Fps drops in some games with asus 6950 2gb

draigan89

Feb 16, 2012
www.optionsoftware.co.uk
Hi im hoping for some help, with this.

I got an email from the ebay user i sold one of my 6950's to. This card has the unlocked shaders anyway heres the email.

Hi again,

Well im having a few roblems with the card at the moment. Firstly Installation was fine all drivers were downloaded and has been working on some games perfectly. However when i try to play GTA or Skyrim ill have high FPS (60/70+) but frequent and random drops very choppy gameplay. Now GTA IV is hurrendous i can't play it even on medium overall its really choppy and they water on high looks terrible. My specs are: AMD phenom II 955 3.2Ghz stock, 8GB RAM 1TB HDD, 850w XFX PRO PSU so i can't see it being a hardware problem im wondering whether it would be better to flash the bios back to stock? Im just wondering if you had any problems like this ? Anyway could you advise me on how to flash the bios back? I have the stock bios on the disk you sent so thanks for that.

Would very much appreciate any help,

So.

Apart from flashing the bios back does any one else have any thoughts on this. Since im a little lost as to why this could happen.?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hmm, I don't have any direct experience with that exact problem, it sounds like the guy built his own OC at least, so maybe he can try this :

Whenever I have really strange issues that are hard to narrow down to flaky hardware or software, it really only takes about 30-40 minutes to do a clean install of win7 on an old spare hdd, then load the video drivers (5 minutes), then install something that was running poorly or crashing previously. This is of course after making sure the mobo bios is set to defaults, oc disabled, and disabling noncritical startup items to narrow down the possibilities.

Honestly it sounds like software problems to me.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I'm wondering if a virus scan or some other heavy background process could be the reason for his choppy framerate. Theoretically a heavy enough background process would use enough CPU that relatively CPU heavy game like Skyrim will cause a bottleneck. He could monitor the GPU usage with MSI afterburner while the choppiness presents itself. Also ask him to monitor the clock speed, maybe the card is downclocking and he just needs to apply a higher power limit?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Tell him to do some standard benchmarks for comparison to see if the card is working properly. 3Dmark 11 etc. If those work and give expected results for that card, then its either a driver issue or hes expecting too much and his settings are too high.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Tell him to try another game that isn't so CPU heavy. Have him run - Furmark or 3Dmark and check his temps and see if they both run with no error.