain it as bas as you did. Still gonna play later on today so we'll see.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I've sprained my ankles so many times playing ball that unless i turn them 90 degrees and my ankle is touching the ground, it doesn't hurt anymore. i use ankle braces that i tie up now just to make sure it doesn't happen. (i don't like high tops, hence why i go with the braces.)

Apr 20, 2008
Yeah, well screw all of you ;)

I still cant run on my ankle. Playing basketball sounds more painful than prison rape at the moment.