FPS Question / Finishing Titles

loginuser9999

Nov 20, 2012
Just a conversational question: I find a lot of FPS titles too boring / repetitive to finish.

Example: got Deus Ex: Human Revolution for free with my GTX 670. Picked up GTA IV PC on a steam sale. Played borderlands 2 through once on normal, but not hard. Played Tomb Raider about 75% through and got bored. Even for dishonored, played like 50% through and thought, meh.

Am I an easily bored gamer or are there others out there like me? I've always liked MOBA titles like League of Legends or RTS like Starcraft 2 or MMORPG like Warcraft better.

With all that being said, I was considering trying Bioshock Infinite as many say it is great and told me it might finally be a FPS I find interesting enough to play all the way through.

Love to hear some other gaming opinions.

Also, other than dishonored, bioshock infinite, starcraft expansion, tomb raider and far cry 3, all of which I have tried (I liked dishonored ok but found others pretty boring) are there any games released past 18 months which are MUST TRY that you guys would recommend? I'm trying to find something that hooks me again

Thanks!

loginuser9999

Nov 20, 2012
Oh, and I got Batman Arkham City last night for $8 with all DLC on a steam sale. It looks ok so far but combat seems super simplistic. Does the game get better?

Thanks in advance for all feedback

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Arkham City does get better as you progress through the game because you unlock new abilities and gadgets. Instead of just beating guys up, you learn new special moves you can activate once you reach a certain combo, and they are actually helpful since enemies get more difficult as the game progresses.

I just got Max Payne 3 recently and I'm enjoying it, but I'm afraid you wouldn't since it's very repetitive. Not a whole lot to do, you just run through levels and shoot guys. But it's actually difficult, which can't be said of a whole lot of games these days. That alone keeps it fun.

I wonder if Deus Ex would be more fun if you tried stealthing the whole game. Try to get through without any enemies going hostile. Also try not to kill any of them (except bosses).

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Try the new Xcom? Just Cause 2? Mass Effect 2? Sleeping dogs? Tropico 4? Psychonauts? Dark Souls? Driver San Francisco? Payday? Sine Mora? Even Saints Row the 3rd.

Last edited:

loginuser9999

Nov 20, 2012
Wow this is a great list. BTW AlexAL your avatar is awesome. Xcom (new one) i liked but repetitive. Tropico 4 was good. Dark souls was fun. The others I have not even heard of other than Mass Effect 2. I'll have to get on it!!

Was Mass Effect 3 good?

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Thanks.

I really liked ME3, but it was not much different than ME2. Also, get this bundle now. There are at least 4 really excellent games in it, each one worth the price of the bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/

And add to your list of games to look into Mark of the Ninja and Anno 2070.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Arkham City is great because it's rather flexible in how you can complete missions and explore. Sure there are some inescapable combo/combo/combo combat, but some places allow you to play MGS style with stealth and strategic takedowns. You're also encourages to use a lot of your gadgets when it comes to the harder fights. However, I found most of the bosses to be a let down.

Skyrim, terrible combat mechanic, lackluster consequences/legacy, great open world to explore.

Witcher 2, great combat mechanic, decent consequences/legacy, linear world but beautiful to explore.

Xcom, hit/miss combat mechanic(hard but not because of AI difficulty but rather bullshit numbers), amazing consequence/legacy(play on Ironman), great fun because of it's rogue-like gameplay.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I'm confused because if a game was good enough for 75% playthrough, I'd be sure to make it to the end.

I kind of get the sentiment though. I played through Uncharted 2 on PS3 and hated the gameplay but liked the story. I probably wouldn't have minded too much if I quit half way through.

Also I guess 75% can be very relative - if it was 75% at 75 hours I might not want to put in that 25 hours ;)

Anyways, I just played Fallout 3 and thought it was the bomb diggity. I very much recommend it if you are interested in a post-apocolypse era setting.

lilrayray69

Apr 4, 2013
Hitman Absolution and Max Payne 3 are worth a try. If you haven't played Max Payne 1/2, could give them a try as well.

Skyrim is fun, especially if you mod it

Metro 2033 / Last Light - may not be your style, but worth a shot

And I just played an indie game called The Swapper - really neat game with an interesting atmosphere to it

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm confused because if a game was good enough for 75% playthrough, I'd be sure to make it to the end.
A lot of games are good to start and either get tiresome or actually get worse near the end. So many games have a really bad final level that you just never feel like completing.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

I kind of get the sentiment though. I played through Uncharted 2 on PS3 and hated the gameplay but liked the story. I probably wouldn't have minded too much if I quit half way through.

Also I guess 75% can be very relative - if it was 75% at 75 hours I might not want to put in that 25 hours ;)

Anyways, I just played Fallout 3 and thought it was the bomb diggity. I very much recommend it if you are interested in a post-apocolypse era setting.
But you didn't "finish" Fallout 3.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
If you just powered through the main quest you didn't finish the game.
First off, I didn't just do the main quest so fail on that part.

Also, if anything else was required to finish the game, the devs should have made it so. Good attempt at trying to redefine what was published, though.

ASK THE COMMUNITY