FPS on tabletop - what would you like to see?

chrisnh

Oct 21, 2015
Hello everyone,
we’re a small team working on a multiplayer FPS-style tabletop game. What would you like to see in the final game?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, is it perhaps more like an isometric shooter? FPS doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I wouldn't like to see one.

Unless the table is mounted vertically and the table is turned on its side, no thanks.

Terrible posture; terrible way to game.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Hmm, FPS on a tabletop. Methinks there's not going to be a lot of room to run around, probably just a lot of falling off and breaking your limb. It'll basically be an instagib deathmatch. :D

Might as well just grab your nerf/paintball/airsoft guns and run around outside for a bit.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm know it's being called a FPS style game, but it is a tactical game. First person shooter does not compute in that game model. You are not playing in first person mode, and you really aren't shooting. It may be fun for someone who like strategy games. I'd call it a table top strategy war game.

chrisnh

Oct 21, 2015
I'm know it's being called a FPS style game, but it is a tactical game. First person shooter does not compute in that game model. You are not playing in first person mode, and you really aren't shooting. It may be fun for someone who like strategy games. I'd call it a table top strategy war game.

The reason for that is it includes many elements from classic FPS games.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
My thought is that by marketing it towards FPS gamers, you will narrow your audience too much. I don't think many FPS gamers would be interested in this type of game at all. But every kid knows about capture the flag, king of the hill and what not. If you are to have success marketing it at FPS gamers, it needs to have Counter Strikes name on it, which means selling it under them and having a digital version.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I don't know if I'll play this kind of game, but I am certain that you should stop promoting it as a FPS. FPS defines a specific genre of games and yours is obviously not such a game.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
This is called a board game. Not a FPS. FPS stands for first person shooter. The only way this is going to be in first person is if you're literally 2 inches tall.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
We already have Warmachine/Hordes and Infinity as miniatures games that are, in some points, similar to what you want to accomplish.

Warmachine already have Flag and Zone Control scenarios while Infinity is a pure skirmish "pewpew" action game.

BOOGY_DOG

Oct 21, 2015
I do like the idea you have here, my only possible complaint is it takes away some of the "FPS" feel, because there's no way to sneak around the map or move sniping positions without your enemy knowing you have done so. That would be hard to do in a table top, though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I do like the idea you have here, my only possible complaint is it takes away some of the "FPS" feel, because there's no way to sneak around the map or move sniping positions without your enemy knowing you have done so. That would be hard to do in a table top, though.
Back in the day, sometimes people would play Battletech in separate rooms, with a go-between that would coordinate visibility.

chrisnh

Oct 21, 2015

Well, that's the point - to try and eliminate those positions by proper movement and also luck. The "sneaky" part is that you do not see your enemy's equipment, perks and cards.

Tabletop FPS? lol, wut

Exactly.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Cool idea OP. Seems like it could be fun, but yeah I would call it a strategy shooter or something like that, not FPS.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
remove FP from FPS and you have an idea. this has been done many times before, with various degrees of success.

good luck finding a publisher.