Fox News posts pictures of possibly dead Ambassador Stevens *warning - pic inside*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
... They need to deploy more marines to our embassies in the middle east and give them more leniant rules of engagement.

Maybe some robotic turrets and safe rooms would be a good idea as well. Anyone storms our embassies they should be mowed in half.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So news has to be politicised to not be censored?

It's a picture of a U.S. Ambassador who was murdered in a carefully pre-planned operation on 9-11 by Muslim extremists. It's a photograph that will incite the anger of the American people and aim it in a direction that liberal Democrats don't want it to go. It's a powerful image and it calls into account the words and actions of our President and our Secretary of State and their middle east policies. The people that are complaining in this thread, that are so angry at Fox news for showing the picture are angry at the political implications of the photo, not the photo itself.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It increases the impact, it's accurate, it's true and in this country we have freedom of the press.

Well...sort of

The United States, as of 2012, is 48th in the Reporters Without Borders Press Freedom Index.[3] This is a measure of freedom available to the press, encompassing areas such as government censorship, and not indicative of the quality of journalism. This was a fall from 20th in 2010, which was attributed to arrests of journalists covering the Occupy movement.
For 2012, Finland and Norway tied for 1st worldwide. Canada ranked 10th, Germany tied 17th with Jamaica, and Japan tied 22nd with Suriname. The UK ranked 28th, Australia 30th, and France 38th.
Extraterritorial regions of the US ranked 57th.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_press_in_the_United_States

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It's a picture of a U.S. Ambassador who was murdered in a carefully pre-planned operation on 9-11 by Muslim extremists. It's a photograph that will incite the anger of the American people and aim it in a direction that liberal Democrats don't want it to go. It's a powerful image and it calls into account the words and actions of our President and our Secretary of State and their middle east policies. The people that are complaining in this thread, that are so angry at Fox news for showing the picture are angry at the political implications of the photo, not the photo itself.

And there was me thinking that people were just cross at Fox news for cynically exploiting the death of a US citizen for their own aims.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You are full of shit, but that's hardly surprising. Speaking only for myself, the only "anger" I feel is at partisan trash like you that want to exploit this tragedy for political gain. Fox has every right to publish it, though as I said, I suspect there will be a public backlash.

As far as this directing Americans' anger at "liberal Democrats", that's just you OD'ing on your own mindless, hate-filled rage. Most Americans are rational enough to direct our anger at the slime who murdered these Americans. Only complete morons and the Republican fringe (but I repeat myself) will blame liberals.

Oct 16, 1999
Is this appropriate to plaster on the front page of your news site, if there's a possibility that that Ambassador Stevens was dead in this photograph? What kind of respectable news organization would do this if they were unsure?

A respectable news organization wouldn't do much of what Fox does. A sleazy tabloid news organization wouldn't do much of what Fox does.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The photo shows a group of Muslims trying to save the ambassadors life.

Yeah we know. It's still inappropriate to stick on your front page. Same as photos of people in accidents with the paramedics insitu.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The photo shows a group of Muslims trying to save the ambassadors life.

I certainly hope that was the case. I still don't think it's appropriate for the front page of a news organization. At a minimum, journalistic integrity and common decency requires that they verify whether he was dead or not. Even if they could verify that he was alive, out of respect for the family, I still don't think it's appropriate to use images of the last moments of his life to boost the shock factor of a story.

Last edited:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I certainly hope that was the case.

In the past, when extremists have paraded American corpses, the bodies are usually mutilated, doesn't seem to be the case here. Also, i read the ambassador died due to smoke inhilation, so at least it doesn't sound like he had a painful death.

Manic1

Mar 12, 2006
Of course that's not how Fox captions it. I'm sure it was quite intentional they used "dragged" instead of "carried."

Don't trust anything on fox.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444426404577647060576633348.html

Residents near where the U.S. Consulate is located in Benghazi described a harrowing scene of destructive mob violence that quickly spun out of control late Tuesday.

A Libyan doctor who lives in the same neighborhood as the consulate said that he and several of his neighbors attempted to get the mob of approximately 200 armed men to leave the area as they marched toward the U.S. compound. "We told them to leave our homes alone and one [of the militants] replied 'The Americans are infidels and we are going to finish them,' the doctor said. "Many of us then fled because the shooting started."

Libyan security guards were overwhelmed with the invading mob, said several residents and a U.S. official. Local residents, who fled the street, reported hearing heavy gunfire, as well as the whoosh of rocket-propelled grenades. Many residents poured back out on the streets within a couple of hours, when flames and smoke from the burning consulate climbed in the air, smothering the neighborhood.

At that point, the shooting subsided, and residents and Libyan security personnel jumped into the destroyed diplomatic compound and attempted to pull the consular staff to safety. Libyans carried Ambassador Stevens' unconscious body from the consulate and drove him to Benghazi Central Hospital, according to Libyans and U.S. officials.

Last edited:

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Tough on his family, but that's the way it goes. I'd rather have the news media show me what they have and not picking and choosing what they're going to show me. I can certainly understand why authoritarian liberals like yourself want to censor the news.

People like you make me sick to think we're in the same political party.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
It's hard to look at, but these are the kind of things people NEED to see. People need to see the reality as harsh as it is.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
His relative's right to not feel uncomfortable does not trump the rest of the world's right to information.

It took graphic images to get us out of Vietnam. Maybe if we start showing reality, we will bring our boys home, close up shop in the extremely radical shit-hole Islamic countries, and just let them blow up each other instead of us.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
People like you make me sick to think we're in the same political party.

If you do a search in the forums on "coffins" you'll see that a number of the same people that are incensed about this photograph at this time were calling for photos of coffins to be released during the Bush administration. Back then when they thought it would embarrass the Bush Administration they were very supportive of those shock photos, but now when it may hurt the Obama administration they act enraged.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
It's really unfortunate that the photo was captioned in that way; as I understand it that was post-riot and those people were trying to help.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
We shouldn't have wasted a single dollar saving that city from complete destruction.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It's really unfortunate that the photo was captioned in that way; as I understand it that was post-riot and those people were trying to help.

And this is coming from America's number one News program
Tomorrow when this American response hits those people in the other thread, they will probably toss those nice signs and Fox can do another story about how evil Islam is, why do they blame everything on America and how they all suffer from BDS

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
This is disgusting. However, atleast his body is in one piece for his funeral.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
The only reason Fox had it plastered up like that and especially worded that way was because of our sitting President. It has absolutely nothing to do with journalism or fairness.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
If revealing the identities of decorated SEALs is no big deal, showing a picture of a dead Ambassador is small potatoes to Fox "News," and I'm not surprised by the known douchewads rushing to it's defense.

Chalk up "images of the fallen" as yet another total position reversal by Banana republicans and Fox since 2000-2008.