Fox News posts pictures of possibly dead Ambassador Stevens *warning - pic inside*

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm not saying they should have censored it, what I'm saying is that something feels wrong with parading an image on your front page of a possibly dead US diplomat. Bury it in a news story - attach a warning label - something other than this.

This person chose to serve their country as a public servant. How do we repay someone who has made the ultimate sacrifice while serving that duty? Certainly not by making a spectacle of it.
So other than this, you're all good with FoxNews?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I wonder if any of the liberal Democrats here remember the Kent State photo? How about the iconic napalm girl in Vietnam? Maybe the execution photo? Remember those ? Of course you do, you remember them because of their bloody content and their political impact.

You damn hypocrites.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They posted it because they think it will reflect negatively on the President. If someone gutted that fat slob Rush Limbaugh on the street and had pictures, guarentee they would not post them.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
They posted it because they think it will reflect negatively on the President. If someone gutted that fat slob Rush Limbaugh on the street and had pictures, guarentee they would not post them.
Well one things for certain, Obama owns this one. Perfect timing IMO. His asinine policies have come to the conclusion reasonable people saw coming a mile away.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Well one things for certain, Obama owns this one. Perfect timing IMO. His asinine policies have come to the conclusion reasonable people saw coming a mile away.

If he had not gotten involved in getting Momar out you still would have been bitching.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
IMG_0389.JPG

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
It's in poor taste. Like American soliders who are dying or dead have a right to some privacy and dignity, an ambassador dying in the line of duty deserves the same.

I think it's fair that any US news organization that shows images of dying or dead Americans without the permission of their families should be rightly criticized.

Now whether the realities of war should be more visible is also a fair question. If graphic images of every US solider killed in Iraq was shared by the media, I strongly feel public opinion would have turned much sooner and aggressively against the war and all US troops would have been pulled out before Bush's second term even started, screw whatever state Iraq was left in.

Some initial pain would have saved hundreds of US lives and thousands of Iraqi lives.

One example of a graphic image - on one hand it lacks decency, especially if the family did not want it shared. On the other hand, a daily diet of this would have ended the US war in oh...about a month.
http://www.notmytribe.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/us-army-casualty-iraq-forbidden-photo.jpg

Last edited:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
It's hard to look at, but these are the kind of things people NEED to see. People need to see the reality as harsh as it is.
Yes, people need to see REALITY. The reality is that most Muslim people in the Middle East are not the evil people Fox News makes them out to be. There's a small number of extremists, and these people carried out a terrorist attack. Yet, a larger group of Muslims came to the aid of this particular victim and attempted to save his life by getting him to a hospital in time.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
For once, you're absolutely right. Obama should have immediately imprisoned Terry Jones and ensured every single copy of his film was destroyed, right? Screw the First Amendment, the last thing we should do is let American citizens do something that pisses off Muslim lunatics. Right? That's the asinine policy you're talking about, right, upholding the Constitution? That's simply absurd when we have crazies who hate America. Obama must make appeasing them his top priority. Yes? No?

Oh wait, never mind. You're just blowing noise again. You're too ignorant and too radically partisan to learn why this particular mob stormed our embassy. You just saw that something bad happened and immediately jumped on the opportunity to attack Obama. Fortunately for the RNC, you lack any critical thinking skills, making you an obedient little sock puppet for their propagandists. GG.

Last edited:

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
For once, you're absolutely right. Obama should have immediately imprisoned Terry Jones and ensured every single copy of his film was destroyed, right? Screw the First Amendment, the last thing we should do is let American citizens do something that pisses off Muslim lunatics. Right? That's the asinine policy you're talking about, right, upholding the Constitution? That's simply absurd when we have crazies who hate America. Obama must make appeasing them his top priority. Yes? No?

Oh wait, never mind. You're just blowing noise again. You're too ignorant and too radically partisan to learn why this particular mob stormed our embassy. You just saw that something bad happened and immediately jumped on the opportunity to attack Obama. Fortunately for the RNC, you lack any critical thinking skills, making you an obedient little sock puppet for their propagandists. GG.

