FPS with customizable character build?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Are there any games that allow the player to build up their character (through experience points, etc) before taking him or her to online multiplayer?

I think Rainbow six 2 has this feature but are there any other games?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Just learning
Are there any games that allow the player to build up their character (through experience points, etc) before taking him or her to online multiplayer?

Rainbow Six Vegas 2? You can unlock equipment and outfit your character with different equipment and weapons. The weapons and equipment do have different stats, but probably not like what you are asking for.

I don't know of any MP FPS games like what you are asking for.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: Just learning

Rainbow Six Vegas 2? You can unlock equipment and outfit your character with different equipment and weapons. The weapons and equipment do have different stats, but probably not like what you are asking for.

I don't know of any MP FPS games like what you are asking for.

Yep I meant to say Rainbow six vegas 2.

This game claims to have an Xp system that can be used online --->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brink_%28video_game%29. But I am wondering if there is anything else out there that does this already?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
CoD4 also lets you earn XP to unlock stuff and allows you to create a custom loadout with some special abilities, but again, this is not anything like stats. Modern Warfare 2 looks to be similar.

Having characters stats in an FPS game just doesn't make any sense.

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Borderlands has that kind of thing, its like a FPSMMO and you can choose 1 of 4 characters, sort of like Diablo and Diablo II and you level him or her up. They claim there is "Over 1 bazillion guns" but I'm skeptical. I'm not sure how the servers work though.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Azeroth101
Borderlands has that kind of thing, its like a FPSMMO and you can choose 1 of 4 characters, sort of like Diablo and Diablo II and you level him or her up. They claim there is "Over 1 bazillion guns" but I'm skeptical. I'm not sure how the servers work though.

From what I can gather there are many base guns, but the stats for each and every gun you pick up are different.

As you gain levels you get a point to put into various skills/abilities/weapon specialization.

You can play by yourself, or with up to 3 other people in co-op (long campaign). Be aware though that anyone playing with you can grab anything and everything so playing with random people will probably involve a constant mad dash for loot over killing stuff.

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy

From what I can gather there are many base guns, but the stats for each and every gun you pick up are different.

As you gain levels you get a point to put into various skills/abilities/weapon specialization.

You can play by yourself, or with up to 3 other people in co-op (long campaign). Be aware though that anyone playing with you can grab anything and everything so playing with random people will probably involve a constant mad dash for loot over killing stuff.

If you can get a group of 4 of your "Friends" to play it becomes more of a, don't touch that loot or I'll come to your house beat the shit out of you.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

First, it is not an FPSMMO. It's not an MMO at all. It's an RPS, a roleplaying shooter. The action is handled just like an FPS, except it's not going to be like R6V2 at all, you are dealing with a fantasy game here. It has 17 million guns, a loot system similar to Diablo but much more complex and diverse, and 4 player co-op. So it won't replace a game like R6V, but it is definitely something to check out.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Malak

First, it is not an FPSMMO. It's not an MMO at all. It's an RPS, a roleplaying shooter. The action is handled just like an FPS, except it's not going to be like R6V2 at all, you are dealing with a fantasy game here. It has 17 million guns, a loot system similar to Diablo but much more complex and diverse, and 4 player co-op. So it won't replace a game like R6V, but it is definitely something to check out.

i'm sorry but it doesn't have 17 million guns. if anything, it'll have maybe 15 different guns with 17 million different stats. So you'll have MP5 +1, MP5 +2, MP5 +3, MP5 +4, etc...

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

i'm sorry but it doesn't have 17 million guns. if anything, it'll have maybe 15 different guns with 17 million different stats. So you'll have MP5 +1, MP5 +2, MP5 +3, MP5 +4, etc...

You, clearly, have not played the game. Or watched any videos. Or read anything on it at all. I can personally vouch for the lack of MP5's, and there being more than 15 unique guns.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Malak

You, clearly, have not played the game. Or watched any videos. Or read anything on it at all. I can personally vouch for the lack of MP5's, and there being more than 15 unique guns.

Even though I have watched several videos and read a few articles on it, I don't have to play it, watch videos, etc to know that they did NOT create 17 million different guns. they may have several different looking guns, and then use a randomly generated stat system for each gun. This is like WoW's weapons and armor. You have leather armor of the monkey which gives +agility, leather armor of the bear, which gives + strength or stamina, leather armor of the owl which will give +intelligence, etc, but EVERY ONE OF THOSE PIECES OF ARMOR LOOKS THE SAME, IT JUST HAS DIFFERENT STATS! THIS IS WHAT THEY DID WITH THIS GAME!

Oh, and MP5 was just an example I used to get my point across, which you completely missed.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
They created a random gun generator, so it is quite possible that there are a ton of different looking guns, though they're probably all pretty similar. We'll have to wait and see when the game come out.