VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
mobo
ver 2.0 mobo
AM3 support notice

CPU support list
version 2.0 CPU support list

I'm confused by the fact that they claim AM3 CPU support in their announcement, but only the rev 2.0 version of the mobo shows AM3 CPUs in the CPU support list.

In fact, it's a little confusing, because I thought that the 920 and 940 were in fact AM2+, NOT AM3. (945 is AM3, and isn't out yet)

Even worse, NewEgg is listing the rev 2.0 mobo as an AM3 mobo, not an AM2+ mobo, even though the Foxconn mobo listing pages show AM2/AM2+ as CPU socket compatibility for both.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Read ATs review, AM2+ is backwards compatible with AM3. An AM3 CPU will work in an AM2+ board and an AM2+ CPU will work in a AM3 board, essentially theyre the same thing, all that changes is the motherboard having DDR3 or DDR2. All the current AM2+ boards will in most cases require a BIOS update in order to support the new 45nm CPUs. If they dont currently have a BIOS out, I'd either send them an email equiring when one will be availiable (sometimes they email you a BIOS revision) or wait a little longer closer to release of the AM3 CPUs.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Sylvanas
Read ATs review, AM2+ is backwards compatible with AM3. An AM3 CPU will work in an AM2+ board and an AM2+ CPU will work in a AM3 board, essentially theyre the same thing, all that changes is the motherboard having DDR3 or DDR2. All the current AM2+ boards will in most cases require a BIOS update in order to support the new 45nm CPUs. If they dont currently have a BIOS out, I'd either send them an email equiring when one will be availiable (sometimes they email you a BIOS revision) or wait a little longer closer to release of the AM3 CPUs.

An AM2+ CPU will not work in an AM3 board. AM2+ CPUs don't have DDR3 memory controllers.