FPS & Refresh Rate

Submit

Jan 29, 2001
I am trying to figure out at what settings to play my games, and came upon question. Say you are playing Battlefield 1942 and the refresh rate of the monitor is at 85hz but you are only getting 50 to 60 FPS. Will there be any visual defect on the screen? Do the FPS have anything to do at all with the Refresh Rate?

TIA

stebesplace

Nov 18, 2002
no, no, no

your refreshrate is only for your monitor, no performance issues, rather for your eye's, the fps is all about how good a processor you have, and how well your video card etc. .

-Steve

Submit

Jan 29, 2001
I have been trying to read up on this topic and one of the articles I read here, says
ACTUAL FRAMES PER SECOND IS EQUAL TO YOUR REFRESH RATE!

I think I need to do more reading....

Kingofcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2000
Refresh rate is how fast the crt monitor scanning horizontally and vertically or how fast the screen is updated in every second.
a crt monitor displaying at 75Hz (vertical) means in 1 second it goes from top left corner to buttom right corner ZZZing 75 times.

fps is simple, for 24/30 fps movie/tv/animation, 24/30 static pictures is showed in 1 second.

Why everybody says 24fps movie/tv/animation is already smooth enough for eyes, but need min. 75Hz for crt monitor to be flicker-free,
because movie/tv/animation has only small amount of stuff changed in every frame, but crt monitor's ZZZing is very obvious to eyes if it's not ZZZing very very fast.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
fps is simple, for 24/30 fps movie/tv/animation, 24/30 static pictures is showed in 1 second.

Not quite that simple:
*Film is displayed by projecting light through a series of single frames (pictures) at 24 FPS at the theater.
*Broadcasting that same film over the air is displayed by a process known as telecine (3-2 pulldown) to create 10 video fields from 4 film frames. This form of telecine alternates between creating 3 fields from a film frame and 2 fields from a film frame, then displayed like broadcast video below at 30 FPS.
*TV (Broadcast video) is displayed by drawing every other scan line left to right, top to bottom (1 field) then interlacing the 2 fields composed of every other scan line (odd and even) every 1/60th of a second to create each frame at 30FPS.
*Progressive scan video (DTV) is displayed by drawing every scan line left to right, top to bottom at 60FPS.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Your monitor won't display a higher frame rate then your refresh rate, obviously. However, if you are running at an acceptable frame rate, like say 60 or 70fps, and your monitor is higher, like 85hz or 100hz, that's no problem.

Submit

Jan 29, 2001
I have set the refresh rate for 120 Hz for modes 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768. My FPS are roughly 60-90 depending on the quality settings. How does V-sync come into play at these settings? I have it disabled since my FPS are lower then my Refresh rate.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
If you enabled vsync, and you were getting 150fps, with your refresh of 120hz, it would only report 120fps.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
How does V-sync come into play at these settings?

At those settings v-sync would cap your FPS to 120 FPS, no need to disable it. You would enable it if you start to notice tearing (partially rendered frames resulting from a FPS above the set refresh rate) if you don't see tearing, it isn't necissary to set v-sync at all.

Submit

Jan 29, 2001
Ok, thanks for the repsonses. I have been testing for visual quality for many, many hours at this point. I think I have all my settings figured out to get the best quality at an acceptable performance.

I have been using the 40.xx detonator drivers for my G3 Ti500. There is another thread in the General hardware forum, saying the best drivers for G3 cards are the 30.82 drivers. How true is this? Are the 40.xx drivers optimazed for the G4?

Thanks for all the info.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Do the FPS have anything to do at all with the Refresh Rate?
They are indirectly related because they are both a measure of updates per second.
They are directly related only if you enable vsync.

If you enabled vsync, and you were getting 150fps, with your refresh of 120hz, it would only report 120fps.
Or quite often much less than 120 FPS, and as low as 60 FPS.

How does V-sync come into play at these settings?
Vsync will lower your average and minimum framerate regardless of whether or not your framerate is higher than your refresh rate.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Vsync will lower your average and minimum framerate regardless of whether or not your framerate is higher than your refresh rate.

by a hair, much beter too have one or two less fps than a bunch of torn immages though imho.

Bovinicus

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
VSync doesn't degredate performance too greatly. I really love playing games with VSync on. I used to always leave it off because I knew performance to be better that way. However, even with lower (Barely) FPS, things look smoother with VSync on. Tearing is just really annoying as well.