I cant tell if youre right or wrong, or being a dick or just ignorant.

One thing I know is that obama is a fucking lunatic and this isnt the first time he has apologized to people that hurt America.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm mocking Boomerang's gratuitous attack based on his apparent ignorance about the trigger for this attack. In case you're equally ignorant, it was due to the widespread Muslim outrage at Jones' anti-Islam film.

One thing I know is that obama is a fucking lunatic
Thus proving that your feigned moderate-right position is empty BS, and that you're really out there with the other nutter hate-mongers. I have many disagreements with Obama, but calling him a "fucking lunatic" is projecting your own fringe irrationality.

and this isnt the first time he has apologized to people that hurt America.
So? Get something to manage your testosterone poisoning and recognize it's OK to apologize when one does something wrong, even if the other half of one's reply is condemning the wrong behavior of the other party. In simple terms, it's called "two wrongs don't make a right".

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

One thing I know is that obama is a fucking lunatic and this isnt the first time he has apologized to people that hurt America.

I see you nutters fell for Romneys bullshit hook line and sinker and are repeating his fiction verbatim.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Personally I don't think Abassidor Stevens was delibertly targeted, and if so, he was more like coalateral damage. Why should his dying or dead body look any better or worse than countless other fellow victims of coalteral damage who happened to be Muslim rather than American. As an echo of an American civil war song perhaps says it best. " A cannon ball does not pay no mind ifin you are gentle or kind, all on a beuatiful Morning"

As I also remind everyone, the USA did play an active role in ending the rule of Gaddafi, but that carries no gaurantee the opposition we supported will be better than a Gaddafi we opposed. Which is still a somewhat superficial ananysis because after the Lybian civil war, many civil war rebels still can't agree on the shape of the New Lybian Government and some still take up arms against their fellow civil war allies.

Its still is a is the glass half emty or half full question? As on the very day Stevens was killed the Libyan government elected a US trained Abu Shanour as the new PM. As Shanour is skilled and respected as a negotiator who may be able to unite Libya.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Hell - even Drudge had the decency to just link to the photo and include a warning.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Unfortunately curiousity got the best of me and I looked at the pic of the miami zombie's victim right after his face was chewed off and now nothing fazes me..

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
How horrible! A U.S. news station that is actually showing news and not filtering it for delicate liberal sensibilities. It's so much better when we have authoritarian liberal Democrats choosing what we can see and what we should be able to see. Shame on Fox for being accurate.

We'll remember this statement the next time a woman's bare breasts are accidentally exposed on prime time television. Naturally, no right-wing zealots will be outraged, because U.S. news stations should show the news and not filter it for delicate conservative sensibilities.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
We'll remember this statement the next time a woman's bare breasts are accidentally exposed on prime time television. Naturally, no right-wing zealots will be outraged, because U.S. news stations should show the news and not filter it for delicate conservative sensibilities.

I like boobs, it would be OK with me. Maybe Michelle can do a flash for her fans.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
I like boobs, it would be OK with me. Maybe Michelle can do a flash for her fans.

Maybe you could take the conservative cock out of your mouth, and stop being a little bitch for them. Maybe you like that kid of thing. You're probably too fucking stupid to realize that's what you're doing, so keep posting your hateful "Fuck Obama!" bullshit.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I'm OK with showing me what death really looks like. It sucks, it gets us pissed, it's fucked up. It's real. :(

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Maybe you could take the conservative cock out of your mouth, and stop being a little bitch for them. Maybe you like that kid of thing. You're probably too fucking stupid to realize that's what you're doing, so keep posting your hateful "Fuck Obama!" bullshit.

I think you meant to post "that kind of thing" not "that kid of thing". Proof read your insults and attacks next time, it increases the impact.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

How is this guy not banned? I mean just read his posts......