FPS Suggestions - Great Grpahics and Great Gameplay?

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
I have put together a PC with a 3570k with two 7970's and a 2560x1440 monitor. I've been out of gaming for a while. Anyone have some recommendations on good first person shooters that can show off the power of this setup while also having good game play?

I am mainly interested in single player action. Last FPS I played was Metro 2033. So I am a bit out of the loop on good FPS games released in the last couple years.

MajorBrass

Aug 21, 2012
www.youtube.com
If you are after great single player FPS games with great graphics, here is what I recommend:
• Crisis- any of the games in the series, good characters, story, and often used for graphics benchmarking
• Far Cry 2 & 3 - Far Cry 2 is a beautiful game set in Africa featuring great character development, a freedom to stick to the missions and story line and/or to explore the huge sandbox type maps. I loved playing this game - simply beautiful with great flare and authentic immersive atmosphere and great weapons. Far Cry 3 has or is about to come out. If it is anything like its predecessor, it would be worth a try.

Aside from having great pc components, consider a 120 Hz monitor, if you have not already.

Battlefield 3 is also a beautiful game with a single player campaign but mainly centered around multiplayer. If you want to see some bf3 videos, check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/MajorBrassGaming

wbynum

Jul 14, 2005
Thanks for the info. About the monitor, I considered it, but decided double the price just was not worth it. I picked up two of the Korean 27" monitors for $285 each last week.

As you suggested, I'm thinking about giving Crysis 1/2 a whirl. Never have played the Crysis series. Just got to wait for the next Steam deal on them.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
unfortunately it seems that great graphics and great gameplay are usually mutually exclusive.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
im liking deux ex hr right now, but i wouldnt say the BEST graphics. very good though.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
I loved Bulletstorm. I may load it up again since I have a new monitor and card.

Feb 6, 2007
Crysis and Crysis 2 look great, especially with mods, and especially considering that Crysis is 5 years old. Battlefield 3 looks amazing, but it's definitely a multiplayer-centric game. I thought Serious Sam 3: BFE looked pretty good, but it's not quite at the level of some other stuff. Max Payne 3 looks great but it's third-person, not a traditional FPS. Borderlands 2 just came out and people have posted some pretty good looking screens from it, provided you're OK with the cell-shading graphics style (I have no idea about the gameplay though).

It seems like the games with the best graphics from the past year are all RPGs: Witcher 2, Skyrim with a whole bunch of mods or Dark Souls. Skyrim is the easiest for an RPG newbie to get into and it really shows off your rig; with the proper set of mods, it's the best looking game of all time.

Last edited:

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Skyrim is the easiest for an RPG newbie to get into and it really shows off your rig; with the proper set of mods, it's the best looking game of all time.

As much as I've modded Skyrim, I still don't see it being close to having the best graphic quality of all time (it is quite beautiful artistically, however). I think it has a lot to do with what almost seems like "dead" lighting and shadows rendering. It really reminds me of Source games in that regard.

When you compare it to CryEngine3 lighting, shadows, and their ridiculously amazing reflection rendering, Skyrim just falls way short. Metro2033 in stock form has higher graphic quality.

Look at this reflection....it's just stupid how cool that is.
continuumcarparkreflelf34s.jpg

(Check out the ceiling)
continuumbase1p88t.jpg

Skyrim excels, however, at artistic direction. It's really a beautiful game, graphic quality issues aside.

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Borderlands 2.

Graphically it's not fabulous. Art style and humour are both very subjective. But damn, it looks very very good. Crisp, clean, conveys the right kind of feel.

I think it makes my GOTY. Probably my first FPS that's been my GOTY since C&C Renegade or maybe even UT original/Quake 1/2/3 era.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Bulletstorm 2 just came out and people have posted some pretty good looking screens from it, provided you're OK with the cell-shading graphics style (I have no idea about the gameplay though).

All the links about this say it's been canned.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
I'm not usually much for racing games but Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit was cheap on Steam and looks great on my PC and my 40" TV using xbox controller.

Now as for FPS that others haven't already suggested... hmm...

CS:GO is cool, not the biggest graphical beast ever but... looks good

Tribes: Ascend?

There just aren't that many FPS coming out anymore.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
As you suggested, I'm thinking about giving Crysis 1/2 a whirl. Never have played the Crysis series. Just got to wait for the next Steam deal on them.

The original Crysis is one of my favorite games in life. With mods, it's pretty amazing to look at as well.

Sometimes I forget how amazing.....I loaded up a custom user map called Amazonia River this afternoon and had that totally floored feeling all over again. This engine was developed almost 7 years ago and it still blows 99% of what's out there away.

amazonia.jpg

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
As much as I've modded Skyrim, I still don't see it being close to having the best graphic quality of all time (it is quite beautiful artistically, however). I think it has a lot to do with what almost seems like "dead" lighting and shadows rendering. It really reminds me of Source games in that regard.

When you compare it to CryEngine3 lighting, shadows, and their ridiculously amazing reflection rendering, Skyrim just falls way short. Metro2033 in stock form has higher graphic quality.

Look at this reflection....it's just stupid how cool that is.
continuumcarparkreflelf34s.jpg

(Check out the ceiling)
continuumbase1p88t.jpg

Skyrim excels, however, at artistic direction. It's really a beautiful game, graphic quality issues aside.

So is this a mod or series of mods for Crysis 2? If so, where can I download?

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
So is this a mod or series of mods for Crysis 2? If so, where can I download?

Those screenshots are just from a (very) alpha-stage mod from a guy at CryDev.

Here's a link....you can DL a little part of it (the parking garage/lab area) if you just want to walk around and check some stuff out:

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=70227

The parking garage and a few other things are pretty cool. Best parking garage environment I've seen:

carpark8k2pqsm3.jpg

bustationcorridor14k8isc2.jpg

galaxybluespacestatio28sol.jpg

Last edited:

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
Crysis and Warhead are a must in my opinion, I always loved both and just recently started a new playthrough on my new rig and the game still shines.
Should also consider the STALKER games with COMPLETE mod and Serious Sam 3.

Last edited:

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
I saw a post up there about bulletstorm. I agree, this game looks really good. Not metro 2033 or BF3 good but its for lack of terms, a "Pretty world" you are in. And the game play is pretty good if you don't mind alot of gore and vulgarity.